Author Topic: Rainlegs?  (Read 9019 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Rainlegs?
« on: 02 October, 2008, 08:24:27 pm »
Has anybody got these, they were kind of a up to the hip rain protector. I am looking for comments on them and any pictures of them would be really useful.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Rainlegs?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:29:18 pm »
I'm intrigued by these as well, I'm sure there are users on here. If you want to know what they look like here is a picture.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:30:13 pm »
PeterM has some

I wouldn't let him wear them unless he rode at least 500 m behind me.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:31:08 pm »
 ;D ;D That is my only real concern about them.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:34:33 pm »
I'm going to get some

Don't care what I look like. But they protect the only part of my legs that get wet and uncomfortable in the rain.

And if all you guys think you look Ace to the general public in your lycra - then think again. Rainlegs won't be the clothing article that push you over the weirdo edge.
 ;D

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:46:14 pm »
Thanks for the link Toekeep. Will definitely think on these. I must admit I didn't think they were available any more.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:47:15 pm »
Rainlegs won't be the clothing article that push you over the weirdo edge.

I'd reserve judgment on that til you see some actually deployed

;)

« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:57:44 pm »
I reckon they could be spot on. As mentioned previously - the only part that gets truly sodden seems to be the thigh area. Doing away with surplus material must cut down on packing volume, and you get the added benefit of being able to strut about like a cowboy in his chaps! :P

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:23:57 pm »
I have a pair and they are indeed spot on!
Light, fold very small and effective.
When cycling almost all rain and wetnesses from the sky lands on your thighs.
The fit around your waist with a clip belt. You can roll them up and they are held with 4 press studs. If you like, you can cycle with them as a rolled up belt if rain is threatened.
The "legs" reach to just below the knee and are fastened around the knee with some elasticated velcro straps.
Further elasticated straps go from the fabric in the crotch to buckles on the belt on each side. It sounds horrific but is dead easy to put on and use and is very comfortable.
They act very well as thigh warmers and they survive pelting heavy rain. I carry them all the time and use them whenever it is wet.
Yesterday evening was a case in point - 35 mph gale on the peaks with driving rain and the odd bit of sleet. Bib shorts, Assos leg warmers (also water repellent), overbooties and Rainlegs - legs were dry and warm.
I have no hesitation in recommending them and would buy them again if I had to. Mine have lasted almost 3 years now, I think.

« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:31:46 pm »
Well that's settled it - I'm getting a pair! Do they come in a transparent material? that would be cool - if that's not a contradiction in terms!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #10 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:33:49 pm »
Black and silver only, I seem to remember...

Further to my last....
One thing I have found is that if you have a LOT of standing water then your legs below the rainlegs can get quite wet from spray from the front wheel and other vehicles wheels and this can run into your shoes despite overshoes.
However, I tend to wear either water repellent leg warmers or, in the cold months, long bibs with a waterproof front panel that stops most of this.

Secretcyclist

« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:35:10 pm »
- another thumbs up, having used rain legs extensively, including SR series/PBP must say i quite like them.

- they work well, great to have dry/warm thighs/knees (and privates) without encumbrance of over trousers. Slight faff to fasten on (clips/velcro), then when rolling up, you have to be careful to roll up the ‘right way’ so that various press studs (which need fastening to keep them rolled up…), are correctly oriented - don’t underestimate the frustration of getting this wrong; especially when tired i find this can be an unwelcome challenge which usually takes a couple of attempts.

Overall, expensive maybe for what they are, but effective, so would defn recommend to a friend.

« Reply #12 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:41:37 pm »
And denim, apparently! (but not leather)

Possibly the gayest thing I've ever seen.:P

« Reply #13 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:43:22 pm »
I defy anyone to look at that picture and still consider buying these things.

OK, comfort is paramount - but you have to draw the line somewhere!

« Reply #14 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:44:36 pm »
PeterM has some

I wouldn't let him wear them unless he rode at least 500 m behind me.

The last place I'd want a man in chaps is behind me.

« Reply #15 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:48:17 pm »
I feel we're being quite unhelpful here. I genuinely think that rainlegs are alright, and I am seriously considering getting a pair - but just not in denim, see-through or leather.

« Reply #16 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:49:53 pm »
We are being helpful - we're trying to save you from being tarred and feathered in some provincial town...

Secretcyclist

« Reply #17 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »
really Deano?? I don’t thnk they look too bad -  although did once fancy a pair of Carradice Duxback Spats (the yellow ones) – perhaps luckily, SJS cycles told me I wasn’t old enough to be purchasing such things…

« Reply #18 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:53:17 pm »
This is not for my benefit - and anyway I'm well used to ridicule! (I'm thinking of a biblical saying about a prophet not being recognised by his own people) ;)

bikenerd

« Reply #19 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:53:59 pm »
I have some and have used them a couple of times.  They're good at keeping your legs dry and warm but you do look like a prize tit in them.  I don't mind as I'm used to people pointing and laughing.  :)
I had to cut down the waist strap on mine as it was extremely long.  Burning the strap of a hi tech pair of chaps adds a certain something to your life experience, I think.
I think a pair of cheap waterproof trousers cut down would work just as well.  Although you may get sweaty arse syndrome with them.

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:57:04 pm »
I'm sorry TOKaMAK

If you have never seen anyone actually wearing these...I can assure that they don't look anything like those nice posed models do.  I've had the misfortune of seeing both Pete and George Hanna wearing them and no matter how wondrous they are, I'd rather nail my own head to the floor than wear them.  Or even stand near someone who is.

This from  a man who uses SPD sandals. 

I think I've done more than my share of slogging through the wind and rain, and I've honestly never had a problem that I felt these would resolve.  And they make you look like a gimp ;)

bikenerd

« Reply #21 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:01:44 pm »
... no matter how wondrous they are, I'd rather nail my own head to the floor than wear them.

I find a nice gilet completes the outfit rather well.

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:02:44 pm »
... no matter how wondrous they are, I'd rather nail my own head to the floor than wear them.

I find a nice gilet completes the outfit rather well.

;D

That made me laugh out loud and startle the cat

« Reply #23 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:03:25 pm »
So I guess the thing to do then is to go to Evans and try a pair on and pose in front of a mirror before opening your wallet. I am quite vain, so this will probably actually happen.::-)

« Reply #24 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:03:44 pm »
really Deano?? I don’t thnk they look too bad -  although did once fancy a pair of Carradice Duxback Spats (the yellow ones) – perhaps luckily, SJS cycles told me I wasn’t old enough to be purchasing such things…

Cycling Spats, thankfully, is one cycling fashion that I managed to avoid ;D