Author Topic: Memory map question  (Read 990 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Memory map question
« on: 28 November, 2014, 10:48:08 am »
I have etrex Venture cx - from 2007. I used it for audax with Memory Map software, Routes, and then navigated on compass. Worked well.
Just tried to plot a route after a few years off and memory map licence registration seems to have gone to pot - won't download to the Garmin. Mind you the computer is an ancient dell that isn't used any more.
Can't fond the original installation disc so think probably should bite the bullet and get some new map software.
Is Memory Map good these days?
On Amazon the CD version is £30 but memory stick £300 - seems barmy.  My new Mac of course doesn't take cds!
Any useful suggestions form the panel?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Memory map question
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2014, 11:00:12 am »
MM has very much moved to the 'buy maps online and download what you need' model - which actually works very well especially if you have multiple devices (PC, tablet, phone) - when you get the hang of it and assuming you have decent bandwidth.  Means you can get the mapping only for the area you're actually interested in, but you can get several copies.  But of course having a live account makes the whole thing far more intrusive - doesn't work so well in an unconnected world.

Odd that your existing installation doesn't still work though.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Re: Memory map question
« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2014, 11:40:19 am »
Hasn't been used since 2009 at all, and seems to have got bugged, as e.g. route profile not working.
So I am thinking of getting new MM on the apple anyway.  Ideally don't want to spend a fortune on maps I don't need though - initially southern UK up to Birmingham seems to cover my needs - plus wales and devon/cornwall.
All looks a bit technical tough.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird