4 (5.7%)
From home
18 (25.7%)
Outside
3 (4.3%)
Other
22 (31.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Where do you work?  (Read 7722 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Where do you work?
« Reply #50 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:19:25 pm »
Open plan office in a 1970's blockhaus in Harlow.  No plants.  Crap tea/coffee available free from crap tea/coffee machine.  Better stuff available from on-site caff, but as it is a Starmucks franchise I am obliged to blank it mightily.

Not-free full English available Fridays only, but there's a problem with the cooking ranges ATM, so tomorrow there will be no beans, MUSHROOMS or fried eggs chiz.

There is a shop in Harlow Town station (which is a trek over a couple of car parks away) where you can pay six quid for a packet of tabs and obtain stocks of those peculair-to-the-railways sandwiches which are kept fresh by being washed once a week.

I have a "lovely" view of the car park; normally there is a red Ford Ka convertible bang opposite, which reminds me of a baboon's arse.  However, today there is a Nissan pickup, which is even uglier.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #51 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:34:20 pm »
I fibbed a bit. We don't have an espresso machine. There is usually beer in the fridge, though, and it is a terribly new-media-stylee space.

For eatings, there is the whole of Borough Market. I think I might have PIE for lunch today.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #52 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »
For eatings, there is the whole of Borough Market. I think I might have PIE for lunch today.

(Iz jealous)  I worked next to Borough Market for six years...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

alan

« Reply #53 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:39:37 pm »
I don't work.

I  have been accused of that  several times over the years by senior management   ::-)

alan

« Reply #54 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:43:38 pm »
but with a brilliant canteen, and a trolley that comes round at 11am and 3pm.

Breakfast offerings: bacon, sausage, eggs (fried/scrambled) hash browns, beans, mushrooms and tomatoes.

Bacon cob: £1.10

Speciality teas including assam.

All served with smiles and banter.

I love my workplace.

Rather like working from home

« Reply #55 on: 15 May, 2008, 04:16:35 pm »
We're a small company. Our salesperson has just entered my office behind a large noisy vacuum cleaner, hoovered under my desk, and left. I suppose the noise made a 'by-your-leave' irrelevant.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #56 on: 15 May, 2008, 04:34:50 pm »
Rather like working from home

Ahh: "working from home".

Another triumph of hope over experience.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

steveB

« Reply #57 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:08:11 pm »
My office is about 7' x 5' it has 2 doors, 3 windows, a bed, aircon, sunroof and about 40' of storage space behind it. Out of the window the scenery is constantly changing from built up areas to open countryside with wildlife in abundence.
I can have the radio as loud as I want sing along without having to worry about other people.
There's a coffee machine every 20 - 30 minutes, it's just a shame there's others on the road to spoil my day 

Rich.

Your office is the same as mine, unfortunately my office and storage space went up the arse of a car on a slip, southbound M1 yesterday.  First time in twenty five years that my place of work has touched anything. :-[

ian

« Reply #58 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:24:20 pm »
There's beer in my fridge, but that's one of the perks of a home office. The downside is having to wrestle kittens during important conference calls. Actually, that might not be a downside. I do have a robotic coffee machine that wakes itself up in the morning, grinds its own beans, and ensures I have a gallon of hot coffee ready for when I finally drag myself into wakefulness. I also have a big red stapler.

When I run out of staples (fairly often, because I really like stapling things), I go to my official place of work. That's a trendy-ish office. Not found the beer yet, but they do have even better robot coffee machines and odd lighting plus a total lack of signage. And they have in-office massage. Always wanted to turn up just wearing a towel and announce that I'm ready. They also have a unisex toilet in reception which gives everyone a fright because they think they've wandered into the wrong one. We have now acquired another company with offices in Canary Wharf so I may have go check out their stationery.

I also work part of the time in the US in another office. Bad non-robotized coffee. But big sandwiches and better weather. It's a bugger to cycle all the way there though.

« Reply #59 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:05:52 pm »
Traditional office, but with a brilliant canteen, and a trolley that comes round at 11am and 3pm.

Breakfast offerings: bacon, sausage, eggs (fried/scrambled) hash browns, beans, mushrooms and tomatoes.

Bacon cob: £1.10

I wanna be a lawyer now...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse