Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 167634 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Didcot
« Reply #425 on: 16 January, 2013, 07:53:03 pm »
Are you sure it's not toxic fly ash?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #426 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:13:26 pm »
Are you sure it's not toxic fly ash?

No! Ever since the republican Tories moved the county boundaries and Didcot went from Berkshire to South Oxford for more votes - the power station was built as a front to disperse airborne mind altering particles to make sure the working classes voted Conservative and bought their piss poorly built concrete panelled, rusting steel invisible strenghtened, asbestos infested council houses before they fell down. I think they called it empowerment or some such?  ;)

« Reply #427 on: 17 January, 2013, 12:58:18 pm »
I remember when my sister was looking for a house somewhere between Banbury & Aylesbury, she was sent details of one which met all her criteria for size & facilities, but was remarkably cheap.

Concrete slab built ex-council house, like many in villages in that area. Couldn't get a mortgage without first spending an unknown but probably large sum to patch it & prop it up. Would have made a good buy for someone who wanted a plot to clear & build a new house on, except that it was semi-detached & the other half was inhabited.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #428 on: 22 January, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »
Carmageddon in this area, and around Abingdon/Wantage etc.  A34 closed Northbound due to 5 vehicle crash & beer can spill.  I drove in today - and am sitting it out at work waiting for A34 to open and roads to clear.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #429 on: 22 January, 2013, 06:50:55 pm »
Carmageddon in this area, and around Abingdon/Wantage etc.  A34 closed Northbound due to 5 vehicle crash & beer can spill.  I drove in today - and am sitting it out at work waiting for A34 to open and roads to clear.

Despite Radio Oxford's traffic report Wantage is quiet quiet at the moment (1845)

« Reply #430 on: 22 January, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »
Sounded as though the accident was at the end of the Milton/Didcot N'thbd A34 slip road.   I wonder why Highways don't modify the closed off slip road between Drayton and Stevevnton so it could be used when needed.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #431 on: 27 January, 2013, 04:33:14 pm »
Sounded as though the accident was at the end of the Milton/Didcot N'thbd A34 slip road.   I wonder why Highways don't modify the closed off slip road between Drayton and Stevevnton so it could be used when needed.

My uncle Colin caused an accident and a kerfuffle at the end of that very sliproad. His 1 year old "flagship" Honda Legend lost all electrics and therefore will to live, or move an inch further. Cars behind kept jumping up each other's arses. It was hilarious. Even the cops nearly crashed when they tried to reverse on the roundabout to get to him! He was on his way back to Didcot and my mam's wake in the Bowls Club, after a sesh at the Crem in Headington. He's dead now too  :'(

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #432 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:03:05 pm »
"ARCHAEOLOGISTS have proved for the first time that people started dogging in the Didcot area as early as 9,000 years ago"

http://alturl.com/p7upr

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #433 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:08:06 pm »
Didcot was shut this evening.
It is simpler than it looks.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #434 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »
Didcot was shut this evening.

U have the same problem with i being next to u on the keyboard?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #435 on: 28 January, 2013, 08:26:11 am »
Riding home last night we had a stunning full moon lighting the drying roads.
I don't think I've see a full moon over the power station like that before, it was like a homing beacon for the last 15-20 miles. The water vapour looked rather splendid in the moonlight.

One of my better cycling moments, especially after 120 miles.

[Can't comment on what was shut, sorry.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #436 on: 29 January, 2013, 04:23:44 pm »
Today, I am celebrating my (brief) return in the UK by going twice through Didcot.

At my resquet the 16.12 to weston super mare has been delayed by 15 minutes so that I can fully appreciate today greyness of didcot.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #437 on: 29 January, 2013, 04:28:32 pm »
A colleague of mine has just bought a house in the older part of Didcot. He swears that he cannot see the towers from his house.
Is that possible?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #438 on: 29 January, 2013, 05:11:19 pm »
Short answer: yes

Actually the 'post-towers' houses are all built rather cunningly to minimise the  view, but the 'old' bit won't have this 'feature'.

But think about it madcow - how many houses give a 360' field of vision? :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #439 on: 29 January, 2013, 08:55:59 pm »

But think about it madcow - how many houses give a 360' field of vision? :)
There are quite a lot near the seaside .....

« Reply #440 on: 29 January, 2013, 08:59:56 pm »
Riding home last night we had a stunning full moon lighting the drying roads.
I don't think I've see a full moon over the power station like that before, it was like a homing beacon for the last 15-20 miles. The water vapour looked rather splendid in the moonlight.

One of my better cycling moments, especially after 120 miles.

[Can't comment on what was shut, sorry.]

And to be fair when I was blatting down the A34 at Sparrow fart there was a magnificent sunrise over the cooling towers too.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #441 on: 30 January, 2013, 12:34:04 pm »
A small raptor is circling, menacingly, over Didcot.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #442 on: 30 January, 2013, 12:53:48 pm »
A raptor, you say?  I would have thought dealing with Didcot called for something with a bit more oomph.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #443 on: 30 January, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »
"We'll be all right as long as they can't open doors."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #444 on: 30 January, 2013, 01:14:10 pm »
When I got back to my car there last night I had a flat tyre :(

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #445 on: 30 January, 2013, 01:17:35 pm »
When I got back to my car there last night I had a flat tyre :(

Count your blessings.  If your car had been left in Liverpool it probably wouldn't have had any wheels.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #446 on: 30 January, 2013, 06:41:30 pm »
A small raptor is circling, menacingly, over Didcot.
Are you sure it wasn't just far away?  It was probably a Fell Beast that escaped from Mordor.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #447 on: 31 January, 2013, 08:14:17 am »
Didcot. Festering sore in the oyster of Oxfordshire.

It's busy this morning with hundreds desperate to escape. To Slough, or Reading at the very least.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #448 on: 01 February, 2013, 07:56:49 am »
Didcot.

It's still here.

although surrounded by an intimidating mist, as if Oxfordshire is preparing for excision.

« Reply #449 on: 01 February, 2013, 09:58:10 am »
It was dark and mildly moist as I pushed-on alone into the bustery headwind, past cooling towers and Daily Mail building.
Chavs yelled abuse from cars and street corners.
The normality that is Didcot