Author Topic: Info' and opinions Please Peak 2 Creek luggage?  (Read 5323 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Info' and opinions Please Peak 2 Creek luggage?
« on: 27 February, 2009, 06:38:51 pm »
j.t.James cycles has a rack bag by PEAK 2 CREEK THAT FITS EXACTLY WHAT BROTHER IS LOOKING FOR.
He has asked if I could find anybody that knows anything about the brand so would appreciate feedback etc.
Ta
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Re: Info' and opinions Please Peak 2 Creek luggage?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2009, 07:02:42 pm »
I've got 2 Creek2Peak rack bags and they're brilliant.  I have used the larger one on my LEJoG and other long tours and it was bulletproof.  I noticed that J T James has them at big reductions, far cheaper than anywhere else and a lot less than I paid.  I'd recommend them totally.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2009, 07:35:54 pm »
+1

I have a Creek to Peak rack bag and use it on my day-long Audax rides (which it was purchased for) and I used on my 3-times a week commute.

It has been rugged and durable and I would happily recommend it.

Lycra Man

« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2009, 07:48:27 pm »
I have a Creek2Peak rack bag which I bought from a member of this forum.

Ideal for my commuter bike and has plenty of storage capacity.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2009, 08:04:10 pm »
I'm planning on using my Creek2Peak racktop bag for LEL. I've used it on several long Audaxes (including a 600). It's top.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2009, 09:08:23 am »
I've used one for a couple of Dun Runs: another  :thumbsup: here.

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2009, 09:51:35 am »
If they are built to the same standards as the panniers then go for it.

I recently replaced a BikeHut pannier with a pair of Creek2Peak panniers (nothing wrong with the bikehut one, just too small).

The first time out with them I had forgotten to engage the clips, and the pack fell off when I hit a pothole, skidding down the road as it went.

I turned around, picked it up, fixed it back on and carried on my way.  Once back at the digs I checked the bag out to find that apart from it being filthy there was no damage done.

It also keeps the rain out in all but the monsoon type downpours we had the other week (when I doubt anything less than a totally sealed bag would have kept things dry!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2009, 11:09:57 am »
Thanks folks. I'll pass on the recommendations as soon as I can get in touch with him.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2009, 09:06:12 pm »
I have a couple of the panniers. Basic hooks, but very good quality stitching. I've really mistreated mine, and nothing has broken or worn out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

The Mechanic

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2009, 03:39:36 pm »
which panniers do you have Tiermat.  There seem to be different types and sizes.

tiermat

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2009, 03:47:07 pm »
I have the 56 litre pair (so 28 litre each)

Loads of room in them, a big front pocket (under the flap), a top pocket which holds the BRIGHT orange rain cover and they are supplied with thick plastic bags if you want the belts and braces approach to keeping your stuff dry.  They have a pouch inside the flap of each of them for a first aid kit and one side pocket (which annoyingly catches on your heel if you put them on the wrong side!!)

I use them on a Topeak DX rack (one of those ones where the top bag slides in on a track) but the panniers are just a bit too long for the bottom hook to engage with the rack.  Thankfully the top hooks have lock sliders on them that prevent the packs from falling off when going over bumpy stuff (like the A4 or the A30!!!)

There is enough room in just one of them to carry a full change of clothes, including shoes, or all clothes and 4 books and a DVD...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »
I just bought the Creek2Peak Pioneer (16 litres) and it seems perfect for my long Audax needs (400km & 600km)

expanded

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2009, 07:26:05 pm »

Are they the Discovery or the Pioneer (both 56ltr)?  I ask because I'm in the market for panniers.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2009, 07:53:06 pm »
I just bought the Creek2Peak Pioneer (16 litres) and it seems perfect for my long Audax needs (400km & 600km)

That's exactly the one I have that claims to be 22L (when expanded) and what I'm going to use for LEL.

I know I can fit what I need for a 600 (including a spare layer and rain jacket) into it when not expanded having used it thus. The expanded section will be enough to take the one spare set of clothes (or the dirty set) I may have to carry between some controls (depending on whether I get to one of my two bag drops or not on any particular day).

They are excellent. 3 velcro straps are fitted in 30 seconds, undone in 10 seconds and carried into a control.

Craig

« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2009, 10:44:53 pm »
Is anyone using one of these rack bags with a narrow rack, ie Tubus or Tortec Ultralite? Do the velcro straps hold it on securely?
With my current bag, the straps are not quite long enough, especially when the side pockets are full, so its not held on very well. I'm currently using a bungee cord to keep it in place.

« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2009, 11:20:28 pm »
I'm using my Creek2Peak rackbag (as above) on a Tortec Ultralite. Not a problem.

The Tubus Fly rack was too thin for it so I got rid of it.

tiermat

« Reply #16 on: 03 March, 2009, 08:50:07 am »

Are they the Discovery or the Pioneer (both 56ltr)?  I ask because I'm in the market for panniers.

I got the Discovery, had to check on the website, but the shop only had the more expensive ones in :)

LEE

« Reply #17 on: 03 March, 2009, 08:51:18 am »
How wide is the top of a Tortec Ultralite (measuring outside edges of tubes)?

I'm considering one for another bike so I can use the Rack-Pack

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #18 on: 03 March, 2009, 08:57:25 am »
How wide is the top of a Tortec Ultralite (measuring outside edges of tubes)?

I'm considering one for another bike so I can use the Rack-Pack

I'll check tonight if noone beats me to it - but basically its a standard width rack. Doesn't seem any more narrow that the tubus I have on my Galaxy.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 03 March, 2009, 11:19:18 am »
Is anyone using one of these rack bags with a narrow rack, ie Tubus or Tortec Ultralite? Do the velcro straps hold it on securely?

I've used a Discovery rack pack on a Tortec rack.  It did once attempt to slide off the side, but I put this down to numptyism on my part rather than any fault with the bag/rack, as it's never done it again.  It does overhang the tail of the rack a bit, but this doen't seem to be an issue.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime