Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 167234 times)

red marley

Re: Didcot
« Reply #50 on: 20 June, 2010, 05:42:32 pm »
My dad did the surveying for the cooling towers when they were building the power station in the 1960s.

« Reply #51 on: 21 June, 2010, 11:04:01 am »
My dad did the surveying for the cooling towers when they were building the power station in the 1960s.

Was he burned at the stake for witchcraft?

robbo6

« Reply #52 on: 21 June, 2010, 11:06:24 am »
I found some very nice morels in Didcot.

« Reply #53 on: 21 June, 2010, 11:08:33 am »
I found some very nice morels in Didcot.

Nobody in Didcot has nice Morals...  ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #54 on: 20 September, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »
I had a look round Didcot at the end of July, while waiting for Clarion and Butterfly's wedding party to arrive.  The one-sided high street is no myth.  It is one scary place though; everyone I passed looked at me as if they wanted to fight me.  OK, I was on a very heavily-loaded bike and wearing a very silly jersey, but even so...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

« Reply #55 on: 20 September, 2010, 08:57:22 pm »
We were looking at houses in the area in the early 90s; visiting the EAs on Didcot Broadway always felt like walking into a Wild West town.

Mrs MV's criteria for buying a house included not being able to see the power station.  Though you could see it from the Downs above Lambourn

plumes at sunset

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #56 on: 20 September, 2010, 10:35:06 pm »
We were looking at houses in the area in the early 90s; visiting the EAs on Didcot Broadway always felt like walking into a Wild West town.

I lived just outside Didcot in the mid 90's (1995). One of the new developments in the outlying villages that suffered from the rapid proliferation of station-adjacent starter homes.

Didcot did have two good curry houses.

Apart from that it was entirely unremarkable as a place from which to begin a commute[1].  Harwell village was nice.

..d

[1] I was commuting to the Hammersmith Hospital. My wife was at the MRC unit at Harwell.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #57 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:24:13 am »
Never been to didcot.......I think

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 21 September, 2010, 11:06:09 am »

Didcot did have two good curry houses.

Still does.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 21 September, 2010, 11:11:26 am »
Never been to didcot.......I think

Trust me, you'd know if you had...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #60 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:08:57 pm »
I've just been through it.

The next great place on the list is Slough.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:13:44 pm »
Make sure you start a new thread for Slough - I wouldn't want them to feel any less special.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #62 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:45:01 pm »
Didcot inhabitants have tin bath addictions if anagrams are to be believed.  And in the interests of equality, Slough people sell huge poop.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #63 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:10:35 am »
Another first for Didcot, uniting the locally important themes of power generation and crap towns, is reported on the BBC website.
Not especially helpful or mature

Chris S

« Reply #64 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:17:48 am »
Another first for Didcot, uniting the locally important themes of power generation and crap towns, is reported on the BBC website.

Not wishing to big up Didcot, as I'm sure they didn't site this Biogas plant because of the ambience and local scenery, but it does look a rather excellent scheme. Why has it taken so long to do this I wonder?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #65 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:45:52 am »

Not wishing to big up Didcot, as I'm sure they didn't site this Biogas plant because of the ambience and local scenery, but it does look a rather excellent scheme. Why has it taken so long to do this I wonder?
I think the fact that they didn't tell anyone in Didcot*  should be a strong hint!

*(apart from the end users, who I suspect are actually in one of the villages nearer the plant - until I get further facts anyway ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #66 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:47:06 am »
I think it's crap.
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #67 on: 05 October, 2010, 11:51:54 am »

I expect because we're only now getting to the point where it's as cheap or cheaper to build this kind of plant than it is to extract gas from the ground.  The progress made in the last few years with breeding / genetically modifying appropriate bacteria for the digestion/fermentation process may also have helped.  Then again maybe not...
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #68 on: 05 October, 2010, 12:44:27 pm »
It sounds, on the face of it at least, an excellent idea. In the nineteenth century we had sewer gas for street lighting, this is taking the same idea and using it with twenty-first century efficiency.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #69 on: 05 October, 2010, 02:46:56 pm »
It sounds, on the face of it at least, an excellent idea. In the nineteenth century we had sewer gas for street lighting, this is taking the same idea and using it with twenty-first century efficiency.

We still have a sewer gas powered light in London
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 05 October, 2010, 02:55:45 pm »
To be fair, those were more a convenient and safe way of burning off the sewer gas rather than using it for lighting.  They still primarily ran on gas from the gas main.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewer_gas_destructor_lamp

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #71 on: 05 October, 2010, 03:12:14 pm »
Well, yes, but why waste an opportunity to ramble on eh?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #72 on: 05 October, 2010, 10:34:31 pm »

The government described the new power scheme as 'historic and full of pootential'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #73 on: 06 October, 2010, 07:44:55 am »
Pistoric, surely?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #74 on: 06 October, 2010, 08:12:58 am »
Fart hinking too.
It is simpler than it looks.