Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2399711 times)

Robbo5

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #350 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:47:17 pm »
It was bar end when I took the photo, but now it is fitted with a twist grip of my own making by the centre bulge, it is a lot neater. There is a German firm, whose name I have forgotten, who make something similar (and expensive). (Yes I am south pawed.)

Photo please

alan

« Reply #351 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:18:40 pm »
Those black nipples will be a nice pink again Gordon when the bruising has gone :demon:

LEE

« Reply #352 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:43:06 am »
It was bar end when I took the photo, but now it is fitted with a twist grip of my own making by the centre bulge, it is a lot neater. There is a German firm, whose name I have forgotten, who make something similar (and expensive). (Yes I am south pawed.)

Photo please

Looks interesting.  If you ever take it off for servicing I'd be interested to see how it is made.  Does it slide over the bars and then tighten using a shim?  The cables appear to run along the bars but maybe they are just brake cables.

« Reply #353 on: 01 July, 2008, 09:13:17 am »
The cables appear to run along the bars but maybe they are just brake cables.

You can see the two gear cables running vertically down next to the head tube.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #354 on: 01 July, 2008, 01:48:25 pm »
Here's my tourer - the bike was originally a Diamond Back Outlook bought for £100 in 1999, but since the frame's comfortable and fits me well, I've given it a few different guises over the years.

With the recent addition of Salsa Bell Lap bars, Tektro V-brake levers, bar-end shifters (swapped for DVD player), a Brooks B17 and various spare bits, it's a satisfactory answer to the question "How do I get a cheap touring bike?"

I'll add some smoother tyres, a rack at the front and a 36-spoke rear wheel, then it'll be ready for Land's End to John O'Groats in 3 weeks' time :)

Here it is in action at the weekend, on Sleightholme Moor:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #355 on: 01 July, 2008, 02:40:54 pm »
Will we see that one in action on Lumpy Tea and Cakes Dean?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #356 on: 01 July, 2008, 02:43:58 pm »
Pictures like that are the reason that the disassembly of my mtb/tourer (so that I can sell it) is going so slowly. Well, that and the fact that despite following Sheldon's Seven Steps, I can't get the seatpost out.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

bobajobrob

« Reply #357 on: 01 July, 2008, 04:02:06 pm »

My tourer in LEJoG mode :thumbsup:

Have fitted new LX canti brakes (thanks MV) and Kool stop dual compound pads. Very nice stopping power, feels comparable to v-brakes. I tried the Shimano pads that came with the brakes, they were terrible - abrasive. See also Why you should use decent pads for your rim brakes

The bike's currently weighing in at 26kg, but with all the other stuff I'm taking and a full pantry it will be more like 35kg. It feels strange at first after not riding loaded for over a year, a bit like riding a boat. Heavy and slow handling, but very comfortable and secure.

We are doing it sensibly, 15 days gives 60 miles per day average. The main issue is Dad who's 64 and hasn't done anything this ambitious for 40 years. He's been inspired to cycle again by my cycling exploits over the last few years. He reckons he can average 13mph though.

The only problem is I'm all ready but it's two days away >:( :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #358 on: 01 July, 2008, 04:06:08 pm »
Looking good.
Getting there...

« Reply #359 on: 01 July, 2008, 04:10:29 pm »
He's Fully loaded. Get a stunning backdrop and submit the picture.

bobajobrob

« Reply #360 on: 01 July, 2008, 05:39:04 pm »
He's Fully loaded. Get a stunning backdrop and submit the picture.

Where to??

PH

« Reply #361 on: 01 July, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »
Wish I had a grey Cortina....  That wish never came to anything but when it came to choosing a bike colour I didn't hesitate and now with matching rims.

That choice has come in for some criticism over the last few years, with some wits asking when the top coat was going on.  I always knew grey was a good colour and who on YACF could disagree ;D

« Reply #362 on: 01 July, 2008, 05:45:07 pm »

Pittville Park again?  That was the destination of most of my early bike rides between the ages of 5 and about 8 or 9.

« Reply #363 on: 01 July, 2008, 07:00:17 pm »
Will we see that one in action on Lumpy Tea and Cakes Dean?

Maybe.  But I've a third bike which you haven't seen yet ;)

Pictures like that are the reason that the disassembly of my mtb/tourer (so that I can sell it) is going so slowly. Well, that and the fact that despite following Sheldon's Seven Steps, I can't get the seatpost out.

Aye, it's great having a go-anywhere bike :)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #364 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:09:20 pm »
The long-awaited C50 is here!

« Reply #365 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:23:22 pm »
Wow!  :P
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

bobajobrob

« Reply #366 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:25:48 pm »
Pittville Park again?  That was the destination of most of my early bike rides between the ages of 5 and about 8 or 9.

Yeap, on the bridge by the loos. It's fun to pootle round the park :P

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #367 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:29:06 pm »
The long-awaited C50 is here!
Gorgeous.  8)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

bobajobrob

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #370 on: 02 July, 2008, 01:03:38 pm »
Just finished a new bike for my girlfriend, a Trek 1.2 WSD frame that I have made into a Audax style bike for her, this is her first road bike, she has been using her old ATB until now for up to 100 miles, after that ride she agreed that she would like to join me riding from Bordeaux to Barcelona, I may have not highlighted the part about the Pyrenees being in between the two when trying to convince her to go mind you, so decided to treat her to a bike, hoping that it will help her to get over them; without hitting me! Most of the spec' was based on my own Van Nicholas Yukon

Trek 1.2 WSD 47cm frame with Mavic Kysrium Equipe wheels

TA Carmina 165mm 26-36-46, this gives roughly 24" to 95" gear ratios with 13-29 cassette

Campagnolo Record Red label Ergo, indulged here as personally I prefer to the non QS front shifting and clunkier gear change.

Campagnolo Comp triple mech with 13-29 cassette

Campagnolo Comp Front mech, dsigned for larger rings, as you can see the outer plate does not follow the chain ring line, but it still works well enough.

Short depth bars, Shimano R650 57mm brakes

Cateye Strada Wireless computer

As for Louisa she thought it looked lovely, although when I started to tell her the thought that went into the equipment choices I could see her eyes glazing over  ::-)  ;D

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #371 on: 02 July, 2008, 01:56:50 pm »
That is rather spiff. :)
Getting there...

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #372 on: 02 July, 2008, 02:12:52 pm »
Is that a Terry saddle?

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #373 on: 02 July, 2008, 02:23:27 pm »
Is that a Terry saddle?
Very similar, it is a Bontrager, the frame is available as a complete bike only so I ordered that in and upgraded all but the WSD items, the saddle being one of them, the bars the other, everything else I upgraded as above.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

« Reply #374 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:27:33 pm »
From this:

To this: