Author Topic: Geriatricity/RRTY  (Read 1566 times)

Geriatricity/RRTY
« on: 20 May, 2019, 08:51:19 pm »
I have just completed my third RRTY, plus 2 winter halves interrupted by breakages.
Is it time to jump off the train?
I have just past the three quarter centenary mark, and I no longer want to sleep in bus shelters, nor even on village hall floors, though I still enjoy the ride, particularly if it is not too icy. I guess my pace is also easing off.
I would love to do LEL again, but I was injured in 2017 and nae sure if I will be able to hack it in 2021.
What do other geriatrics do?

Re: Geriatricity/RRTY
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:04:42 pm »
Just do what you enjoy. I gave up masochism some time ago, and have nothing to prove to myself, let alone anyone else  8)

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:59:39 pm »
I suspect Fidgetbuzz and 3peaker are the voices of authority on this matter; they both have more than 100 consecutive months of RRTY in their palmares. I managed 84 months.

In the end something runs out; one's years, fitness, or ability to give a f*ck. Last person standing, and all that!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:51:19 pm »
The standard 200km ride was designed for maximum distance in summer daylight.

Sounds just right for sensible mortals.

The late legend that was Jack Eason did very long rides into his 80s but caused concern on his last LEL...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:58:46 pm »
I think the oldest to finish PBP was 80 but the DNF rates tend to increase significantly past 65. If it is fun, keep going. If not, switch to shorter distances or do something that is actually fun. We aren't getting paid to do this sort of thing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:58:48 pm »
The standard 200km ride was designed for maximum distance in summer daylight.

In Italy!
So a wee bit longer this far north.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2019, 03:30:25 pm »
I have just completed my third RRTY, plus 2 winter halves interrupted by breakages.
Is it time to jump off the train?
I have just past the three quarter centenary mark, and I no longer want to sleep in bus shelters, nor even on village hall floors, though I still enjoy the ride, particularly if it is not too icy. I guess my pace is also easing off.
I would love to do LEL again, but I was injured in 2017 and nae sure if I will be able to hack it in 2021.
What do other geriatrics do?

I'm three years behind you but with a couple of doses of heart trouble after PBP 2015 I decided to jack it in.  I do still love the idea of riding through the night and trying to beat deadlines, but not when I remember how it really felt getting out of a nice warm bed at 2 am for a 3 am start.  I don't care to start in the rain any more either.

I'm hoping to do a couple of my pet 200s this year and get over one col I've done every year since 2000 that I haven't been under doc's orders, but I won't be unduly annoyed if I don't.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight