Author Topic: Severn Across 400 - May 11  (Read 13123 times)

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
Re: Severn Across 400 - May 11
« Reply #50 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:02:32 pm »
Hi Folks,

Due to accommodation issues we are planning to cycle the 55km (most direct google maps walking route) too and from the event.  We heard about Extended Calendar Events (ECE) last weekend so am wondering if it's viable to make it up to 500km as an ECE and what we need to do?  If we complete the 400km calendar event on time, but are out of time on the ECE journey home part will it affect the points for the calendar event?

Cheers, A.

bit on here - http://aukweb.net/diy/ece/
 and here - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46498.msg919168#msg919168

I know that Martin has been having a little trouble with online entries (certainly when I did an ECE a couple of weeks ago anyway) - so worth Emailing him.

Failing on the ECE leg will not impact your calendar event no.  (unless you fail on the way there!).  It does mean you have to be quite confident about your riding speeds etc. - especially if you do a long 'to' leg (I rode a 180km leg to an event a couple of weeks ago - it would be easy to mess up and arrive either far too early (and then have wasted time forced on you as you can't move off until the event starts) or too late (in which case, the ride is over)). 

Definitely a fan of ECE now - enables you to rack up more miles, and still have a sociable ride with others in the middle, compared to (let's say) a solo DIY 500km.

I've done several ECEs the last three seasons and think they are great, esp if you don't want to drive to
or from an event and don't mind getting up early to get to the cal event. Advisable to be quite cautious
though. Easy to forget to plan properly for what you're actually doing. E.g. allow 4h to ride 80k to an event.
Getting up at 4am and getting to the cal start location 15 mins before start, there is no food at the start.
And the 15 mins are quickly passed getting the brevet card, going to the loo, refilling bottles, chatting etc.
You set off together with the pack at the usual high start speed in the same way as if you hadn't done
the extra leg. Then realizing the hard way, oops, hmm, I'm running low on energy, I should have planned
for that maybe, or at least slacked off from the std start of the ride rush...  ::-)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #51 on: 09 May, 2013, 01:09:43 pm »
ECE ing an event is good, i like it. It is particularly excellent for a calendar event on a Sunday because the trains are not running in the morning, so you can ride to the start, and then at the end of the event the trains will be running so you can get home. It does mean an early start, but then so do all long rides IMHO.
For instance, for a 100k event from Hailsham, I ride 70k (validated by GPS) via a roundabout route to the start, then do the ride, then ride 30k on a direct route to home.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #52 on: 09 May, 2013, 01:53:51 pm »
online ECE's are up and running fine again, there is not currently the option on the entry form to do it by card or gps so please indicate this in the Paypal payment screen  :)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #53 on: 09 May, 2013, 02:28:13 pm »
I rode this last year, and seeing several comments about gpx routes, here is mine, which I tested last year !!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=393077

;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #54 on: 09 May, 2013, 03:32:40 pm »
Oh, and I am going to be there again on Saturday !!!

;D O:-) ;D

Cycling heatmap

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #55 on: 09 May, 2013, 07:38:21 pm »
I rode this last year, and seeing several comments about gpx routes, here is mine, which I tested last year !!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=393077

;D

Many thanks, a few minor differences with the other GXP route, yours has my vote where it avoids the Byway (I guess some software has 'optimised' the other route)  ;D

We will be navigating by the route sheet so it will be useful to have multiple choice GPX routes on the GPS if the XTE Alarm goes off.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 09 May, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »
It looks like you will have a controller at the Blenheim tea rooms. (Unless it's still pi55ing it down like now - who rides their bike in the rain?!?) Look for the stickers, your controller should be nearby.

I'll try to wear my YACF Jersey, do say hello.

Anyone buying me a bacon sandwich can claim the money back from Liam at the finish.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #57 on: 09 May, 2013, 08:09:37 pm »
has anyone split the gpx into control to control sections yet

lazy and busy

and yat rock doesn't look very nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxyNh7S9x0

Phil W

« Reply #58 on: 09 May, 2013, 09:03:15 pm »

lazy and busy

and yat rock doesn't look very nice <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IbxyNh7S9x0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IbxyNh7S9x0&rel=1</a>

Yes I have, but now concerned about a byway, that 321 mentions.

« Reply #59 on: 09 May, 2013, 09:10:31 pm »

lazy and busy

and yat rock doesn't look very nice <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IbxyNh7S9x0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IbxyNh7S9x0&rel=1</a>

Yes I have, but now concerned about a byway, that 321 mentions.

one eeensy byway in 406km? you are a meticulous sort phil

anyway, enough about that, can you pm or linky me or email me the stage gpx files please

I will at some point learn how to do this myself, I promise

« Reply #60 on: 09 May, 2013, 09:51:42 pm »
It looks like you will have a controller at the Blenheim tea rooms. (Unless it's still pi55ing it down like now - who rides their bike in the rain?!?) Look for the stickers, your controller should be nearby.

I'll try to wear my YACF Jersey, do say hello.

Anyone buying me a bacon sandwich can claim the money back from Liam at the finish.

Don't listen to him - the doctor says he is not to be fed or given any form of encouragement.

Phil W

« Reply #61 on: 09 May, 2013, 09:53:01 pm »
Right the  special byway just before Malmesbury is edited out of the membury  services leg.  Tynan, will send you the links tomorrow for he broken down sections.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #62 on: 09 May, 2013, 09:56:09 pm »
I always do my gpx files directly from the route sheets - no software is required or able to do any optimisation, since every instruction is followed.

I just looked at the route sheets and I can't see any byways......

???

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #63 on: 09 May, 2013, 10:02:05 pm »
Thanks Phil, much appreciated

yes Mikey, I think I know what you mean and I have done that before but found it time consuming, I was using coursecreator but found that sometimes it wouldn;t complete the end of a track so I lost the whole bloody lot

when yo say 'no software', what do you use

400km of hand plotted track is a fair amount of labour surely?

Phil W

« Reply #64 on: 09 May, 2013, 10:09:34 pm »
I always do my gpx files directly from the route sheets - no software is required or able to do any optimisation, since every instruction is followed.

I just looked at the route sheets and I can't see any byways......

???

There aren't Mike.  I also did the gpx from the routes sheet, but I don't click at every route sheet instruction. I tend to trace rhe map, and rhen click after not too long a gap. much faster than clicking every point by hand. For some reason it took me off the nice yellow road, along a byway back to the b4040 just before Malmesbury. 

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #65 on: 09 May, 2013, 10:13:40 pm »
Thanks Phil, much appreciated

yes Mikey, I think I know what you mean and I have done that before but found it time consuming, I was using coursecreator but found that sometimes it wouldn;t complete the end of a track so I lost the whole bloody lot

when yo say 'no software', what do you use

400km of hand plotted track is a fair amount of labour surely?

I use bikeroutetoaster, and over the last couple of years I guess I have got quite proficient at it, but working out on a map what the route sheet is saying can be a complete arse at times - the problems are the 'turn left by the yellow elephant in the swing park' sort of instructions - all you can do is use google street view to actually 'move' along the roads in question, and 99 times out of a 100 you see the yellow elephant and all is well.  It is also hard to 'follow the signs to Bloggsworthy', especially if you don't actually go through the place.  It can indeed take several hours for the, errr, more traditional ones, but then again, as I will have seen many of the junctions in street view, I keep being reassured as I ride that I am in the right place - I suppose you could say I am getting my money's worth at home !!

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #66 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »
yes, the few I did (where there was no gpx) took me hours but I did feel much more au faite with the route, junctions as you say all seemed familiar

but life is short and as said I found routetoaster or whichever site I was using buggy and very annoying

« Reply #67 on: 10 May, 2013, 04:51:42 pm »

and yat rock doesn't look very nice
The climb up to the Somerset monument is just as steep - and even narrower  :o , and then there's the haul out of Streatley - with many more km in the legs, will prob feel worse.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #68 on: 10 May, 2013, 06:03:14 pm »
Yat Rock is pretty steep, but comes at a nice time of the day when you're still fresh, and as I recall it's a really beautiful/intersting bit of road.

So if I was hill-dodging, I'd stick to that bit, but possibly take to the A4 at night. But the night section wasn't very tough, and is really quite pleasant especially when you drop into Henley on deserted roads after dawn, coffee and pastries awaiting you indoors :)

In fact I'd only use the A4 if I was really worried about getting round in time.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #69 on: 10 May, 2013, 06:38:22 pm »
^^^^^^^^^  ;D

The brain has no memory of pain.

The middle section of Yat Rock is brutal, a tad less forgiving than the Devil's Staircase
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #70 on: 10 May, 2013, 06:42:44 pm »
Great news - the roadworks in Chalfont have finished - so less faffing needed to get to carpark

Possible dodgy news - you'll probably have to pay for your parking so bring change!  (I won't have any)

Apparently there is a big event on the evening at the centre (well over by the time you get back) so avoiding the centre car park would be much appreciated as space will be in short supply without us hogging spaces.

L

« Reply #71 on: 10 May, 2013, 07:38:23 pm »
middle section?

I've read some of it is 1 in 5, oh well, it is what it is

I am getting much better at hills after a few (to me) hilly rides but it's very noticeable how my legs really don't want to know any more after a certain amount of gong uphill

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #72 on: 10 May, 2013, 08:01:03 pm »
I rode up from Bristol today, enjoying an hour or so at Cafe Nero in Witney .....

My usual route goes in a straight line to Buckingham, then a 90 degree right all the way down to Uxbridge. Tailwind to Buck, and headwind thereafter!!.

I can confirm that all the Chalfonts are roadworks free, but if I ever find the driver of the f*ck*ng faded salmon coloured bastard battleship sized mobile crane that passed me with six inches clearance at 50 mph, I'll string him up by his own crane!!!!

Apols - rant over - see you all tomorrow :)

Cycling heatmap

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #73 on: 10 May, 2013, 08:16:26 pm »
Listening to the rain hammering on the roof and thinking of our 02:30 am ECE start :facepalm:

If anyone sees us colapsed on the verge in the afternoon we will probably be sleeping  ;D

« Reply #74 on: 10 May, 2013, 08:54:41 pm »
middle section?

I've read some of it is 1 in 5, oh well, it is what it is

I am getting much better at hills after a few (to me) hilly rides but it's very noticeable how my legs really don't want to know any more after a certain amount of gong uphill
B*****! I'm waiting for my 11-25 cassette to wear out so that I can put a 12-27 on. I can see myself walking up, and I've just switched to my racing shoes/ pedals after too much footache!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!