Author Topic: Bivvying Tonight?  (Read 14020 times)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
Bivvying Tonight?
« on: 02 February, 2019, 05:32:05 pm »
Roll with the conditions, for a rare chance to see how the kit fares.

Probably walk out from home for a few miles and find a handy copse.  Should be fun ;D

I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Bivvying Tonight?
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2019, 05:41:11 pm »

Probably walk out from home for a few miles and find a handy copse.  Should be fun ;D

You’re mad! I’m only a few miles away and it’s already subzero here

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2019, 06:18:52 pm »
No the nicht - forecast to be freezing conditions up here in Fifeshire.

I do have a plan on doing some like bike and bivvying in the spring / summer, I have found a location which is just a few miles on the MTB away :-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:46:23 pm »
You'll have to change your name to Ötzi.  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:52:29 pm »
Bit too cold for me tonight. Still wearing shorts but had to put a big jumper on today.
Interested in pic's and kit list though.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:00:33 am »
I wussed out - walked the total of 30', to the top of the garden. setting up around 11:30.  Slept 'til about 6am, waking every couple hours (one Wowbagger ;D) - clear skies, pretty twinkling stars :thumbsup:

Brrrr...got distinctly cool between 3-6 where upper surfaces contacted, mainly due to the condensation freezing inside the Hunka, and starting to affect the Ember insulation - would've been better under tarp / tent, having distinct air gap, defintely wasn't as chilly on Tan Hill in the tent.

>Interested in pic's and kit list though.
Tramped the SNO down.  Plastic tarp as groundsheet, Hunka XL, Exped Synmat HL Winter LW, 9cm thick (-18c rating), S2S Ember III quilt (-11c rating).  Worn: Fulke Mountain Men Socks, Leggings (+thin Trolls from ~5am), Helly base layer, Fleece, Bobble hat.   Never needed gloves.  Laces on boots froze, despite being wrapped in bags.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2019, 07:11:22 am »

The stranger in yer garden ain't a tramp ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2019, 10:17:51 am »

The stranger in yer garden ain't a tramp ;D

I’m sticking with tramp ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:55:15 pm »
I wussed out - walked the total of 30', to the top of the garden. setting up around 11:30.  Slept 'til about 6am, waking every couple hours (one Wowbagger ;D) - clear skies, pretty twinkling stars :thumbsup:

Brrrr...got distinctly cool between 3-6 where upper surfaces contacted, mainly due to the condensation freezing inside the Hunka, and starting to affect the Ember insulation - would've been better under tarp / tent, having distinct air gap, defintely wasn't as chilly on Tan Hill in the tent.

Tramped the SNO down.  Plastic tarp as groundsheet, Hunka XL, Exped Synmat HL Winter LW, 9cm thick (-18c rating), S2S Ember III quilt (-11c rating).  Worn: Fulke Mountain Men Socks, Leggings (+thin Trolls from ~5am), Helly base layer, Fleece, Bobble hat.   Never needed gloves.  Laces on boots froze, despite being wrapped in bags.

ACB are doing a camping trip next Tuesday,  My kit is all with summer trips in mind, no way I'd want to use it in February!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2019, 09:52:31 am »
Yebbut it's to a pub...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2019, 10:47:33 am »

Well 'Ard!     
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #11 on: 20 February, 2019, 04:14:34 pm »
Found the Hunka great in wet conditions, above and below, but wont let condensation disperse from inside... Hence feeling cold by morning or wet if too warm in the night. Gone with a MSR e-bivvy that is plastic on bottom and not so on top. It fends ok in drizzle. When really wet we use a lightweight Rab tarp anyway. Not such an affordable set up as Alpkit, but having suffered a few times I did not mind shelling for a good night sleep. Not crazy enoigh to go out just yet though! 😀
What? Turn left that way?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #12 on: 21 January, 2020, 04:39:40 pm »
Happy new year bin bag dwellers.

I'm going bivvying for the first time in 2020 on Saturday - somewhere in the New Forest (shhhhh) for a bike ride on Sunday morning. Fun!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #13 on: 21 January, 2020, 09:26:16 pm »

I'm going bivvying for the first time in 2020 on Saturday - somewhere in the New Forest (shhhhh) for a bike ride on Sunday morning. Fun!
Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it went.  I hope to do some bivvying this year for the first time since I spent a night under an oilskin poncho (RAF recruit training 1979)... but I'm going to wait till the weather gets warmer :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 21 January, 2020, 10:24:24 pm »
My first bivvy dates back to over 40 years ago on the northern edges of Bleaklow. How time flies!

« Reply #15 on: 22 January, 2020, 12:48:17 pm »

Take care then, it really is astonishingly wet at the moment so mind the bogs! I've got something similar in mind sometime soon but it's easy for me as we live in the New Forest National Park. If you want you can PM me if you want contact details in case it all goes a bit Pete Tong.
Reine de la Fauche

bludger

« Reply #16 on: 22 January, 2020, 12:58:20 pm »
Cheers JBB but I won't be in the bowels of the forest, more on the margin of one of the settlements inside the park area but I appreciate the offer ;D

Ban cars.

« Reply #17 on: 22 January, 2020, 01:45:04 pm »
Cheers JBB but I won't be in the bowels of the forest, more on the margin of one of the settlements inside the park area but I appreciate the offer ;D

Hmm, well take care that your quiet spot is uncontaminated by dog (or worse human) shit. Have a great time!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #18 on: 23 January, 2020, 09:06:39 pm »
My first bivvy was in 1975 new year eve. Up on kinder in a bright orange survival bag. I woke up with snow on the bag!

bludger

« Reply #19 on: 26 January, 2020, 12:21:58 am »
Currently ensconced. Gosh this sleeping bag is warm - there's a bit of deer poo on the bag, mat (and my cycle shoes) but otherwise all going well!

Ban cars.

« Reply #20 on: 26 January, 2020, 09:50:54 am »
I slept in a churchyard once and a fox curled one off on the end of my toe.  That must have taken some balance not to have woken me up.   My world smelled of fox for the next two days.

bludger

« Reply #21 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:25:35 pm »
Worked out alright! Very temperate night time. Bit wet in the morning but I waited for it to subside a bit and then rode off. Recommended!

Some potential changes to make:

Army arctic sleeping bag might be a bit overkill but better that than be cold

Full length mat would work better than 3/4 - water did get through a bit at the bottom of the bag

Might pick somewhere further away from any road next time, including church yard. Some odd things were happening at 11pm.

Ban cars.

« Reply #22 on: 29 January, 2020, 09:45:33 pm »
Glad it worked out. It’s years since I bivvied, though I’ve been meaning to again. Can’t help but be curious about what was happening at 11 ;)

bludger

« Reply #23 on: 29 January, 2020, 10:24:33 pm »
It was a bit odd. Didn't seem like anything 'dodgy', I think it might have been some teenagers running around the graveyard taking photos of each other with the camera flash on while they were waiting for someone else to pick them up.

Anyway thankfully they didn't come across me. No other bothers.

Ban cars.

« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2020, 01:51:38 pm »
You would probably have scared the bejesus out of them. :)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain