Author Topic: KISS Video: The Flip?  (Read 2514 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
KISS Video: The Flip?
« on: 11 April, 2008, 10:21:57 am »
What do the wise heads here think of the Flip video camera?

It's a super-simple beastie - point and shoot, no funny modes, just record.  Dead cheap - under a ton for an hour's recording. 

Is it the kind of almost-disposable tech you'd consider using?  Or just a donkey for the mass market and you'll stick to fancy cams? 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: KISS Video: The Flip?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:09:45 pm »
In my books a donkey but then I be someone who has no gripes about forking out £8k for a camera for personal use :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2008, 02:29:17 am »
I don't think I spent that on my *house*!  So you've no time for the box brownie / lomography approach?

(he says wishing he could do HDR on his compact (!))
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2008, 11:07:49 am »
Only my opinion - but I wouldint buy a vc without some form of anti shake. It makes a huge difference to the watchability of the result (unless you intend to use tripod/monpod all the time).

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2008, 04:09:43 pm »
I think it depends what you want and what your options are. If it's a choice between nothing and FLIP the Flip is good. It's picture might not be the highest quality but so what. Also it would be great for kids. I cant believe how creative my son (11) and his friends are with the crappy video cameras on their mobile phones or cheap digital cameras. They make little films and animations and send them to each other or stick them on YouTube. The quality is crap but the thought behind them is brilliant and I would much rather they were doing something creative than spending all day on the PS2.
Give them a FLIP and they would turn into mini film directors. Hmm might have to get one. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2008, 06:19:04 pm »
Mrs Manotea teaches Yr2. I think she'd cut off her my right arm for one of these. Of course, the kids would have to show her how to use it...

I wish they'd allowed for removeable media though (microsd card?). The higher spec models give 2hrs+ on one set of batteries but there's a max of 60 minutes recording.