Author Topic: Brake pad recommendations  (Read 3129 times)

Brake pad recommendations
« on: 04 September, 2019, 04:58:09 pm »
Afternoon all,
I've got some poorly performing pads on my old tourer, so looking for some well priced upgrades.
The front brake is the same dual pivot long drop (maybe Sora?) as the rear, and has the oe pads without an issue.
The rear is well adjusted with pretty new/ low miles but never anything as like stopping power. The wheels are the same age and condition (old Mavic ma2's)
So has anyone been blown away by their pads, and willing to share?
Thanks in advance

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Brake pad recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2019, 05:40:05 pm »
Starter for 10: Koolstop Salmon

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:23:54 pm »
^This.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:25:20 pm »
Blocks.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2019, 06:25:49 pm »
DiscoBrakes. Cheap and work fine.

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2019, 07:42:16 pm »
Blocks.

yes.

In my mind  'Brake Pads' are for disc brakes.  I am happy to refer to the removable part of many brake blocks as an 'insert'. 

FWIW I may be mistaken in this but I have always assumed that implicit in the usage pf 'pad' (as a noun) was the idea of something that is thinner than it is wide; thus 'pad' seems like a daft way of referring to most brake blocks.

cheers

« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2019, 08:50:55 am »
Thanks for the cool stop salmon recommendations, and apologies for pad/ block faux Pas, like many here I have a number of bikes and most are pads but this old girl is indeed still rocking blocks.

« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2019, 09:23:05 am »
Koolstop salmon

Squeal like a PM at PMQ (without a pig), decent in the wet. Wear quite quickly, but worth the wear rate for the improved stopping in the wet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2019, 09:50:14 am »
if the rear brake is similar to, but  nothing like as good as the front, this is a pretty fair sign that the rear brake cable needs replacement/fettling. Either that or the rim is perhaps subtly contaminated with chain lube.

cheers

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2019, 10:01:15 am »
i use koolstop standard (black) on one of the bikes, they have lasted very long time, braking is very good in dry conditions, so so in the wet. rubber compound is quiet and does not eat the brake tracks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2019, 12:53:37 pm »
The dual-compound black/salmon Koolstops seem more consistent than the pure salmon, but I believe those are a V-brake thing.

« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2019, 01:45:20 pm »
I use the koolstop dual compound most of the time.

« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2019, 02:01:29 pm »
Following a recommendation from Brucey, I've been pretty "blown away" by how good Swissstop Flash Pro BXP pads blocks are (they look expensive, but are sold in packs of 4, not 2), now have these on my Hewitt Cheviot tourer, my Brompton, and now the Campagnolo-friendly Race Pro BXP version on my new Mercian. They're very good in both wet and dry and run quite clean. Are are these not the right size/shape for your needs?
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 15 September, 2019, 07:23:05 pm »
Shimano disagree with you and say shoe.
But I associate Shoe with Drum brakes and the brake option of last resort.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #14 on: 15 September, 2019, 08:38:25 pm »

But I associate Shoe with Drum brakes and the brake option of last resort.

;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2019, 12:57:01 pm »
well shimano are (not for the first time) wrong.  And everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no matter how aberrant they might be.

cheers

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2019, 04:15:53 pm »
The wikiwotsica definition for bicycles is that the shoe is the carrier of the block.
Though that's likely to be as accurate...

Phil W

« Reply #17 on: 16 September, 2019, 04:22:06 pm »
You put your brake shoes on your brake feet.  So what are your brake feet?

« Reply #18 on: 16 September, 2019, 04:27:06 pm »
I tend to use either Koolstop or Swisstop 'rubbery rectangles that insert into my slightly curved but basically rectangular holders that attach to the rest of my mechanical speed retardation devices'

I've found both brands to be excellent performers in the wet and dry, and wear levels are acceptable, there are subtle differences between the exact models though so do check whihc ones you're buying.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 16 September, 2019, 04:29:53 pm »
I'm going to be the voice of contrariness here. I've used Koolstop salmon and found them good but not amazing. I've also used Aztec and Swiss Stop. All are very good in the dry but none are really that impressive in the wet. Swiss Stop perhaps last best but also cost most. I haven't found they squeal, nor do the Aztecs.

As for the pads, blocks or shoes controversy, how about "vehicle retardation friction material"? ;)

Ed: amedias and I were sharing brain waves...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 16 September, 2019, 08:08:26 pm »
All rim brakes are shit in the wet, all of them.  It's just a matter of anticipating that when you ride, which is a lot easier if you haven't been riding something with disc brakes too recently.

Squealing is as much about the rim, the brake and the bike it's attached to as the pad material.  I've got a KoolStop all-weather pedestrian warning system on the front of my Dawes, and the identical one on the back hardly makes a sound.

« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2019, 04:02:51 pm »
Swissstop Blue were the best I tried. I've gone disc-only now, though, because:

All rim brakes are shit in the wet, all of them.

« Reply #22 on: 19 September, 2019, 07:15:41 am »
I've just given my 20 year old rims a good clean with the Mavic block; once I've tried them in the wet I'll report back....
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #23 on: 19 September, 2019, 09:09:32 am »
I like BBB TechStop (Tristop for V's), as good as Swisstop Salmon and usually to be found cheaper.

« Reply #24 on: 19 September, 2019, 06:04:01 pm »
A silly question I think but, I guess that the cartridge pad holders are not universal ie, my koolstop holders will only take koolstop pads?