Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 168790 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Didcot
« Reply #775 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:04:05 pm »
I'm going there at the weekend.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #776 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:30:52 pm »
My dad is still trapped there - since 1954 first brand new 'council' semi - in the 'end house' of Lynmouth Road. If only the church over the road was of any solace. The asbestos drainpipes still remain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #777 on: 15 July, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #778 on: 15 July, 2016, 05:06:37 pm »
I assume it was Didcot that could be seen in the background as TV's Professor B Cox ponced around Wytham Woods in his most recent televisual extravaganza.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #779 on: 15 July, 2016, 05:56:44 pm »
I assume it was Didcot that could be seen in the background as TV's Professor B Cox ponced around Wytham Woods in his most recent televisual extravaganza.

I'll see your professorial poncing about on the tele and counter with historical locals tripping on Wittenham Clumps at dawn, which went bad cos Didcot Power station was being constructed and ruined everything :'(

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #780 on: 15 July, 2016, 06:59:32 pm »
Didcot also on the Trainspotting prog. (so twice in one night?? Not sure ... ) I havent actually wattched either yet!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #781 on: 17 July, 2016, 04:07:54 pm »

« Reply #782 on: 18 July, 2016, 01:00:26 am »
Yeah. Mrs B & I looked from the top of Garsons Hill this morning, & saw the new Didcot skyline.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #783 on: 18 July, 2016, 12:11:29 pm »
I just happened to wander into the garden 30 seconds before the detonation. Very very loud bang (preceded by 1 much quieter one). Especially at 6am on a Sunday, before the world had roused. There was a thin dust cloud visible a few minutes later; it didn't hang around much.

PAC said he heard it in Tilehurst (which is virtually Reading, nearly 20 miles away).

I went to have a nose later from the cyclepath alongside. There is now too much vegetation to see the rubble. It was quite sobering thinking about the construction workers.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #784 on: 20 July, 2016, 01:51:58 pm »
Drove through Didcot at lunch.  The Didcot Labour Club building is boarded up and in a bad way ...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #785 on: 20 July, 2016, 05:09:27 pm »
Drove through Didcot at lunch.  The Didcot Labour Club building is boarded up and in a bad way ...

My mam and dad used to attend regular 'dos' there when I was a kid. I was happily at home being babysat, 1950s style, with a jigsaw or even building houses with Bayko. I loved watching mam and dad dress up to go out - there was always a subdued excitement. Could feel it as early as Saturday lunchtime. By the time the 'Pools' results were on and checked with a blunt soft pencil, and mam was about to remove her curlers - it was frissonville :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #786 on: 21 July, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-36854800

Llamas. Roaming cross my commute route.

Aparently they like their reflections, so tend to peer into windows a lot.

This pleases me greatly - sod time-trialling, I'm off on a Llama Hunt.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #787 on: 02 August, 2016, 03:58:50 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #788 on: 12 August, 2016, 03:50:16 pm »
I never realised that Didcot was a hotbed of sporting duplicity: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-37057920

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #789 on: 12 August, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »
I never realised that Didcot was a hotbed of sporting duplicity: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-37057920

Drat - I really should have posted that when it first hit the news. Luckily we have Kim on Didcot-Watch  :thumbsup:

For some reason, this map really tickles me (and seems very un-BBC):
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #790 on: 29 August, 2016, 08:14:58 am »
PowerStation Watch - Aug 29th:
Right now it sounds like they are hitting something big with something smaller but denser, in the hope that it falls over. Very very loud.

That's all fine - its 8am, they have a job to do ... but at 2am? On a bank holiday? I feel my Inner Nimby rising  >:(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #792 on: 10 September, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »
It's dark. It's grey. It's wet. It's Didcot.
It is simpler than it looks.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #793 on: 11 September, 2016, 12:33:19 am »
What have they done with the A34 roundabout? I've ended up going the wrong way twice in the last two attempts to go round it. Serves me right for trying to reach McDonald's at midnight I suppose.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #794 on: 11 September, 2016, 06:57:23 am »
Spent millions on reshaping it into a hamburger - Oxfordshire council seem to like them. Once the work was completed traffic flows nearly as well as it used to before the "improvements".

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #795 on: 11 September, 2016, 09:01:12 am »
It's an extension of the JET, attempting fusion through traffic calming.

« Reply #796 on: 11 September, 2016, 10:01:45 am »
Spent millions on reshaping it into a hamburger - Oxfordshire council seem to like them. Once the work was completed traffic flows nearly as well as it used to before the "improvements".

Complete waste of ~£11 million IMO...  :facepalm:  and over a year of A34 delays, to enable some vehicles turning right from Didcot onto the A34 Nth to save a few seconds.  There doesn't appear to be any improvement to general flow of traffic.  The relatively new business park near the junction, which harbours a Harvester/VAG garage etc has it's own set of lights which seem to help cause tail backs to Didcot at peak times.  When in the car, I avoid the roundabout at peak times because of the congestion & lane layout - people changing lanes at the last second without indicating etc.  I doubt whether the junction will cope with all the extra housing developments planned between Great Western Park estate and the A34.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

« Reply #797 on: 16 September, 2016, 08:48:43 am »
The station appears to be flooded.

10 miles away we hardly had a drop

ian

« Reply #798 on: 16 September, 2016, 09:10:27 am »
Divine punishment for the non-permeable slab purgatory they installed outside the door.

PaulF

« Reply #799 on: 16 September, 2016, 10:20:36 am »
Well the floor did need a good clean