Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463634 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2675 on: 04 April, 2019, 10:28:07 pm »
Also anyone who sneers about bottle feeding can get in the sea, if the small person is fed, clean, properly looked after and loved everything else is snobbery. My sister got flak for not breastfeeding, but bottle feeding was the *best* thing for her mental health and meant my BiL could do more babyfeeding work (which I'm always up for!).

This^^^ in spades.

I would add 'gaining weight/thriving' to The Kim's list.
My daughter was advised to stop breast feeding. It may be "best for baby" but she was told it was inhibiting her recovery (two children, first involved a 4th degree tear, 2nd a planned caesarian).

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2676 on: 05 April, 2019, 06:27:33 am »
Don't want to rant. Monday ended up at A&E for an ECG. I've been feeling a bit banjaxed for a couple of weeks, caught myself falling asleep in the shop more than once. As you're probably aware I bought a very heavy motorcycle recently and the effort required to reverse it into a shed that's only just wide enough... Well, I put it down to that.

Last week on a few occasions I was breathless and tight chested.  On Monday I had a routine appt at the docs for a health check, turned up & the practice nurse took my pulse - three times - then failed to extract blood for samples from both arms and finally told me to foxtrot oscar to A&E.

The upshot is I'm now awaiting an appt with cardiology. Meanwhile I have 3 kinds of drugs to take & a GTN spray...

Just seen this, hopefully nothing serious, and easily dealt with
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2677 on: 05 April, 2019, 11:06:04 am »
Cheers, Dave. I'm rather hoping that next week's cardiology appt goes something along the lines of 'you're a lazy, fat git, now get some exercise and lose some weight before we have to think about measuring you for a box!'

I'd take that...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Chris S

« Reply #2678 on: 05 April, 2019, 05:57:01 pm »
Or as my GP once put it: "I hope you're not making too many plans for your retirement."  ::-)

« Reply #2679 on: 05 April, 2019, 08:11:07 pm »
Take it easy Tors.  Hope they sort you out asap.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2680 on: 06 April, 2019, 09:00:35 am »
Or as my GP once put it: "I hope you're not making too many plans for your retirement."  ::-)

My mum's GP once told her (she was more than a bit dumpy) "why do you see so many little thin old ladies? All the fat ones are dead!" She made it to 87 all the same.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2681 on: 06 April, 2019, 09:19:31 am »

My mum's GP once told her (she was more than a bit dumpy) "why do you see so many little thin old ladies? All the fat ones are dead!" She made it to 87 all the same.

When I was six, I was out shopping in Woolworths with my grandmother. She stepped on the weighing scales at the back of the shop and put her 3d coin in the slot. The pointer swung to 14 stone (89kg). Said grandmother died 20 years ago, at 101.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2682 on: 06 April, 2019, 09:21:05 am »
:thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2683 on: 06 April, 2019, 11:56:26 am »

When I was six, I was out shopping in Woolworths with my grandmother. She stepped on the weighing scales at the back of the shop and put her 3d coin in the slot. The pointer swung to 14 stone (89kg). Said grandmother died 20 years ago, at 101.
What is this telling us?

Your posts generally contain advice backed by years of experience (and medical knowledge); I'm not clear what to take from this one  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2684 on: 06 April, 2019, 12:06:42 pm »

What is this telling us?

Your posts generally contain advice backed by years of experience (and medical knowledge); I'm not clear what to take from this one  :-\

Not all fat people head for an early grave.
No more.
No less.

Not all smokers die young either...

« Reply #2685 on: 10 April, 2019, 01:46:40 pm »
Oh well, what are my chances of living above average age if I take up smoking for the first time at 45? That versus living with a spare tyre around the middle? I heard smoking helps you lose weight.

Just an idea here, case studies of one or two cases doesn't make sense to me. I think I'll keep living without ciggies and excessive alcohol and lose my midriff a little too. No harm trying to increase your odds right?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2686 on: 10 April, 2019, 02:05:34 pm »
Right. You can't change your genes.
When I was a young student, they told me smoking was MUCH worse than obesity for shortening life expectancy but folk were generally much slimmer 40 years ago and even fat people generally had much less weight around the waist.

Probably best keep smoke-free, active and slim-waisted...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2687 on: 10 April, 2019, 02:21:24 pm »
40 years ago the food companies and agrobiz hadn't yet realized that they could double their sales volumes by encouraging gluttony, and the drug companies hadn't realized how much of a killing they could make out of diabetics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2688 on: 10 April, 2019, 02:29:19 pm »
50 years ago I was amazed how the characters in the Enid Blyton books I read seemed to be eating all the time when we really only ate at mealtimes. We were slim but close to average weight for our ages..

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2689 on: 10 April, 2019, 03:33:39 pm »
The great thing about being a fictional character is limited consequences, except where required to drive the plot.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2690 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:12:36 pm »
Maybe the kids Blyton knew were always eating but were very active...
Kids are generally less active than we were.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2691 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:34:23 pm »

You missed the later additions to the series -
Five Create A Viral Internet Meme
Five Break Their CoD Killstreak Record
Five Binge-watch Game Of Thrones All Weekend
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2692 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:50:32 pm »
Which was the one where they go to the haunted MySpace page, but it turns out that it's being used to smuggle bitcoin...?

Phil W

« Reply #2693 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:40:28 pm »

You missed the later additions to the series -
Five Create A Viral Internet Meme
Five Break Their CoD Killstreak Record
Five Binge-watch Game Of Thrones All Weekend

Five have plenty of cake
Five go down to the McDonalds
Five on a couch together
Five get into a fight

« Reply #2694 on: 11 April, 2019, 10:42:26 am »
Really struggling with cold hands (and feet), even when exercising.

Doesn't matter if it is kayaking or cycling, my hands (and to a lesser extent, feet), lose circulation and get cold. Hands particularly go dead white and numb.

Never used to have issues, I had hands like little radiators in winter.

My BP is lowish these days (on waking it is typically 93-5/6-something).

I can be paddling, sweating, head warm and body boiling; my hands will be dead white and absolutely numb.
Get warm again, nice warm pink fingers, put gloves on, set off cycling; 15min later half my fingers are numb. Toes ditto.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2695 on: 11 April, 2019, 11:26:53 am »
What medicines (if any) do you take?

I am no great expert on Raynaud's phenomenon, though have mild features.

« Reply #2696 on: 11 April, 2019, 11:39:18 am »
Topiramate. One side effect is 'numb extremities', but no details beyond that, so it could be referring to a neurological effect or effect on blood supply.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

essexian

« Reply #2697 on: 20 April, 2019, 07:45:36 am »
Sorry to be crude but....snot. Loads of the stuff the day after swimming.

I assume that its an allergic reaction to something in the water (its worse at one pool of the four I use but I get it to some degree at all four) but my question is, will it last? I mean, will the reaction stop or would meds (and if so what type) help.

While its not painful or anything, its just unpleasant.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2698 on: 09 May, 2019, 03:02:06 pm »
Just back from annual heart check-up.  Everything fine; other than the automatic BP gizmo on the stationary bike turning in values like the depth gauge in Das Boot.  Since I wasn't having a stroke or blowing a gasket then & there cardiologist sighed and said "oh well, we'll put you a BP holter on and see what happens. Oh, and might as well do the ECG one too".

So now I'm festooned in cables and tubes, hung with lumpen devices and pissed off that I have to crawl back to the medicated shit-factory tomorrow afternoon. In petulant revenge I'm tightening up my biceps every time the bloody cuff inflates and holding it until it gives up. Not allowed a shower, either. Arse.  >:( >:( :demon: >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2699 on: 10 May, 2019, 07:14:41 am »
And to add injury to insult... the BP cuff inflates "every half-hour during the day and once an hour during the night" with a noise like a young alarm clock. It woke me every hour on the hour all night, with the exception of 4 am because I was still awake from 3 am. Then it decided that I should get up at 6 am because that's when it went into daytime mode.

There's a shit-brained twat at the hospital who's going to get a flea in her ear when I take the thing back this afternoon.