Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338584 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #625 on: 31 March, 2019, 05:10:54 pm »
Bagged some new Cotswold tiles, but no increase in cluster.  Left some trickier/more-of-a-detour tiles for another day...   ;)

Windrush valley...

IMG_20190330_17 by aaekoxon, on Flickr

Foxholes, nr Bruern.   Challenging on 28mm tyres with minimal clearance.

IMG_20190330_14 by aaekoxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #626 on: 31 March, 2019, 05:25:41 pm »
I did Foxholes on tight clearance 28mm tyres as a short cut on The Dean.  It was a mistake!  Those two puddles were far larger two weeks ago and I was scooting along CX-style almost in the hedge on the left.

« Reply #627 on: 31 March, 2019, 05:59:22 pm »
I did Foxholes on tight clearance 28mm tyres as a short cut on The Dean.  It was a mistake!  Those two puddles were far larger two weeks ago and I was scooting along CX-style almost in the hedge on the left.

I went left too, but had to get off, find a handy twig, and poke mud out from around the forks/brake calipers.  Nice beyond the houses back on tarmac, sun came out, hawthorn coming into bloom.

« Reply #628 on: 07 April, 2019, 09:19:12 am »
I did the Another Slice of Rutland 200k audax from Leicester yesterday.  It is a great route but I couldn't resist 'improving' it by picking up a couple of tiles that have been blocking my max square to the East and South.

A loop around the airfield to the north of the first control at Bottesford got me onto the Viking Way.  This is a gravel track that was a bit potholed and jiggly in places but perfectly rideable on the summer bike.  I then paralleled the audax route up the Belvoir ridge with a couple of minor spurs before rejoining it at Croxton Kerrial.

The southern squares were either side of Market Harborough so one diversion on the way into the Brixworth control and another one on the run back to Leicester picked those up.

This added about 20k to the route for an additional 21 tiles and a max square increased to 37*37.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #629 on: 07 April, 2019, 05:46:16 pm »
A dozen new tiles today took the max cluster up to 611. Max square still 14 (a several of).

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #630 on: 07 April, 2019, 08:44:26 pm »
55 km ride, some on Pennine moorland paths, with almost 1.2km climbing to get 3 squares relatively locally - Max square unchanged at a pathetic 14x14!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #631 on: 07 April, 2019, 08:53:27 pm »
14 sounds good to me  :)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #632 on: 07 April, 2019, 09:57:47 pm »
Thank you!
It will be hard to get some of these Pennine squares - no tracks or paths that are cycle-able on my steeds; I really don't fancy doing Kinder Scout and all its surrounding hills on a cross bike... That limits egress North and west.
To get a much bigger square will mean longer ventures south to include most of the Staffordshire Moorlands and east that will also include some fairly industrial bits.

« Reply #634 on: 09 April, 2019, 09:13:38 am »
he still has a few easy sections to cover. And a few sections which only can done on skates.

« Reply #635 on: 09 April, 2019, 11:30:44 am »
I'm now up to 2 overlapping 37x37 max squares and a cluster of 1998.

I've done a few I square bagging rides the last few weeks.  A couple of extended (90km) commutes to grab some squares around Loughborough at my south eastern corner of my max square.  This included a trip up Butthole Lane in Shepshed.

This weekend a ride up to the north western corner to grab the elusive Coombs square just north of Buxton.  This square has no rights of way according to the OS map, but there is an unofficial?? path along Coombs edge.  It was mostly hike a bike across the moorland, though some of it was rideable in places.

Then yesterday I walked (sans bike) up from Goyt Valley to bag the Shining Tor / Cats Tor square.

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #636 on: 09 April, 2019, 11:43:25 am »
Thank you!
It will be hard to get some of these Pennine squares - no tracks or paths that are cycle-able on my steeds; I really don't fancy doing Kinder Scout and all its surrounding hills on a cross bike... That limits egress North and west.
To get a much bigger square will mean longer ventures south to include most of the Staffordshire Moorlands and east that will also include some fairly industrial bits.

Walking counts. Kinder Scout is a good walk.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #637 on: 09 April, 2019, 03:25:23 pm »

Decent.

https://rideeverytile.com/2019/04/08/koos-w-is-the-new-leader/

That's impressive, in some ways it's reassuring, clearly showing which tiles are possible, I even have one he doesn't. But he also seems thwarted by the same 4 tiles between Apeldoorn and Arnhem, that are on military land.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #638 on: 13 April, 2019, 06:22:44 pm »
Ten new tiles today increased the max cluster to 655 and the max square to 15 (four of)  :)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #639 on: 14 April, 2019, 11:58:27 pm »
After uploading all my GPXs to Strava, here's my start point:

vv_tiles by The Pingus, on Flickr

Looking into the crystal ball I foresee many trips to the Northron wastes.

And now:

vv_tiles_20190413 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #640 on: 15 April, 2019, 08:20:38 am »
Went out for a 80km ride around Leafield to bag a handful of tiles, and extended cluster by 116 to 715 into the Cotswolds; now 20x20.

cluster_20190414 by a oxon, on Flickr

« Reply #641 on: 15 April, 2019, 08:59:10 am »
Max square now up to 38x38 after yesterday's 160km ride out to Cannock Chase to fill in some gaps at the south west corner of my cluster. 
Was good fun on the trails on my gr*vel bike, will have to go back for more of a play on the trails rather than concentrating on bagging squares.  Max cluster now up to 2065.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #642 on: 15 April, 2019, 06:57:52 pm »
I waited for it to warm up a bit on Saturday morning before heading off on a 115k tile-gathering ride taking in northwest Nottingham across to Heanor.  Lots of contrast with a fair bit of urban riding on some rubbish surfaces, some off-road tracks on what I believe was reclaimed spoil heaps with bluebells and primroses and a run back through Shipley Country Park.  The unforecast showers mostly missed me but it felt pretty cool in the easterly breeze.  I bagged 24 tiles and this gave me another 37*37 square with that pesky Atherstone tile still blocking me.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #643 on: 19 April, 2019, 10:45:26 pm »

A 200k DIY today helped me with another Municipality for the Long Term NL Challenge (the main aim beyond RRtY). But it also helped tick off some tiles along the way. I'm wondering if the best way to increase things isn't a close meshed ride with lots of deadends, but rather to do lots of parallel routes from A to B...

Did nothing for my cluster, nothing for my square, but explorer score is up at 6437...

J
--

« Reply #644 on: 20 April, 2019, 12:48:08 am »

A 200k DIY today helped me with another Municipality for the Long Term NL Challenge (the main aim beyond RRtY). But it also helped tick off some tiles along the way. I'm wondering if the best way to increase things isn't a close meshed ride with lots of deadends, but rather to do lots of parallel routes from A to B...

Did nothing for my cluster, nothing for my square, but explorer score is up at 6437...

J

Indeed. I check which square I can reach within reasonable time (1-2 year) and simply start planning longer routes to or from a railwaystation. In this way I don't loose too much time/speed by the constant dead ends and turning around. The downside is that there are quite a few months with no square gain, the upside is that there are quite a few times when I suddenly jump forward with my square score.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #645 on: 20 April, 2019, 10:50:39 pm »

Someone at the start of today's Amsterdam 400k Audax gave me their bike train ticket. So having seen the riders off, I hoped on a train out of town, did a 20k nocturnal off road adventure, and in the process, bagged enough tiles to expand my cluster by 44 to 541. Pushing it all the way into Flevopolder. I bagged a group of 3 tiles I hadn't been sure I'd be able to access, but aside from it being off road, were simple enough. A successful trip.

J
--

« Reply #646 on: 28 April, 2019, 03:44:54 pm »
Have been chipping away with lots of short rides and runs/walks , though the family are onto me now with the latter :P.  Today did first 100km ride of the year which was lovely in the deserted Ochils, adding 30 new tiles and 10 to the clustr.  I can go back to explore there but there are very limited roads there a lot of the intervening gaps will have to be acquired on MTB or foot.

Score is up by 185 to 2104 and cluster by 43 to 705 since the start of the year. Max square still a pathetic 11x11

Next plans are to fill in gaps to the E of Kirkcaldy and in the Pentlands as part of extended commutes.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #647 on: 28 April, 2019, 09:00:43 pm »
Rides over the last two weekends have taken the max cluster to 725. Max square still at 15.

vv_20190428 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #648 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:21:31 am »
This weekend I took part in Deano's "Festival of Cycling" in Newby Wiske, so I caught the train to York and meandered my way north on a fully loaded tourer. One long traipse through some woodland and a couple of excursions along "NO ENTRY" farm tracks has finally connected my cluster of tiles in Humberside with those in Teesside. This catapulted me up the yacf leaderboard from 28th to 17th - woooo hoooo! Passed the 1000 tile mark for the cluster. Of course, I then had a gander at Deano's current map and ate humble pie. Well, ate a little humble pie and then came here to brag.  ;)

IMG_20190426_115047974 by Graeme, on Flickr

Screenshot_20190428-163500_2 by Graeme, on Flickr

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #649 on: 10 May, 2019, 12:04:22 pm »

Had a bit of a ride around the Netherlands (and a couple of bits of Belgium).

Added 944 new tiles, bought my cluster up by 12, and made no change to my square...

Municipalities count went from 208 to 263.

J
--