Author Topic: Wild, natural trail help  (Read 6281 times)

Wild, natural trail help
« on: 19 July, 2014, 06:47:08 pm »
I'm looking for a link to routes in West Scotland and Wales.

I'd like them to be natural routes, NOT trail centres. They'll be full of kids for the next 2 months and I don't like the artificial feel to the trails. I like it to be a bit wild! Don't mind the distance or difficulty, I plan to do some tenting along them anyway.

Anyone know any route guides ???
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Re: Wild, natural trail help
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2014, 07:10:59 pm »
I've just been re-reading Pete Jones/Trackstermans Scottish Spring journal. Any good? - http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=4867&v=Fi

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2014, 07:14:52 pm »
Your starter for 10 in Scotland: http://www.highlandtrail.net/ - the Assynt part of the route is about as wild and natural as it gets, although it's all good.

ETA: and for Wales: http://www.mbr.co.uk/routes/wales/sarn-helen-mtb-%E2%80%94-in-eight-easy-gps-files/

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2014, 07:19:54 pm »
Thanks chaps :thumbsup:

I've got a week free in August*, so I'm trying to plan a nice wild camping trip. They'll give me something to start my ride.

* I know I'll be eaten alive
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2014, 07:23:08 pm »
Torridon and Assynt look great :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2014, 08:34:18 pm »
The locals tend to keep natural trails to themselves and you won't find many of the good ones on websites...

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2014, 08:29:55 am »
The above routes are wild enough. I haven't got to do any secret handshakes or contact secret squirrel to ride them :thumbsup:

It advises not to ride them in August though, it's deer stalking season!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2014, 10:31:18 am »
It advises not to ride them in August though, it's deer stalking season!
The main stag stalking season is July to October, though August/September is probably busiest.
Though it shouldn't affect you too much for mountain biking, unless you are going over the tops of mountains. There's plenty of wild trails through the glens, where access shouldn't be an issue. Or you can contact the estate and ask where they will be stalking. This website is useful, has details for some estates: http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/outdoors-responsibly/access-code-and-advice/scottish-hills/heading-scottish-hills/

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2014, 11:05:09 am »
 :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2014, 06:08:12 pm »
You might find this website useful: http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/

Join them if you can - they do good work and are a refreshing change to the money-grabbing attitude of the YHA.

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2014, 06:14:43 pm »
I was thinking about bothies, it'll save me lugging the tent around.

« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2014, 06:10:39 pm »
My 'week' looks like its only going to be four days long >:(

I was planning on Torridon but the extra traveling will eat into my time. I may try to head out to Kinlochleven and try a couple of routes like Ciaran and the Nevis loop. There's lots of other routes to take from there, should be okay if I keep off the WHW.

« Reply #12 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:27:06 pm »
Well, I cancelled the trip.

I should've gone last night and drove through the night but the weather was terrible, and was forecast to be rubbish too. I couldn't be bothered to drive all that way for four days in crap weather. The webcams show heavy rain and gales today, glad I'm not bivvying in it.

I'll see what it's like tomorrow and head for the Berwyns. I can ride there and back, so no huge drive to endure.

I'll see what time I can get off in September. That won't happen either, I'm dreaming, work is crazy in September.