General Category > Racing

Transgender woman wins UCI sanctioned race

(1/8) > >>

Peat:
There's not alot of reporting on this, other than clickbaity 'news' sites reposting tweets.
So, here's the tweet from the victor and the ensuing debate underneath: https://twitter.com/rachelvmckinnon/status/1051495467979173888

I'm not really sure what the UCI 'Masters' is. Amateur event, I presume, with the UCI taking coins for use of their logo?

Anyway, I've always felt like I'm a 'let and let live' sort of chap, but this just seems... well, 'wrong'.

I'm sure this isn't the first example of it's kind, but where does this leave women's sport in general?

quixoticgeek:

Wow, there's rather a lot of hate in those twitter replies.

This, coupled with Caster Semenya, and IAU, is going to make for interesting discussions. Shame it's likely to get side tracked in the media by TERFs and general transphobes.

*sigh*

J

Kim:
Most sporting organisations have a set of medical criteria for trans women to be allowed to compete in women's events.  Usually requiring something to the effect that they've had a testosterone level below n for m years (at which point their ability to build muscle is the same as a typical cis woman).  The main issue is when cis or intersex women unwittingly fall foul of the gender police.

Best not to read the bottom half of the internet.

quixoticgeek:

--- Quote from: Kim on 15 October, 2018, 03:11:18 pm ---Most sporting organisations have a set of medical criteria for trans women to be allowed to compete in women's events.  Usually requiring something to the effect that they've had a testosterone level below n for m years (at which point their ability to build muscle is the same as a typical cis woman).  The main issue is when cis or intersex women unwittingly fall foul of the gender police.

Best not to read the bottom half of the internet.

--- End quote ---

The bottom half seems to be closer to the top than is good...

J

Peat:

--- Quote from: Kim on 15 October, 2018, 03:11:18 pm ---Most sporting organisations have a set of medical criteria for trans women to be allowed to compete in women's events.  Usually requiring something to the effect that they've had a testosterone level below n for m years (at which point their ability to build muscle is the same as a typical cis woman).  The main issue is when cis or intersex women unwittingly fall foul of the gender police.

--- End quote ---

Which, to me, says you can't have some arbitrary value determine your sex (in the eyes of a sporting body). It's far more nuanced, but are there really the resources at lower levels to go through this? I noticed the CTT has a trans policy as of this year, similar to what you have described, but wondered who would be enforcing it? I have never seen doping control in action - most events barely scrape by with enough volunteers as it is.

The relative size of the athletes doesn't bother me so much. Laura Trott is tiny and routinely thumps physically larger women. Another sport I used to follow was Skeleton Bobsleigh. It was very competitive for a while, but the arrival of Lizzie Yarnold and return of Pikus-Pace more of less killed it stone-dead (for me). Both physically taller, stronger women, towering over most of their rivals. They would win by a margin.

But physically growing up as a male and later transitioning has to bring with it certain advantages that can be measured. Why should the human rights of one person impinge upon the rights of another to compete in a fair contest?

It seems not even the trans-community is unilaterally onboard: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2018/01/11/these-transgender-cyclists-have-olympian-disagreement-how-define-fairness/995434001/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version