Author Topic: Front wheel ideas?  (Read 1024 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Front wheel ideas?
« on: 08 August, 2010, 12:30:44 am »
Looking to change the front wheel on my Longstaff trike conversion.  The wheel has been in use for about 20 years and I do remember cleaning it once, not long after I got it in 1999 O:-), but it is starting to look a bit scruffy.  I need a good solid 26" front wheel with a rim wide enough to take Big Apple tyres and strong enough to handle the wierd forces that a fat bloke puts on a trike front end.
Wonga, Moola, Earth Pounds or whatever are in pretty short supply so I'll have to decide what I want, get a decent price on it and save up for however long it takes.
Advice would be welcomed.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Zoidburg

Re: Front wheel ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2010, 12:36:57 am »
MTB wheels for rim brakes in the mid range are cheap strong and easily picked up second hand as well these days.

£50 max new, much less if you have a recycling project near by with a big pile of second hand ones to sort through.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2010, 10:08:02 pm »
Never thought of a used wheel. I shall check out the local places.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2010, 02:52:04 am »
Velocity Cliffhanger rims

Sapim Race double butted spokes, 14/15 gauge w/ Polyax nipples

Your choice of front hub.

Not cheap, but if it's properly built it should be spinning round and true long after the rest of the bike has crumbled to dust.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2010, 07:07:19 am »
I think them Velocity rims are for hippy.s and fashion bikes. Best getting some Mavic rims or similar ?

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2010, 07:37:52 pm »
Found a Local bloke has got some 2nd Hand wheels around so I'll have a poke at those over the next day or two and see if anything looks good enough.  The Trike really needs a full strip down and service so I'll probably stick with the ratty wheel that is on there at the moment, it is good and strong but just looks really scruffy, and put a new one on when I do the whole thing.

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2010, 07:41:54 pm »
I think them Velocity rims are for hippy.s and fashion bikes. Best getting some Mavic rims or similar ?
Any bog standard MTB rim will do and last an age, Mavic, Weinman, Ritchey etc etc.

Boutique is nothing more than snake oil.