Author Topic: Steel Audax build  (Read 7972 times)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Steel Audax build
« Reply #50 on: 23 September, 2019, 02:12:00 pm »
You may be interested in the Canyon Grail 6.0, which basically looks like the endurance but fits bigger tyres and mudguards.

Aluminium frame and tiagra but it does come with DT swiss wheelset. I think it's about £1100.

Oh mate. Good call. I've kind of swerved away from Gravel bikes just because I know I will be 90% on road and I want it to still feel fairly lively. How does a gravel bike feel on a long road ride? I've never tried one.

My own bike is what I'd call a gravel-y road bike. The clearance is 32-33mm max but the geography is very relaxed and audaxy, I find it very comfortable if not exactly performance oriented. They come with wheels that normally can take 28mm tyres at the smallest and 40-50mm at the widest. They're not completely unlike cross bikes in terms of how they roll across terrain but the handling is more like an endurance road bike.

This video might help illustrate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thg9dz_snNI . As show, both are good for off roading but cross bikes are superior for nimbly getting around technical cross courses than a gravel bike. Gravel bikes are really for going in straight-ish directions.

I think gravel riding is definitely its own thing (see e.g. this list http://www.granfondoguide.com/Contents/Index/2228/top-10-toughest-gravel-grinders-out-west-for-2017 ) and not just marketing, but the idea is new to the UK.The thing is these kind of routes are a bit rare over here. You'd struggle to find a ride that's hour after hour on actual gravel roads whereas in the USA and Canada you have these literal crushed stone double-track 'fire roads' all over the place. 'Gravel riding' in the UK is basically just using a gravel bike on bridleways and hardtail MTB trails from what I've seen so far. Still fun. There is a ride called the Strada Bianche Essex which I mean to do at some point.

If you could borrow one and take it for a spin e.g. from Cycle Republic or Evans you could have a think about it.

PX have also just dropped the price on a load of frames... https://www.planetx.co.uk/news/planet-x-news/q/date/2019/09/23/massive-frame-reprice?fbclid=IwAR3dnUaTpXCsdOzCrhUrOTDrMAPGCguO3jZ7YHespp_DwmwyuJvf2jQH8_I
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #51 on: 23 September, 2019, 05:19:48 pm »

Spa tourer ?
If it's essentially a winter bike you want.
Not press fit BB
Can take 37mm with guards
And front & back luggage.
Photo up thread.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 23 September, 2019, 05:35:43 pm »

I think gravel riding is definitely its own thing (see e.g. this list http://www.granfondoguide.com/Contents/Index/2228/top-10-toughest-gravel-grinders-out-west-for-2017 ) and not just marketing, but the idea is new to the UK.The thing is these kind of routes are a bit rare over here. You'd struggle to find a ride that's hour after hour on actual gravel roads whereas in the USA and Canada you have these literal crushed stone double-track 'fire roads' all over the place. 'Gravel riding' in the UK is basically just using a gravel bike on bridleways and hardtail MTB trails from what I've seen so far. Still fun. There is a ride called the Strada Bianche Essex which I mean to do at some point.

I thought in a UK context "gravel" just meant "maintained by sustrans"

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #53 on: 23 September, 2019, 06:24:14 pm »
I have the genesis equilibrium disc 20 you referred to. I really like it and it has more or less taken over full-time from my carbon 'fast' bike. Plus points; hydraulic discs, thru-axles, decent frame, 105 groupset, comfortable shallow drops. There are some issues for you though. Maximum tyres with guards are 28s. I use grand prix 4000iis in 28. Gearing is semi-compact 52/36 with 11-28 cassette. I swapped the rear mech to get an 11-32 cassette, but you sound as though you are looking for lower than that. I've also swapped the wheels for Hunt ones with a dynamo.

« Reply #54 on: 30 September, 2019, 10:15:45 am »
Again, really useful advice from everyone. Thanks so much for that. I am getting a bit obsessed with reviews and specs, and with roughly a 1k budget, there is so much choice. I'm also now really liking the idea of the one bike fits all scope of gravel bikes / endurance bikes with good clearance.

I actually went to Spa cycles and tried the Aubisque with mechanical brakes. It was nice, but not mad on the colour. The Audax only takes 25s with mudguards and the tourer is too full on for me, plus doesn't have discs.

The Canyon Grail is out of stock and they can't say when they will be back in stock. The Endurace disc with 105 and hydraulic brakes is in stock and reduced to £1100. With the spec, it looks amazing, but doesn't take mudguards so it would be race blades (is that okay? Hmm, not sure - I really want fitted guards). The disc version takes 30s. Another option is the Rose Pro Cross Gravel with RX400. I am a little put off by the gravel specific groupset, but that's just because it's new and I have no experience or knowledge of it. It is also £1400, but the spec, again is great for the money. I don't fancy any of the single chainring options.

Then there is the Planet X London Road with Rival 22 at £900, but I think those wheels (Gipiemme Roccia Equipe 700c/29 Inch Disc Wheelset / Black / Shimano/SRAM 10/11sp) are fairly tonk ??? I would live with them for a while I imagine.

I have even considered getting the endurace and then getting a Woodrup frame with good clearance and switching all the gear next year. Then I will be closer to what I initially planned and can sell the unwanted frame. Seems a good way to get the components cheap.

I understand how insane and obsessive this all is. I think that's part of the thrill.  ???

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #55 on: 30 September, 2019, 10:35:55 am »
When I eventually downsize and move towards the Sussex coast I am thinking about a gravel bike.  The South Downs (like South Oxfordshire and chunks of Salisbury Plain) has a dearth of north-south tarmac routes, and those that do exist are usually busy with cyclists funnelled on to roads with heavy commercial vehicles and high volumes of other motorised traffic.  When these chalk hills dry out (generally from May - October) there are plenty of gravel tracks that can be used to link up routes and avoid the same old routes.  Similarly, as Selsey is my most likely retirement destination I reckon a gravel bike allows me an alternative to the B2145 on what the local council and Sustrans laughably call cycle routes.  That opens up the prospect of much longer routes than i woudl wnat to do on a mountain bike, but in conditions that for 10 - 30% of the time aren't suitable for my road machines.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)