Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2499178 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #16850 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:37:03 am »
The Limehouse Tunnel was closed yesterday evening due to a fire, so there were miles and miles of stationary traffic. As a good boy, I overtake/filter on the right.

A minicab driver decides he's had enough of waiting, so pulls a swift U turn. Unfortunately he forgot to

a) Look;
b) Indicate; or
c) Think.

So now I have some impressive bruising and a slightly damaged brompton. Bah.

:( GWS Pickled Onion

Last night

The French and Belgian coaches were out in force. The ride was just over 10 minutes longer than normal, due to the weight of traffic. It was still nice though, I just chilled out and cruised along and didn't bother to put any real effort into filtering.

A woman RLJed her way past me onto Old Dover Street and I got a good view of her underwear as the sun turned her leggings see through. This happened a good few times. She was riding slower than me, but I was stopping at red lights. Back and forth, back and forth. Hello pink thong. Bye bye pink thong. Oh, hello again pink thong. She had 30 gears on that rather tasty roadbike and used just one of them ::-) She wasn't slow either, just ran out of revs at about 14mph. She stopped for a few lights, obviously pushing infront of me and the stopline each time. Inflicting her excruciatingly slow and wobbly starts on me, then I had to overtake her once she topped out. Just as I was about ready to beg her to either use her fucking gears and leave me behind, or stop behind the fucking line so I could leave her behind, she turned off. Bye bye, pink thong, and good riddance.

There was a comedy moment when I sized up the gap between a lorry and a coach. Even though the traffic was properly gridlocked at that point, I decided that it just wasn't worth going for. A couple of cyclists went for it though. I was sat there looking down the gap, waiting for traffic to move and I could see the lorry driver bobbing around in the mirror and heard him shout something accompanied by some sort of waving action.

I had no idea what was going on, but waved back at him.

A little while passes and traffic moves on and I realised that he was likely trying to tell me I was good to go for the filter. So when I passed him in the bus lane, I gave him another friendly wave and noticed the cab had 2 other passengers all laughing away too. Then I forgot all about it.

A while later, I was fannying around outside the station and saw the lorry again. Que more waving and smiling ;D

This morning

After cocking up getting out at New Cross Gate, by reading through the station :facepalm: I decided that I wasn't going to screw myself out of a longer ride, so alighted at Surrey Quays, switched platforms and caught a train back to New Cross and cycled from there!

Had a fun ride. Was passed by a chap on a nice singlespeed who was slightly faster than me. So I queued behind him at a few sets of lights. Even though his acceleration wasn't as good as mine, I hate yoyoing (as you may have noticed!). A while later, perhaps he tired, but I ended up cruising slightly faster than him, and he didn't push past at lights, so all was fine and dandy.

E&C was remarkably pleasant today - I think that having only 2 lanes working is actually an improvement over having 3. Heavier traffic = lower speeds and improved lane discipline.

Had a brown moment caused by one bellend and one monumental bellend. A black cabbie overtook me and almost instantly hit the hazards and dropped anchor. Annoying, but not a huge problem - I dodged into lane 2 slightly sooner than I was planning to. This was the exact moment that a black cab driver going in the opposite direction (in lane 1, by the way) decided to chuck a u-turn without bothering to check anything at all. He nearly managed to kill a biker in lane 2 on that side of the road, who in turn, nearly killed me by taking evasive action into my lane. She and I stopped with our front wheels about 6" apart, next to the cabbie who'd dropped anchor, looked at each other and did that strained 'holy fuck, we nearly just died' laugh. The taxi driver who had started the whole thing called both she and I a "pair of idiots" and roared off behind the cabbie who'd nearly smooshed the biker. Neither cab picked up a passenger even. Both of the drivers were just operating randomly.

Then a bus driver decided to shepherd me back into the gutter where I obviously belong, before running a red light and fucking off.

Hmm... might well push the button and get that GoPro I've been lusting over.

ETA: Aaaand one final thing. I washed my jeans last night. When I got to work this morning, I've picked up a Mystery Stain on the right thigh. Right where you hit yourself if you blow a snot rocket poorly. Except I didn't blow any snot rockets. ???
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Si_Co

« Reply #16851 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:23:37 am »
Last night rode home with friend and colleague, although his entire commute is part of mine and we both commute daily its fairly unusual for us to leave at the same time. Cue much pushing each to greater efforts, combined with a tailwind meant we were flying, average of 30kph which I was pleased with considering its through the city and I lost a good chunk due to horses at the locks.

Paid for it this morning though, knew I soon as I left the legs were pretty empty, nice to just cruise and check out some new roads in an attempt to stop wearing grooves in the road through Urmston.

« Reply #16852 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:51:40 am »

« Reply #16853 on: 23 April, 2015, 01:11:32 pm »
At a local estate T-junction having just cycled passed a school, bloke in a 90's I-always-wanted-own-a-porsche drives by (on a corner) holding and having a conversation on his mobile phone.

Bus (on A-road) couldn't be bothered to move over and give me much room even though there was no on-coming traffic.   Same reg. as a very close pass (reported) a few weeks ago...   ::-)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #16854 on: 23 April, 2015, 01:30:25 pm »
I've had a few silly drivers since my return to commuting but I try not to dwell on such stuff and don't think posting it here at the rate you guys do is helpful to my sunny disposition or to my efforts to "sell" cycling at home and work with tales of "best commute ever!" every morning.

I'm wary of reverting back to my non zen self of yesteryear.

And I need to practice my calm occasionally. This morning for example, even though I had priority I didn't actually need to take it in a situation that was marginal and open to interpretation. And I wouldn't have ended up nose to nose with WVM on a narrow bridge feeling like an idiot.

Hey Ho. Sun's come out and I'll take the gravel road home this afternoon. :-)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16855 on: 23 April, 2015, 07:42:42 pm »
Chap I chat to occasionally in the pub got doored on this evening's commute.
I've been doored, but I've never had the thing that the thought of scares me most.  He did.  The sharp top corner of the door in the Sternum.  :hand:
Bloody hell!  I always thought that would be pretty ghastly, but other than a bit of blood and what is obviously going to be some rather pretty bruising, it doesn't seem too bad.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #16856 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:03:52 pm »
Last night I got to the station car park just in time to see my train leave...

So I had to turn round and ride the rest of the way home  :thumbsup:

Where as Monday night I missed the train due to snapping my chain through raw power [reader, he fluffed a a front gear change. Ed] so it was >2 hours from desk to door.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16857 on: 24 April, 2015, 04:01:15 am »
An e-quaintance of mine got doored in USAnia once, while riding his home-built recumbent.  Chainset smacks into door, door snaps off motor-car, Bill rides over door and continues on his way.  Win.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #16858 on: 24 April, 2015, 08:10:48 am »
All the trees are green (the trees are green) and the sky is blue (and the sky is blue-hoo)
Came in on my bike as I like to do (as I like to dooo)
If I didn't tell them (if I didn't tell them) I could leave today (leave today-hey)
Cycle touring dreamin' (cycle touring dreamin') on a lovely spring day

Hopped on to my bike like I do all the time
Coming in to work seems such a crime (seems such a crime)
Sitting in an office (in an off-ice) sucks my soul away (sucks my soul away-hey)

That's how I feel this morning.

Off on holibobs tomorrow :thumbsup: Tour of Yorkshire next weekend :thumbsup: I'll be there :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Si_Co

« Reply #16859 on: 24 April, 2015, 08:27:11 am »
All the trees are green (the trees are green) and the sky is blue (and the sky is blue-hoo)
Came in on my bike as I like to do (as I like to dooo)
If I didn't tell them (if I didn't tell them) I could leave today (leave today-hey)

Hopped on to my bike like I do all the time
Coming in to work seems such a crime (seems such a crime)
Sitting in an office (in an off-ice) sucks my soul away (sucks my soul away-hey)

That's how I feel this morning.

Off on holibobs tomorrow :thumbsup: Tour of Yorkshire next weekend :thumbsup: I'll be there :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

« Reply #16860 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:05:28 am »

Brilliant - Enjoy your holiday   :thumbsup:

Commuted on the new brompton today.
Its slower, probably most noticably in being able to accelerate away from the lights so felt a bit more vulnerable there.
Comfy ride though, and being slower it felt more relaxed elsewhere.
12 km is about as long as I'd like without a break being a newbie on them

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #16861 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:15:38 am »
Very uneventful today although I did discover that my new steed is not best suited for city riding because of the toe overlap

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #16862 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:20:30 am »
Nice pootle in. Traffic was ok and the weather was nice. Last night's ride home was even better cos I took the non CS7 way home which took me past By the Horns brewery so I grabbed a couple of bottles of beer for the weekend!

Jacomus

« Reply #16863 on: 24 April, 2015, 12:41:21 pm »
Last night

Was on the road at about 2045hrs and there was still a pleasing hint of sunlight in the sky. Obviously, this fooled 8 drivers who were blithely zooming along without their lights on. One, I manged to catch in a queue and helpfully point out that her lights weren't on. Her response? "Thank you, kind knight of the road. I don't take enough pride in driving, hence my failure to switch my lights on. I shall rectify this minor problem with all haste." "It wasn't dark when I started driving, so I don't need them on." *rolls window back up* ::-)

Nearly got hit by a driver undertaking flowing traffic in lane 2, whilst on the phone (handheld), and blaring music, and without his lights on.

Got a toot and a thumbs up from a complete stranger. ??? 8)

This morning

Aside from a couple of impatient black cab drivers ensuring their brethren hold onto their reputation as bad drivers, it was a very pleasant ride indeed. I overheated slightly by the time I got to London Bridge, but wasn't too sweaty at the end of the ride.

I think that there was a bit of a tailwind going on too, which was nice. I noticed I was shifting into 3rd gear in a few places where normally I can't comfortably do so.

Lady Bertie has developed a front mudguard crack, right where the mudflap bracket is, and I can hear it making a plasticky buzz :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Pancho

« Reply #16864 on: 24 April, 2015, 01:51:43 pm »
Friday brings my first week on the new bike to a close with a total of 76 miles under the wheels. Love the bike (but my arse is still learning a new saddle!). Love the commute. Hope that I still feel as chipper when the weather turns tomorrow!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16865 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:01:40 pm »
Sounds good. Well done Panco :thumbsup:

I'm not on a bike today as I had an off site meeting like yesterday. Did manage to squeeze in a blast up Ennerdale to Black Sail Hut and back on the MTB yesterday afternoon, but I'm missing the commuting routine already. Can you get addicted to cycle commuting ???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #16866 on: 24 April, 2015, 02:43:15 pm »
Mr Angry Man threatened to 'knock my teeth out' after I'd commented about his earlier driving. I was polite, he used F a lot! He became incensed that I'd gone to the front of the queue after thanking him for his aggression so he drove after me (quickly) passed as close as possibly could the realised there was a queue of traffic in front resulting in an emergency stop then he got out of the car- now obstructing the traffic to inform me of possible changes to my dentistry. I've decided that there are too many of these lunatics out there so as long as I'm safe I'll say nothing and just count getting home safely as a result

Pancho

« Reply #16867 on: 24 April, 2015, 03:00:59 pm »
You should have knocked his teeth out first!

On average cyclists are going to win more fights than they lose. We're fitter, warmed up, and pumped with adrenaline from traffic jamming.

« Reply #16868 on: 24 April, 2015, 03:13:13 pm »
I'm 55 and astride a Pompino, he was mid-20s, his car in the middle of the road at 5pm and he was ready to 'ave a go' He will always be an angry cock but I'll settle for getting home safely

Pancho

« Reply #16869 on: 24 April, 2015, 03:51:52 pm »
In that case, I hope he tries his bullying in a twenty-something bikie who takes him up on his offer for fisticuffs.

fuzzy

« Reply #16870 on: 24 April, 2015, 05:21:40 pm »
An bicycle can make a very effective self defence tool.

I knows as I was a instructoid.

« Reply #16871 on: 24 April, 2015, 09:58:52 pm »
Another full house of commuting with over 100 commuting mile.  :thumbsup:

It only requires one day of missing the evening train and riding the whole way home to get to the 100.

Jacomus

« Reply #16872 on: 25 April, 2015, 08:09:51 pm »
Another full house of commuting with over 100 commuting mile.  :thumbsup:

It only requires one day of missing the evening train and riding the whole way home to get to the 100.

I think that deserves a hearty BOOM!!! :thumbsup:

Last night

I had a nice ride, though it was long again - such heavy traffic! Had a fellow cyclist stop and comment on how annoying it is to get stuck in proper gridlock. Made me think about it properly, I've never been bugged by it (unless I'm a passenger) - I'm just content to be on the road! Miss Emily said I was a weirdo when I told her later on ;D

Saw more useless 'drivers' failing to make space for an ambulance to get through and a few of them failing to even notice it for ages.

This afternoon

Went into the office to sort out some admin that needed doing. I was having a lovely ride until a bus 'driver' decided to use his vehicle to shepherd me into the gutter. This one wasn't even the standard issue carelessly taking a cyclist to be a stationary inanimate object, he took a couple of very deliberate bites of the cherry.

I didn't have the wherewithal to remember even the reg of the bus. The pull toward that GoPro is getting stronger, as that footage would have been sent to the police and the bus company.

Pancho

« Reply #16873 on: 25 April, 2015, 09:11:57 pm »
Not a commute but I rode into town and back for some inner tubes bringing my weekly total to 86 miles. I'd like to do 14 miles tomorrow but have no need to go anywhere so I'd have to resort to recreational riding. Terribly slippery slope that; next thing you know you're doing audaxes.

Jacomus

« Reply #16874 on: 25 April, 2015, 11:29:34 pm »
Not a commute but I rode into town and back for some inner tubes bringing my weekly total to 86 miles. I'd like to do 14 miles tomorrow but have no need to go anywhere so I'd have to resort to recreational riding. Terribly slippery slope that; next thing you know you're doing audaxes.

;D

You have a new bicycle though, and 14 miles sounds about right for a check ride  ;)