Author Topic: aero bars for brevets, which ones?  (Read 11557 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: aero bars for brevets, which ones?
« Reply #25 on: 14 December, 2018, 11:16:39 am »
At this point I begin to wonder if there is a market for an aerodynamic hyperlight fairing for 'bikepackers'/fast tourers.

Would the benefit of the fairing outweigh the weight penalty?

Almost certainly :)  Aerodynamics really matters on all but the hilliest routes.

There's somebody on this forum who rides (drives?) a recumbent with a full fairing.  I think he said it weighs in at close to 30 kg, but he goes seriously fast – well over 30 km/h.

Would it be allowed under the rules of the race?

Probably not  :(
I suspect - I haven't checked! - that many ultra-races just specify "road legal" or similar, because to date that has worked very well; but if such devices became common-place they might well simply copy-n-paste the UCI rules to stop that sort of thing.

Devil's Advocate: If there was a high-profile RTA where a rider's use of aero-bars were found to be a contributiry factor, might the UK ban them from any public road??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 14 December, 2018, 11:18:04 am »
I like these:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/ergotec-easyliner-ii-aerobar-26382

Useful variety of hand positions possible.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #27 on: 14 December, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »
At this point I begin to wonder if there is a market for an aerodynamic hyperlight fairing for 'bikepackers'/fast tourers.

Would the benefit of the fairing outweigh the weight penalty?

Almost certainly :)  Aerodynamics really matters on all but the hilliest routes.

There's somebody on this forum who rides (drives?) a recumbent with a full fairing.  I think he said it weighs in at close to 30 kg, but he goes seriously fast – well over 30 km/h.

Would it be allowed under the rules of the race?

Probably not  :(

Trans Am was won by a velomobile rider this year
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

hillbilly

« Reply #28 on: 14 December, 2018, 01:56:59 pm »
Personally I like the mint ones.  The orange one is a bit chemical tasting and the chocolate ones are a bit samey (Wispa is better).

HTH.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #29 on: 14 December, 2018, 04:08:56 pm »
Not interested in a bike fit, but thank you

You might be once you get your bars on - the position between having them fitted and not fitted is a compromise and you might benefit from a fit once you've been using them for a while... Bike geo, seat post and saddle position all play a part as well, I found the fit is a close thing too... I had my bars set up initially on one bike and was able to sit in them for hours and cruise at 25kph - I could never quite replicate that on the bike for LEL when I transferred them over.

I can recommend the adjustability of the PD 3T+ bars enough, height, angle and pads - but getting some of the planet X ones or second hand to try them first to see how you get on with them is a great idea :)

Here's the t3+ bars in LEL mode - similar arrangement to QG's layout but with a crossbar made of 15mm conduit for the Garmin and light to hang off.

Close up of the setup:

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #30 on: 14 December, 2018, 04:11:05 pm »
Mint are my favourite. But I'd go for a Snickers before orange

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 19 December, 2018, 11:02:19 am »
are these what I was looking for?

https://www.bikester.co.uk/profile-design-v2-aero-bars-aluminium-incl-zb-flip-up-bracket-f35tt-armrest-black-485127.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrs7bztyr3wIVaaftCh1E_g9ZEAEYASABEgJ2_fD_BwE&_cid=21_1_-1__160_485127_272341211494_&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIrs7bztyr3wIVaaftCh1E_g9ZEAEYASABEgJ2_fD_BwE:G:s

Be aware that those bars do not allow for the arm rest bit to move anywhere other than directly over the handlebar. This means you have considerably less flexibility. This may make it harder to get a position that doesn't start to really hurt and cause harm after a few hours.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #33 on: 19 December, 2018, 12:06:50 pm »

https://www.bikester.co.uk/profile-design-v2-aero-bars-aluminium-incl-zb-flip-up-bracket-f35tt-armrest-black-485127.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrs7bztyr3wIVaaftCh1E_g9ZEAEYASABEgJ2_fD_BwE&_cid=21_1_-1__160_485127_272341211494_&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIrs7bztyr3wIVaaftCh1E_g9ZEAEYASABEgJ2_fD_BwE:G:s

Be aware that those bars do not allow for the arm rest bit to move anywhere other than directly over the handlebar. This means you have considerably less flexibility. This may make it harder to get a position that doesn't start to really hurt and cause harm after a few hours.

J

I have only ever had these bars, so can't compare to others in terms of the abovementioned flexibility issue. However they have been great for me. Used them on multiday rides and wouldn't be without now for really long rides

whosatthewheel

« Reply #34 on: 19 December, 2018, 12:11:40 pm »

J

I have only ever had these bars, so can't compare to others in terms of the abovementioned flexibility issue. However they have been great for me. Used them on multiday rides and wouldn't be without now for really long rides

I am not overly concerned about the position of the pads not being ideal. I plan to use these for a few minutes at a time to relieve pressure on my ulnar nerve, rather than staying on the bars for hours. My priority is to be able to fit those AND a front light, so either I build a bridge as others have done, or I get something folding which I can lift out of the way when I want to clip the front light.

I am unlikely to need the light for more than 2-3 hours, as I generally finish a spring/summer 400 by midnight and probably don't want to be on the tribars at night when visibility is poor anyway

whosatthewheel

« Reply #35 on: 19 December, 2018, 01:12:07 pm »
right... feeling the Christmas cheer, I have taken the plunge and spent twice as much as I intended... on the plus side I saved 3 pounds on an inner tube for the Brompton... first puncture this morning  ::-)

Bikester seems to be the only trader for the product, so happy to snatch it from Germany before we switch to WTO rules and 3 months mail order delivery times

« Reply #36 on: 19 December, 2018, 03:01:07 pm »

Wispa bars beat aero bars any day...    ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

whosatthewheel

« Reply #37 on: 19 December, 2018, 03:39:51 pm »

Wispa bars beat aero bars any day...    ;)

It gets a bit repetitive... we got the joke the first time round (which was about ten years ago)  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #38 on: 19 December, 2018, 04:23:05 pm »
I think it will keep bubbling up.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #39 on: 19 December, 2018, 04:30:10 pm »
I think it will keep bubbling up.

Naughty!

I once tried the Tiramisu experience on Audax rides - didn't really get on with them...

(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #40 on: 21 December, 2018, 10:58:04 am »

I can't make sense of that. Don't your knees hit the pads when riding out of the saddle?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #41 on: 21 December, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »
I can't make sense of that. Don't your knees hit the pads when riding out of the saddle?

They haven't yet...

I don't tend to ride out the saddle much. I'll let you know if it happens...

J
--

hillbilly

« Reply #42 on: 21 December, 2018, 05:04:44 pm »
Those are perhaps the most unaero aerobars I have seen in a while.  Do you complete ensure maximum wind resistance by also having a holder like this to keep the rain off?

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2018/01/12/cycling-umbrella-will-help-keep-dry-rainy-day/

:)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #43 on: 21 December, 2018, 05:10:31 pm »
The bars are as much for comfort as they are for aeroness in my experience.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 21 December, 2018, 05:12:02 pm »
Those are perhaps the most unaero aerobars I have seen in a while.  Do you complete ensure maximum wind resistance by also having a holder like this to keep the rain off?

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2018/01/12/cycling-umbrella-will-help-keep-dry-rainy-day/

:)

No, I'm not Dutch...

Side on the bike doesn't look so unaerodynamic.

It's still more aero than panniers, and ultimately it's the human on the bike's change in position that gets you the most aero benefits.

J
--

whosatthewheel

« Reply #45 on: 22 December, 2018, 01:29:57 pm »
fitted them yesterday and did 100 km this morning. The folding pads rattle a bit on uneven roads when not in use, but I can live with that for a few rides per year. The main box to tick was being able to have the front light on the bars, an arrangement which works fine.

Getting used to the position, it's actually quite fast... might get addicted to the extra speed  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 22 December, 2018, 02:29:42 pm »
fitted them yesterday and did 100 km this morning. The folding pads rattle a bit on uneven roads when not in use, but I can live with that for a few rides per year. The main box to tick was being able to have the front light on the bars, an arrangement which works fine.

Getting used to the position, it's actually quite fast... might get addicted to the extra speed  ;D

If you can, get someone to take a photo of your on the aero bars, side on. Post said photo.

Told you it was fast. Now, see how you get on after 8 hours there :p

J
--

« Reply #47 on: 30 December, 2018, 11:02:44 am »
This thread got me thinking, so I ordered a pair of these:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263994109021

They look pretty much identical to the variously-branded ones mentioned above but are only £11 inc. P&P!

Just fitted on the Van Nic audax and been out for a test ride in slightly windy conditions.  They felt fantastic straight off and I was able to hold position for 15+ minute stretches without issue.

The most complicated bit was finding out where to mount the front lights.  After much experimentation I bodged together an out-front Go-Pro mount and a Minoura space bar and the two lights now hang nicely below the tri bars, so I haven't even really lost any handlebar space for hands - they fit well under the raised pads.

Depending how I get on with these I'll consider getting the 3T carbon version for the Cervelo.
The sound of one pannier flapping

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #48 on: 30 December, 2018, 06:41:39 pm »
Cracking find - have to say, they look identical. I reckon the factory has printed a load more out, as Planet X got some more back in stock the other week.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.