Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 166680 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Didcot
« Reply #400 on: 25 November, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »
Needs more cooling towers, really.

« Reply #401 on: 25 November, 2012, 02:21:15 pm »
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #402 on: 25 November, 2012, 02:31:00 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #403 on: 30 November, 2012, 09:54:17 am »
Didcot is gloriously sunny and crisp.

A perfect day for a funeral.
It is simpler than it looks.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #404 on: 30 November, 2012, 10:00:02 am »
They've decided to bury Didcot?!?  :o
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #405 on: 04 December, 2012, 07:42:16 pm »
They've decided to bury Didcot?!?  :o
Well they've been trying to cremate it for years ....

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #406 on: 12 December, 2012, 10:00:43 am »
Just gone through Didcot on a non stopping train.  Muhahaha.  Cooling towers steaming well.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #407 on: 12 December, 2012, 10:02:35 am »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #408 on: 28 December, 2012, 09:48:33 pm »
You think that shows class?  This shows class.
Not especially helpful or mature

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #409 on: 10 January, 2013, 06:44:47 am »
I was reminiscing with myself last night during my Wednesday evening wank with Clive - how many towns can boast a one armed coalman? Les Bailey not only lived in the coal yard (Manor Crescent), he loaded the bags and wagon, and delivered his load one handed into your coal hole. Not only that, he drove the lorry - no syncromesh "crash" gearbox and pre poncey power steering.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #410 on: 10 January, 2013, 07:52:28 am »
I was reminiscing with myself last night during my Wednesday evening wank with Clive - how many towns can boast a one armed coalman? Les Bailey not only lived in the coal yard (Manor Crescent), he loaded the bags and wagon, and delivered his load one handed into your coal hole. Not only that, he drove the lorry - no syncromesh "crash" gearbox and pre poncey power steering.

I think you may want to proofread your post!!!

« Reply #411 on: 10 January, 2013, 08:15:01 am »
You think that shows class?  This shows class.

:facepalm:  Looks like some kind of ulcer.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #412 on: 10 January, 2013, 08:24:35 am »
How interesting.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #413 on: 10 January, 2013, 08:47:53 am »
I have discovered a use for Didcot.

Monthly return from Southend Victoria to Bath Spa: £61.50. No Network railcard discount allowed.

Monthly return from Southend Victoria to Didcot Parkway with Network Railcard discount: £28.80

Didcot to Bath Spa, advance single: £4.

Saving: £24.70.

The above is Plan B. Plan A is to purchase single tickets from Southend Victoria to Bath Spa for £12.50 but they haven't been issued yet for the date I want to travel.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #414 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:05:31 am »

I guess there's not a lot else to do on Wedbesday evenings in Didcot.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #415 on: 10 January, 2013, 11:39:15 am »

Monthly return from Southend Victoria to Bath Spa: £61.50. No Network railcard discount allowed.

Monthly return from Southend Victoria to Didcot Parkway with Network Railcard discount: £28.80

Watch the reaction of the ticket inspector. Absolutely none. It's become more or less standard procedure.

So why, might you reasonably ask, do the train companies persist in their ridiculous pricing structures? I'm not sure anyone knows.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #416 on: 10 January, 2013, 02:11:24 pm »
I think I know: it's so that the reasonable person can be entrapped into paying more for their ticket than they should.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #417 on: 10 January, 2013, 02:27:48 pm »
Be sure, be very sure, that the train stops at Didcot.  Not all Bath trains do.  Split tickets are only valid if the train stops at the splitting station.  If you are on a Paddington to Bath train that does not stop there, you will be charged for a Anytime Single from Paddington to Bath.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #418 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:55:48 pm »
...during my Wednesday evening wank

Just a run of the mill Wednesday nine o'clock wank?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #419 on: 10 January, 2013, 11:06:58 pm »
Just a run of the mill Wednesday nine o'clock wank?

Yeah, whilst Audrey was out

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #420 on: 13 January, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »
How many towns can have boasted a dairy known locally as Number Twos and whose humming milk floats smelled of burnt rubber?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #421 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:22:18 pm »
I think I know: it's so that the reasonable person can be entrapped into paying more for their ticket than they should.

That would be the cynical view. The actual reason is that certain regions have controlled ticket pricing. Around London being one, and the central belt in Scotland being another. Tickets to destinations outside the controlled area are calculated on the basis of miles run for the complete distance, and there are limits for day and period returns etc. This is why there are journey break issues. It is worthwhile looking up the legislation for where the boundaries for the regulated ticket zones are.

This leads to the anomalies as referred to previously. To travel from Dundee to Glasgow, always get tickets to Perth and Perth to Glasgow as it is cheaper.

When travelling for an overnight visit to Stonehaven from Dundee, get tickets from Leuchars as then you can get a return, wheras from Dundee you can only get two cheap day returns, not a period return.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #422 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:35:47 pm »
<head spins>.

You'd need to get up very early in the morning having sharpened your pencils the night before to figure this out.

Last year, a few of us in ABZ were looking at options to travel to Chepstow for a cycling-related event, and the fares offered by the usual websites looked like we were bidding for the franchises, not a seat on the train.

Is there an opportunity here for a website with knowledge of all this nonsense to be able to do some kind if 'traveling salesman' best-price calculation, or is this NP-Hard?

Even if the calculations were to be NP-Hard, there's a finite number of rail stations in the UK.
Perhaps an effing great rainbow-table could be buit.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #423 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:52:17 am »

The above is Plan B. Plan A is to purchase single tickets from Southend Victoria to Bath Spa for £12.50 but they haven't been issued yet for the date I want to travel.

This known to Bristolians as the "Didcot dodge". There is also a "Cheltenham spa dodge" and a "Birmingham dodge". I used to be working for a company in Bath who saved tens of thousands by instructing us to do the didcot dodge. Unfortunately, FGW have probably noticed us and now just on train in two stops in Didcot.
Chief cat entertainer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #424 on: 16 January, 2013, 01:51:16 pm »
The (so-called) "Didcot" power station is creating serious amounts of snow today.

But none of it is over Didcot  :smug:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles