Author Topic: PBP 2019 Qualifiers.  (Read 32071 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: PBP 2019 Qualifiers.
« Reply #75 on: 09 March, 2018, 12:18:46 pm »
Prior to 2015 participants had to prove insurance. In 2015 insurance was arranged for everyone. However, French participants had to be members of the relevant bodies, although the insurance augmented their existing cover. So don't worry.

I have severe reservations about this ..

when organising LEL 2013 I could not get any answer from any of the  PBP organisers about who provided their 2011 insurance.

When organising LEL 2017 .. UK insurers would NOT provide any cover for  any overseas resident, and I would be concerned that the same might well apply to a French insurance contract .

However if any AUK /UK resident has had a successful insurance claim for PBP 2015 .. I would be delighted to learn that the French did actually mean what they say.

My personal choice would be to organise standard travel cover for 7 days making sure that 3rd party cover was included
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #76 on: 09 March, 2018, 01:10:05 pm »
Or qualify with 4 x 600s. There is always somebody who waits until the last possible moment to decide to qualify for PBP.

So if I do over-distance rides then I'm allowed to leave them until the qualification deadlines for the longer distances?  Thanks, that's really useful.

The date windows are 'guidelines'.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #77 on: 09 March, 2018, 01:17:37 pm »
Good-oh  :thumbsup:

« Reply #78 on: 09 March, 2018, 01:29:53 pm »
Or qualify with 4 x 600s. There is always somebody who waits until the last possible moment to decide to qualify for PBP.

So if I do over-distance rides then I'm allowed to leave them until the qualification deadlines for the longer distances?  Thanks, that's really useful.

The date windows are 'guidelines'.

On the AUK website the dates provided are very specific and appear to be the only dates when qualifying rides of each type can be ridden in the UK.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #79 on: 09 March, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »

On the AUK website the dates provided are very specific and appear to be the only dates when qualifying rides of each type can be ridden in the UK.

That's how AUK implements ACP's guidelines.

« Reply #80 on: 09 March, 2018, 01:43:04 pm »
So when riding UK qualifying rides, you need to adhere to those dates. That is my interpretation.

Although ACP may issue guidelines, the AUK dates are actually quite rigid and non-negotiable. Unless I am missing something.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #81 on: 09 March, 2018, 02:24:44 pm »
So when riding UK qualifying rides, you need to adhere to those dates. That is my interpretation.

Although ACP may issue guidelines, the AUK dates are actually quite rigid and non-negotiable. Unless I am missing something.

You won't have a choice, because UK BRMs will only be available within the set dates.   

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #82 on: 09 March, 2018, 03:14:32 pm »
I'm sure there's an expression in latin to cover this.. reductio ad absurdum?

« Reply #83 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:07:45 pm »

You won't have a choice, because UK BRMs will only be available within the set dates.   

You do have a choice as AUK isn't the only choice for providing validating rides. Other countries that do Audax do exist, with different interpretations of the dates (including Australia which tends to do their qualifying rides in their summer, so late 2018 and early 2019).

Being able to substitute longer rides for shorter ones also blurs the windows (so to speak).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #84 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:36:14 pm »

So if I request to organise a BRM 200 in June 2019 say, I'll be denied?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #85 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:38:07 pm »

Not at all - it just won't be listed as a PBP qualifier.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #86 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:47:55 pm »

No - just that if you organise a 200 between 12 January and 28 April 2019, you'll be encouraged to make it a BRM (and hence a qualifier) rather than have it as a BR, and similarly for the windows for the longer distances.

« Reply #87 on: 09 March, 2018, 05:29:10 pm »
Prior to 2015 participants had to prove insurance. In 2015 insurance was arranged for everyone. However, French participants had to be members of the relevant bodies, although the insurance augmented their existing cover. So don't worry.

I have severe reservations about this ..

when organising LEL 2013 I could not get any answer from any of the  PBP organisers about who provided their 2011 insurance.

When organising LEL 2017 .. UK insurers would NOT provide any cover for  any UK resident, and I would be concerned that the same might well apply to a French insurance contract .

However if any AUK /UK resident has had a successful insurance claim for PBP 2015 .. I would be delighted to learn that the French did actually mean what they say.

My personal choice would be to organise standard travel cover for 7 days making sure that 3rd party cover was included

We were discussing the constant references to 'licences'. Which has to do with the membership arrangements of French sports organisations, the relevant ones here being the FFCT, FSGT and UFOLEP. They all provide insurance for their riders.

Those from outside France used to have to show that they had relevant insurance. The CTC were one provider who understood the situation. People can worry all they want about insurance, but they don't have to worry about licences.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #88 on: 09 March, 2018, 07:03:35 pm »

Really? Realistically 500 folks will head across the channel for PBP, out of a membership of over 7,000 and a pool of riders doing Audaxes which probably hits 5 figures.
So, overall, we are talking about 5% of the typical clientele needing to qualify for PBP... and for that, you say there won't be any BRM 300 after the 26th of May and nothing at all after the 23rd of June? REALLY?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #89 on: 09 March, 2018, 07:10:39 pm »
Traditionally the British brevets outside their PBP qualifying periods are BRs, not BRMs. It didn't seem to cause too many problems in previous years.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #90 on: 09 March, 2018, 07:17:56 pm »

Really? Realistically 500 folks will head across the channel for PBP, out of a membership of over 7,000 and a pool of riders doing Audaxes which probably hits 5 figures.
So, overall, we are talking about 5% of the typical clientele needing to qualify for PBP... and for that, you say there won't be any BRM 300 after the 26th of May and nothing at all after the 23rd of June? REALLY?
I think it's fairly clear that Ian - responding to psyclist's question about qualifying rides - was referring to UK qualifying rides. He was not referring to  ALL BRMs.

(You can look at 2015 - there were indeed 300k BRM's in July (not June). But they were not qualifying rides. Really. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #91 on: 09 March, 2018, 07:34:01 pm »

But such a theoretical ride could still be used to qualify for PBP though right? (Since ACP aren't so specific about when the qualifying rides occur, they only issue guidelines, hence Australia able to do their qualifying rides in their summer in late 2018/early 2019).

Unsurprisingly I can't remember the rules and cut off for entering the Brevet numbers into the ACP site to convert a pre-registration into a full registration from the one time I did it in 2011. What I do remember is that I'd entered 3 out of the 4 and then had to wait a bit for me to ride my 600 and then for the Brevet numbers to come through (under 2 weeks).

« Reply #92 on: 09 March, 2018, 07:53:15 pm »

But such a theoretical ride could still be used to qualify for PBP though right? (Since ACP aren't so specific about when the qualifying rides occur, they only issue guidelines, hence Australia able to do their qualifying rides in their summer in late 2018/early 2019).

Unsurprisingly I can't remember the rules and cut off for entering the Brevet numbers into the ACP site to convert a pre-registration into a full registration from the one time I did it in 2011. What I do remember is that I'd entered 3 out of the 4 and then had to wait a bit for me to ride my 600 and then for the Brevet numbers to come through (under 2 weeks).

"BRM PBP" is AUK's own tag.  I suspect that riding a BRM event (should there be one) outside the qualifying windows would still get you to Paris, but it might be wise not to count on it. 

As Matt kindly noted, I am obviously only talking about UK events.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #93 on: 09 March, 2018, 08:04:12 pm »
The Aussies have an earlier start for their PBP qualifiers but the closing dates usually are fairly close to the European dates. I wouldn't count on a June 200 BRM getting you to PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #94 on: 09 March, 2018, 08:25:07 pm »
Interestingly, from the 2015 regulations:-

http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/index2.php?lang=en&cat=randonnee&page=reglement

"
Registration Schedule

You can register as soon as you have completed at least three of the four qualifying brevets which are scheduled between October 31, 2014 and July 07, 2015.
"

I'm not suggesting anyone tries to test that...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #95 on: 09 March, 2018, 10:00:36 pm »
Personally if I couldn't ride a qualifying 600 in 33h** I wouldn't enter PBP.  But that's because I like comfortable margins and had no wish to ever be anywhere near a cutoff time, and the more so if I had time and money invested in the project.
(** And that used to be AUK's advice, by the way, back in the mists of time - actually, aim to ride a 22h 400 before considering PBP.)
I think those time limits are good aspiration targets to check your training is on course for a comfortable ride, however I'm sure there are many people who would rather have a difficult 4 days battling the time limit and complete the ride than not attempt it and always wonder if they could have finished.

Most regrets are about things we didn't do, not things we did that were difficult or unpleasant.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #96 on: 09 March, 2018, 11:33:50 pm »
Personally if I couldn't ride a qualifying 600 in 33h** I wouldn't enter PBP.  But that's because I like comfortable margins and had no wish to ever be anywhere near a cutoff time, and the more so if I had time and money invested in the project.
(** And that used to be AUK's advice, by the way, back in the mists of time - actually, aim to ride a 22h 400 before considering PBP.)
I think those time limits are good aspiration targets to check your training is on course for a comfortable ride, however I'm sure there are many people who would rather have a difficult 4 days battling the time limit and complete the ride than not attempt it and always wonder if they could have finished.

Most regrets are about things we didn't do, not things we did that were difficult or unpleasant.

I have never achieved a finishing time of less than 36 hours on a 600 but have finished PBP twice and well within the time limit on both outings.
Usual rules apply, don’t faff at controls and be fully aware of what sleep deprivation does to you.

(If we can keep up this level of input,we can have 100+ pages up before the qualifiers even start.)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #97 on: 10 March, 2018, 06:19:43 am »

(If we can keep up this level of input,we can have 100+ pages up before the qualifiers even start.)
If every British PBP finisher posts their 600/PBP times, we should probably manage that!

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #98 on: 10 March, 2018, 10:06:07 am »
32:25 and 72:43, who's next?

« Reply #99 on: 10 March, 2018, 10:11:15 am »
36 hours and 67 hours!