Author Topic: Mille Cymru 2018  (Read 56894 times)

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
Re: Mille Cymru 2018
« Reply #175 on: 14 May, 2018, 07:00:56 pm »
No, they'll still be available after the event.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #176 on: 14 May, 2018, 08:10:13 pm »
Fantastic, thanks John  :thumbsup:

« Reply #177 on: 06 June, 2018, 10:58:03 am »
Still no late slots ?
(asking for a friend obvs)

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #178 on: 06 June, 2018, 06:04:15 pm »
Sorry, so far we've only had a small number of cancellations and we're still over-subscribed. Unless that changes significantly there won't be any further places available.

« Reply #179 on: 06 June, 2018, 09:51:05 pm »
As expected.... friend is also looking at GT option.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #180 on: 23 June, 2018, 12:39:42 pm »
With just over a month to go I could use a few extra helpers. In particular,

A couple more hands at Llanwrtyd on the nights of Thursday 26th and/or Fri 27th would be useful.
At Tintern on the afternoon/evening of Thursday 26th

But we can always fit another pair of hands in somewhere if these don't suit.

Anyone willing to help, just get it touch with me either by PM on here or via email (details on the AUK event page).

Thanks, John.

« Reply #181 on: 08 July, 2018, 12:01:21 am »

There's more cols than vowels.

I lived in Wales for a time, but never quite grasped the language/pronunciation. Will have to work on it beforehand I think.

Welsh is a phonetic language

Googled a few Welsh language topics. Been visiting Wales all my life. Never bothered to pick up more than road signs whereas in other countries I've at least learned counting, greetings, please and thank you. What would the response be to an English numpty using a word or two of Welsh? Possibly suspect p**s taking or "sorry mate, please speak English? Or like elsewhere, an appreciation you're making an effort however inept?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I'm running the Tintern control and you are very welcome to speak Welsh!

« Reply #182 on: 08 July, 2018, 10:32:15 pm »
Random question:  Do we need bedding/blankets for the three overnights/few hours kip?
I realise it won't matter much if the weather doesn't change! !

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #183 on: 09 July, 2018, 01:26:38 pm »
Random question:  Do we need bedding/blankets for the three overnights/few hours kip?
No, airbeds and blankets are supplied. You'll need a towel if you want to take advantage of the showers. All covered in the info pack download from the event page of the AUK website.

You'd be surprised at how cold it can get in Snowdonia even in summer. Final night in 2014 was down to <5C even after a scorching hot day.

« Reply #184 on: 09 July, 2018, 06:31:28 pm »
I’m looking forward to my GT version of the ride. Planned stops in Abergavenny, Fishguard, Rhayader and Betwys-y-Coed. 6am starts except for first and last day. What plans do others have, or am I the only one looking for a ‘relaxing’ tour with time to enjoy the journey and eat well each evening?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #185 on: 09 July, 2018, 08:13:09 pm »
I'm also doing the GT version and planning a relaxing few days. I'm taking my very little tent (maybe the bivi bag) and will likely end up blagging pub garden camping spots and/or wildcamping. I'm not planning too much in advance as I enjoy the freedom. I will be packing a book for the evenings. How relaxing is that?
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #186 on: 09 July, 2018, 09:48:54 pm »
I would. I thought it was warm enough to get away without on mille pennines but I woke up cold each morning.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #187 on: 10 July, 2018, 08:26:02 pm »
Off to route check tomorrow (GT stylee as a helpers ride, staying at Raglan, Newport (Pembrokeshire), Llanwrtyd & Llanberis)

Phil W

« Reply #188 on: 10 July, 2018, 08:40:44 pm »
No, airbeds and blankets are supplied. You'll need a towel if you want to take advantage of the showers. All covered in the info pack download from the event page of the AUK website.

You'd be surprised at how cold it can get in Snowdonia even in summer. Final night in 2014 was down to <5C even after a scorching hot day.

At Bets-Y-Coed the early riders 7-9pm sat down drinking beers.  From 10pm riders came in shivering and were wrapped in a single blanket as they came in. From 11pm riders were wrapped in two blankets as they came in. Those who arrived after midnight were semi hypothermic.  Do not underestimate how cold it gets from Llanberis. pass to Bets-Y-Coed where you are not generating that much heat.

« Reply #189 on: 10 July, 2018, 08:59:16 pm »
And don't forget the early morning freezing cold descents!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #190 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:01:39 pm »
Off to route check tomorrow (GT stylee as a helpers ride, staying at Raglan, Newport (Pembrokeshire), Llanwrtyd & Llanberis)
Have a good ride. I've been route planning this evening and starting to get into to 'zone'. I've even booked a campsite. Looks like Sunday will be a short day.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #191 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:26:16 pm »
Indeed, good luck with the route check. I’ve got my stops sorted, but still need to look into places to eat.

« Reply #192 on: 17 July, 2018, 06:46:13 pm »

Did John enjoy it so much he’s going around again? Any news?

« Reply #193 on: 17 July, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »

Did John enjoy it so much he’s going around again? Any news?
Probably recovering i should imagine  :thumbsup:

Edit: The long range weather forecast is a tad hot
Eddington Number 75

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #194 on: 17 July, 2018, 08:40:17 pm »
Well, that didn't go entirely to plan. First day hot & humid, with very little wind so the climbs (of which there are plenty) were very hot. The heat beat us climbing Llanbedr hill - first time we've walked a climb for a long time (pushing a tandem up a hill is as hard as riding it) and the Gospel Pass was just a long slow grovel.

I'd been hoping the heat wave would break, and it did the following day - woke up to a grey and drizzly morning. Progress was slow up to Brecon where the sun came out again for the climb over the Eppynt. That was a false dawn though as the heavens opened on the way in to Llangammarch. Sheltered from the rain for a while over lunch in Llanwrtyd before heading on, but the rain had increased and varied between persistent and biblical. Foolishly I'd only brought a lightweight showerproof after looking at the forecast (which the weather clearly hadn't bothered to take note of) so now drenched and with the rain showing no signs of stopping any time soon decided that we didn't fancy another 4-5 hours of it over to Newport and headed back to Llanwrtyd and a B&B.

We'd route checked the Pembrokeshire loop not that long ago using the route sheet from 4 years ago and made no changes at all, so decided we could do without doing it again and rejigged our plan to tour round the remainder in slightly shorter stages. Dodged another thunderstorm whilst having lunch in the Elan Valley Visitor Centre - this one very localised as it was dry up at the dams (the reservoirs could have done with some rain). Glorious sunshine after that all the way across to Aber and the coast. You'll love the 25% to get out of Aber - walked that one as well although our excuse was that the polis had closed the road as someone had just gone straight on at the T junction at the bottom into the wall opposite. After that things are somewhat flatter up the coast and another glorious day on Saturday, complete with tailwind took us to Llanberis. Then it was just back over the mountains on Sunday to the Shire. 775k done in total over the 5 days. Wales is looking as wonderful as ever, if a tad less green than usual.

Catching up now - the route sheet for both events is updated and uploaded to the AUK website. GPS files to sort out now. As usual, seems like s**tloads to do with one week to go.

« Reply #195 on: 18 July, 2018, 05:30:40 am »
Many thanks for the write-up. Certainly brings home the challenge that lies ahead.

« Reply #196 on: 18 July, 2018, 07:55:21 am »
Yes - one week to go!  :o

whosatthewheel

« Reply #197 on: 18 July, 2018, 08:20:13 am »
Yes - one week to go!  :o

Better get on with those hill reps...  :thumbsup:

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!