Author Topic: DFDS Newhaven - Dieppe Ferry  (Read 4821 times)

Phil W

DFDS Newhaven - Dieppe Ferry
« on: 25 October, 2018, 03:51:50 pm »
Bookings are now open for PBP dates.

I have booked

Thu 15th August 2019 23:00 outbound
Fri 23rd August 2019 23:59 inbound

I have also booked a four bed cabin for both ways as sleeping in chairs / floor last time was bloody awful.  You can join me in the cabins for £27.50 to cover you both ways.  First come first served.

Phil W

Re: DFDS Newhaven - Dieppe Ferry
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2018, 10:57:07 pm »
All beds / spaces in cabin now taken.

« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2018, 11:26:47 pm »
Just booked my ensuite 'cabine' for the same crossings. Incredibly good value - (whilst 'stocks last...')!!!

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:04:34 pm »
Am I to infer that you are making the same offer as Phil W? If so, have you still got a berth spare in each direction?
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2018, 10:57:18 pm »
What I meant was I have booked for myself and friends as well, so I do apologise if I may have inferred something different to that!
OTH, the prices and availability at this date - Don't hesitate, it will sellout quickly!
And, unbelievably, the ferry companies now have a VERY limited finite number of cycles spaces allocated on each crossing. Never mind, there are cavernous spaces to two a bike!

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2018, 10:28:32 pm »
Nae worries. As you weren’t actually stating it, it was probably rather presumptuous of me to have asked.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2018, 05:32:51 pm »
Sure if you get yourself a four berth then you will find takers. There are usually a fair few riding down who take that ferry.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 02 November, 2018, 02:27:59 pm »
Looked at trains options to Newhaven and decided Portsmouth makes more sense so am sailing into Caen on Brittany ferries new* tub.
does mean a choice between Southern from Victoria or SWT from Waterloo and getting to either from KingsX though...

* given the high profile inability of ship builders to deliver LNG ferries on time right now, it'll either be cancelled at the last minute or some old tub...

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2018, 02:40:36 pm »
There are direct East Coast trains from north of London to Brighton now so getting to Newhaven via London is a lot easier than 2015.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 02 November, 2018, 03:02:37 pm »
Arguing about Newhaven -vs- Portsmouth crossing is like Campy -vs- Shimano debates of old*!

fans get just as passionate, but in reality they each have their Pros-n-cons.

*Or t***s -vs- t***less. Or 1x -vs- triples? Am I upto date yet? Probably not ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 02 November, 2018, 04:03:30 pm »
Arguing about Newhaven -vs- Portsmouth crossing is like Campy -vs- Shimano debates of old*!

fans get just as passionate, but in reality they each have their Pros-n-cons.

*Or t***s -vs- t***less. Or 1x -vs- triples? Am I upto date yet? Probably not ...

Wasn't intended as an argument; just a statement of what I'd decided based on train options, companies and timetable considerations to suit me.

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2018, 04:37:51 pm »
Exactly and Newhaven suits me as I can get a direct east coast train to Brighton (or earlier stations for a longer pedal) with decent bike carrying space. Thus missing out piddling about through London.

Ben T

« Reply #12 on: 02 November, 2018, 04:55:40 pm »
Will b**x*t affect ferries? I'm thinking massive queues of lorries might be suboptimal.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2018, 06:44:03 pm »
Looked at trains options to Newhaven and decided Portsmouth makes more sense so am sailing into Caen on Brittany ferries new* tub.
does mean a choice between Southern from Victoria or SWT from Waterloo and getting to either from KingsX though...

* given the high profile inability of ship builders to deliver LNG ferries on time right now, it'll either be cancelled at the last minute or some old tub...
If, as I suspect, you're arriving at King's Cross from Scotland, you can walk across the road to St. Pancras International Low Level and pick up the Thameslink Brighton or Horsham train through that there London and change to the Southern train to Pompey at either East Croydon or Gatport Airwick, thus avoiding the ride through the middle of London.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #14 on: 02 November, 2018, 06:54:37 pm »
If, as I suspect, you're arriving at King's Cross from Scotland, you can walk across the road to St. Pancras International Low Level and pick up the Thameslink Brighton or Horsham train through that there London and change to the Southern train to Pompey at either East Croydon or Gatport Airwick, thus avoiding the ride through the middle of London.
All of the above applies to Newhaven!

Fite!

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #15 on: 02 November, 2018, 08:17:19 pm »
All of the above applies to Newhaven!

Indeed, with the addition that a change is also possible from the Brighton train at Haywards Heath (and Lewes), or Brighton itself. (Although the original question from FifeingEejit was about Pompey services!)

Fite!

:-D :P
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #16 on: 03 November, 2018, 11:52:01 pm »
Newhaven appealed to me, as I live in SE London, and will most likely roll down to the ferry from home on the day. Might even ride back as well (if I'm not too knackered), but nice to know the train is always an option!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #17 on: 04 November, 2018, 05:17:19 pm »
I have booked the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen. It leaves at midnight and I can catch the train from Reading. There are also trains from Caen to Evreux with is about 50 miles away from the start.

The reason I chose Portsmouth is that there are trains direst fro Basingstoke that is 18 miles from my house.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 05 November, 2018, 05:10:47 pm »
Apparently bookings on that ferry route are down due to worries over Brexit.