Author Topic: Eclipse  (Read 1774 times)

Eclipse
« on: 20 March, 2015, 10:29:05 am »
I was fortunate to be doubly blessed this morning – my hospital appointment was clear before the eclipse and there was a partial break in the clouds at the right time and place to view the solar eclipse. On the radio they discussed the last significant eclipse seen from the UK as being 1973 (although there was a partial eclipse between 1999 and 2001) and I recall smoking a piece of glass over a candle in primary school so we could view the eclipse directly! Now, of course, this is not recommedned as the filter is not sufficient to prevent retinal damage and potential blindness, but times change!

I was as excited today as I was in 1973 and walking back to the house in the cool and dim light before the closest we got to totality was an eery feeling. The fall in temperature as the sun is covered, remmebred from the 99-01 eclipse, is more dramati at first than the dimming of the light, an das we didn’t see a total eclipse from Harrogate the light only grew dim.

Here are a couple of pictures at about maximum coverage and then as the moon started to clear the sun. The appearance is darkened by the low exposure to keep the sun visible.

Mike

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2015, 10:35:27 am »
DSC_5055 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

I've got a lot more to put into a sequence when I get time.

eclipse 2015 by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2015, 10:37:16 am »
@SM: Great shots - good atmosphere. Last one looks like Manchester in 1950.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2015, 05:42:34 pm »
Cracking photos Mike. I remember the 99 one when all the birds beginning to settle down for the night during it...very eerie then.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2015, 06:10:06 pm »
Posted on 'The Eclipse' but probably more relevant here. My choice of going right up north was right - no one here saw much.

Set off at 6:30 and drove through non-eclipse watching weather. Showers, dark clouds, wind. However, the odd, occasional patch of blue sky in the wrong place.

Got to Durness golf club car park about 40 minutes early and couldn't set up because of the rain and wind. I was the only one there, although there were some people in the clubhouse.

Then, gradually, there were patches of clearer cloud and even sky. I set up and took a few shots, before having to hide in the car again, kit rushed back in too. That was pretty much the order of the eclipse. These are a mixture of camera and lens, and camera and telescope. The solar filters I had have degraded the image a bit, and the wind played havoc with the necessary shutter speeds. Still, I think you can just make out the sun :)

It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2015, 07:16:30 pm »

:thumbsup:

Is that showing the surface features of the sun, or simply the passing clouds?!?

Makes a change from all those bananas :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles