Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 1239 times)

Travel Insurance
« on: 17 May, 2010, 10:15:46 pm »
Which one to go for?
Ive not booked it yet, looked on the Post Office website(who i was going to go with) and if you book it now and the volcanic ash stop your flight you cant put a claim in.
They have had it quite clear on the website. Ive looked onto Boots and Tesco website aswell and it has nothing on as clear about it.
Does anyone else know?
My GF booked the holiday in her name and paid for it(got a credit card) so does this mean that her insurance(booked when the holiday was done, before the volcano thing, just) would cover it, or no?
Hopefully it will all be sorted by then though, not going till July.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

ian

Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2010, 11:01:45 am »
Insurance will not cover you for any risk that you may reasonably have known about in advance of purchasing the cover. I think pretty much everyone knows there is an unpronounceable and labile volcano in Iceland.

In addition, their T&Cs may specify other 'acts of God' exclusions. I am not sure if this covers being smote or turned into a goat. You should read them carefully.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2010, 02:14:36 pm »
My understanding of the weasel ways of insurance companies is that they won't cover you for anything ash-related unless you bought the insurance before the ash cloud appeared (or was reported in the news). So if you bought an annual policy in february for example, they should cover ash-related things for the duration of the policy. So if your girlfriend's policy was bought before it started, she should be covered, unless it would be excluded for another reason (act of god? which one? Thor?)

Of course their first response is always to refuse payment. Take this as an opening offer, refuse it, and come back with and offer of twice what you actually want them to pay you. Treat the whole transaction like buying something from a dodgy bloke selling motheaten Turkish rugs off the back of a stolen lorry and you are right on their level.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2011, 05:26:09 pm »
Weasel in above story quote.

<<He said: "It is vitally important that members of the public who are travelling abroad act responsibly and as if they were uninsured.>>

Umm... some people would not leave their front door if uninsured. I'm sure the hapless victim did not set out to have an accident.
Shit happens.
People take out insurance to mitigate shit.
Blame shifting just shows insurance to be a costly pile of poo.

Weasels like this just rub chilli oil into wounds.

BASTARDS!