Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 167835 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Didcot
« Reply #150 on: 20 July, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »
Train tickets to Oxford (from London) are half the price of those to Didcot. Draw your own conclusion ...

I've just checked on the trainline - they're both the same at £21.40 for an off peak single, or £26.00 for an anytime single.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #151 on: 20 July, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »
Not always ...

(but if you can explain why the 14 miles to Oxford is free, you can have a prize anyway!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #152 on: 20 July, 2011, 04:24:33 pm »
Aha - trying for tickets for this weekend, shows a new option of an advance single to Oxford (but not Didcot) for just £4, for a particular train.

Clearly Didcot isn't worth the hassle of trying to invite visitors with the lure of a cheap ticket.   :)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #153 on: 20 July, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »
It is similar to the pricing on the Cheltenham line, where getting out of Swindon is nearly free.

Can you see a pattern here? ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #154 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:48:26 pm »
Just stopped @ Didcot on the return train back to Bristol. Gosh, was real glad when the train got moving again. What is it about Didcot that makes it a singularly unappealing place?

Frere

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #155 on: 20 July, 2011, 09:52:40 pm »
Lots of concrete, power station, whipping wind that goes straight through the station, and one of the highest charity shop densities in the UK - I lived there for a year :).

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #156 on: 20 July, 2011, 10:05:22 pm »
I went for brekkie in the Sainsbury's there this morning.  As I arrived, lotzanlotza alarms were going off, all the Sainsbury's staff were clustered under an "Assembly Point" sign, and all the other nearby shops were being evacuated too.

So I carried on biking onto a different high street, and found a lovely little cafe, "Carera's"  (as far as I can remember - but I do recall the upside-down apostrophe) which served me a very tasty breakfast: black pudding, fried tomato, hash brown, two bacon, egg, beans, sossidge and toast.  And a lovely cup of coffee.

I will be patronising them again, and shall not bother darkening Sainsbury's door again.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #157 on: 20 July, 2011, 10:13:21 pm »
Didcot is now deemed so dangerous to cycle round that the Didcot Phoenix cycle club has had to move it's training nights to nearby Abingdon Barracks ... for protection I can only assume.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #158 on: 20 July, 2011, 10:34:25 pm »
11 glorious pages!

Let it never be said that Didcot is dull.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #159 on: 20 July, 2011, 11:29:14 pm »
Train tickets to Oxford (from London) are half the price of those to Didcot. Draw your own conclusion ...
I've not checked lately, but if travelling from Reading to Bristol or Swansea, it used to be significantly cheaper to buy a ticket from Paddington - which they wouldn't sell in Reading. Then they put in barriers at Reading, & you had to find some cheap dodge to get on the platform. Luckily the ticket allowed you to break your journey on the way back, so you had a valid excuse for getting off at Reading.

Indeed, those who decide rail ticket prices in this country have minds which are choodessny and zammechat, but in a bezoomy, grazhny & merzky way, not at all horrorshow.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #160 on: 21 July, 2011, 09:39:33 am »
Just stopped @ Didcot on the return train back to Bristol. Gosh, was real glad when the train got moving again. What is it about Didcot that makes it a singularly unappealing place?

Frere
Gotta be the people that live there.

A bit like the cunts in Bristol.

Do come again :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #161 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:20:35 am »
I've not checked lately, but if travelling from Reading to Bristol or Swansea, it used to be significantly cheaper to buy a ticket from Paddington - which they wouldn't sell in Reading. Then they put in barriers at Reading, & you had to find some cheap dodge to get on the platform. Luckily the ticket allowed you to break your journey on the way back, so you had a valid excuse for getting off at Reading.

Indeed, those who decide rail ticket prices in this country have minds which are choodessny and zammechat, but in a bezoomy, grazhny & merzky way, not at all horrorshow.
;D oh chin!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #162 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:06:53 pm »
I lived  in Didcot for a while, sharing a house with Francis Bacon's second-favourite rent-boy's boyfriend's brother.
We once visited a pub called The Sprat. It compared badly with The Slaughtered Lamb.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #163 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:43:14 pm »
I lived  in Didcot for a while, sharing a house with Francis Bacon's second-favourite rent-boy's boyfriend's brother.
It's not actually posted in the Tenuous Claims To Fame thread, but I think we have a winner.
Not especially helpful or mature

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #164 on: 16 August, 2011, 07:15:21 am »
I went through Didcot by train on the way to Bristol for Exodus on Saturday. Lovely to see the cooling towers of the Daily Mail going at full blast. Just as a treat on the way back from Exmouth, my train got diverted so instead of going through Newbury, it went through Swindon and Didcot again, so double the fun!

deliquium

« Reply #165 on: 16 August, 2011, 09:12:31 am »

« Reply #166 on: 16 August, 2011, 09:40:22 am »
It looks like the Sprat hasn't  changed much... I'm going to start a Pub Hall of Shame  thread.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #167 on: 01 October, 2011, 08:54:07 am »
It is sunny in Didcot and there are train spotters here.

rogerzilla

« Reply #168 on: 01 October, 2011, 10:40:02 am »
My train went through Didcot at about 100mph.  Which was nice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #169 on: 01 October, 2011, 11:54:10 am »

Oooh! You may have been on the same train as my David, who was en route to Cheltenham. (09.00 x PAD, Arr Swindon 09.54)

rogerzilla

« Reply #170 on: 01 October, 2011, 08:15:32 pm »

Oooh! You may have been on the same train as my David, who was en route to Cheltenham. (09.00 x PAD, Arr Swindon 09.54)
Nope, this was a Welsh train leaving at 0745, sorry!

rogerzilla

« Reply #171 on: 01 October, 2011, 08:16:23 pm »
There may be 4,000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire, but but Didcot's are more dangerous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-15136278

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #172 on: 01 October, 2011, 10:31:37 pm »

Nope, this was a Welsh train leaving at 0745, sorry!

I'd worked out you must have been on an earlier train when I saw the timestamp of your post-FNRTTS post...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #173 on: 01 October, 2011, 11:11:05 pm »
This is a very edumacational thread.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #174 on: 10 October, 2011, 10:01:59 am »
Today it is dull in Didcot.