Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 167322 times)

Re: Didcot
« Reply #525 on: 04 April, 2013, 11:54:12 am »

Actually neither does Oxford... guess JLP thought Abingdon would suffice around here.     :)

http://www.kevinlaurence.net/googlemaps/waitrose.html

We slum it with everyone else in the Abingdon Tesco. :)
[SHUDDER]
Sainsbury at Heyford Hill is a far nicer experience ....

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #526 on: 04 April, 2013, 12:02:47 pm »
Swindon has no Waitrose, but you probably guessed that.

Actually neither does Oxford... guess JLP thought Abingdon would suffice around here.     :)

http://www.kevinlaurence.net/googlemaps/waitrose.html
That map is quite funny - Didcot is a waitrose-free zone at the centre of a cross of local stores!

(Why would anyone build such a website? Oh well, if it keeps kevinlaurence happy ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #527 on: 04 April, 2013, 12:10:43 pm »
Wallingford.
It is simpler than it looks.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #528 on: 04 April, 2013, 02:18:36 pm »
We have one in Wantage :smug:

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #529 on: 04 April, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »
Can't see a Wantage thread taking off somehow, nor a Wallingford. Didcot deserves!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #530 on: 04 April, 2013, 09:00:48 pm »
Quite.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #531 on: 08 April, 2013, 09:04:53 am »
Can't see a Wantage thread taking off somehow, nor a Wallingford. Didcot deserves!
Harwell must feel like someone who's woken up in bed with an obese and rather minging stranger and can't think how to get rid of them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #532 on: 08 April, 2013, 07:31:37 pm »
Harwell must feel like someone who's woken up in bed with an obese and rather minging stranger and can't think how to get rid of them.

Harwell's altered demographic, over the years was/is probably glad to have the A34 cut between it and Didcot - not to mention the closing of some of the worst pubs know to little men who were banned from every other place within the Lambourn/Aston Tirrold/Lockinge triangle.

I once stepped out with two of three sisters who lived in the furthest west (north side) bungalow in Didcot. Still is

EDIT: Harwell had a ridiculous number of pubs! One of which, on the "main" street, closed, threw out the red swirly sticky carpets and became an old people's home - with different sticky carpets.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #533 on: 08 April, 2013, 07:37:51 pm »
It was pointed out to me that the A34 does no such thing - it actually cuts thru the East of Harwell. I suppose he was technically right ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #534 on: 08 April, 2013, 07:45:11 pm »
It was pointed out to me that the A34 does no such thing - it actually cuts thru the East of Harwell. I suppose he was technically right ...

Yeahbutt - Rowstock Corner (pre A34 as we know it now) was the first roundabout I ever encountered as a lad. Lots of dull blue and grey buses shipping Didcotonians to HARWELL THE LABORATORY mingling with the ESSO gang going north! Chemicals scare I.

« Reply #535 on: 08 April, 2013, 09:31:07 pm »
Ghastly, isn't it?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #536 on: 10 April, 2013, 07:06:56 pm »
Ghastly, isn't it?

Harwell is grim yes - the slope on their cricket and footie fields caused many of us to fall off >:(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #537 on: 23 April, 2013, 08:40:12 pm »
Passing through Didcot on Sunday, I remarked to the random bloke in the seat next to me how different Teh Cooling Towers looked without steam. "I heard it was closing down," he replied, "but I come through here several times a week for work and I hadn't noticed."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #538 on: 23 April, 2013, 08:47:36 pm »
I was meant to be passing through Didcot today, but my bowels exploded.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #539 on: 27 April, 2013, 10:16:52 pm »
I was meant to be passing through Didcot today, but my bowels exploded.

It's a known symptom of Didcotitis.

Coming back from this morning's Brighton jaunt, I grabbed my phone and thought that those in this thread from far-flung Forrn Parts might enjoy this while it's still there:

http://youtu.be/oz7AJoNGE68

rogerzilla

« Reply #540 on: 28 April, 2013, 07:48:19 am »
They're supposed to be re-opening the old Wantage Road station at Grove, which might mean no-one ever has to go to Didcot again.

rogerzilla

« Reply #541 on: 02 May, 2013, 09:16:45 pm »
Hot topics on the Didcot forum this week include the rude staff in the BP garage, people driving at 20mph (bastards!) and someone running down The Broadway (presumably to escape Didcot).

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #542 on: 17 May, 2013, 10:47:39 am »
Not a lot to report today. A sad power station and a few weak rays of sunshine.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #543 on: 21 May, 2013, 09:34:35 am »
Spotted a sign on the fencing around the building works at Didcot Parkway:

Didcot. Getting bigger. Getting better.

Well one out of two ain't bad.

rogerzilla

« Reply #544 on: 28 May, 2013, 10:38:05 am »
It appears that Cow Lane bridge wasn't flooded for once, prompting this moan about cyclists on Didcot Forum.  Apparently it was a man with a beard, round glasses and a very determined expression.

http://www.didcot.com/forum/?read=34527

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #545 on: 30 May, 2013, 04:51:18 pm »
My wife has spent this afternoon in Didcot and yesterday in Bicester chauffeuring my son on half term activities. Here verdict?

"2½ hours in Didcot is better than 2 in Bicester"

So it's not all bad....

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #546 on: 31 May, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »
It appears that Cow Lane bridge wasn't flooded for once,
Not quite flooded, but it was pretty wet on Sunday morning. (the day I chose for my first ride sans guards  :facepalm: )

"High Drama
"
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #547 on: 01 June, 2013, 01:15:59 am »
"the height of a lamppost". Yup, I think she is right.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #548 on: 04 June, 2013, 05:32:13 pm »
It appears that Cow Lane bridge wasn't flooded for once

Once upon a flood, I stalled a standard powder bluey green (light grey roof?) Farina Austin A40* (the original split hatch, both ways) with modified matte black bonnet (which I thought was artistic as I painted it myself with my dad's distemper brush and blackboard paint - the texture was so pre awesome (for Didcot) and rather flaky - might also go some way to explaining why I wasn't cut out for a Graphic Design degree course and thrown out of Maidenhead Art College a year later, I digress?), subsequently wet the carpets and flooded the footwells, under Cow Lane bridge thus creating an embarrassing blockage. Fortunately the pig farmer in his Fordson or whatever tractors were called, who lived and farmed the solely agri smelly land north of the bridge (long pre the concrete brick effect Legoland housing "development"), mechanically "pushed" my motor back to the saftey of the Didcot side so he could carry on to the Station Hotel for his lunchtime pint.

*in those days every car had "personalised" number plates - it was PPA 119 - probably quite a sad example for which some dumb modernist person from anytown might now pay money for and treasure??

Have I told the story of the policeman on his bicycle chasing said car driven by moi with broken exhaust (ran over a brick that fell from Marsh Bridge whilst driving through/underneath (un/dis/non flooded) on way to very temporary (thankfully) job with Rupert Murdoch on Headington Hill in Oxford - but decided to return home cos the noise was VERY VERY loud - sweaty red faced navy serge silver button uniformed helmeted fat fuzz fuck with a worn out whistle tried to catch me all the way back to the end of Glebe Road, where I got nabbed and my mam lost it with him and no charges were brought?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #549 on: 04 June, 2013, 06:42:33 pm »
It appears that Cow Lane bridge wasn't flooded for once

Once upon a flood, I stalled a standard powder bluey green (light grey roof?) Farina Austin A40* (the original split hatch, both ways) with modified matte black bonnet (which I thought was artistic as I painted it myself with my dad's distemper brush and blackboard paint - the texture was so pre awesome (for Didcot) and rather flaky - might also go some way to explaining why I wasn't cut out for a Graphic Design degree course and thrown out of Maidenhead Art College a year later, I digress?), subsequently wet the carpets and flooded the footwells, under Cow Lane bridge thus creating an embarrassing blockage. Fortunately the pig farmer in his Fordson or whatever tractors were called, who lived and farmed the solely agri smelly land north of the bridge (long pre the concrete brick effect Legoland housing "development"), mechanically "pushed" my motor back to the saftey of the Didcot side so he could carry on to the Station Hotel for his lunchtime pint.

*in those days every car had "personalised" number plates - it was PPA 119 - probably quite a sad example for which some dumb modernist person from anytown might now pay money for and treasure??

Have I told the story of the policeman on his bicycle chasing said car driven by moi with broken exhaust (ran over a brick that fell from Marsh Bridge whilst driving through/underneath (un/dis/non flooded) on way to very temporary (thankfully) job with Rupert Murdoch on Headington Hill in Oxford - but decided to return home cos the noise was VERY VERY loud - sweaty red faced navy serge silver button uniformed helmeted fat fuzz fuck with a worn out whistle tried to catch me all the way back to the end of Glebe Road, where I got nabbed and my mam lost it with him and no charges were brought?

Utterly OT, but I once drove my parents' Mini through a ford two feet deeper than the marker posts suggested.  Well, halfway through a ford.

"Oh yes", said a passing cockwomble in a Range Rover, "those posts have been wrong for years!"  He then buggered off, leaving Buttercup1 and me stranded in three feet of water, much of it choosing to pour in under the doors and through of the heater.

I winched her out on the starter and a helpful passing dog-walker advised me on drying out the distributor.  I limped home and then had about four hours to dry out the interior before picking up the folks from Airwick Gatport.

"Funny smell in here" says Ma.

"Huge puddle" quoth I, "and old Minis can be a bit leaky."

I think I got away with it ;D

1 - she was very yellow
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime