Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 399902 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1900 on: 09 February, 2019, 08:48:20 am »
First run since mid-october, only 3.5km, and only 5:30/km, but no dramas, steady HR and no pelvis pain
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1901 on: 09 February, 2019, 05:47:54 pm »
Yay!

ElyDave

« Reply #1902 on: 10 February, 2019, 12:07:26 pm »
So, the thing I had started before my off was a slow ramp up in my weekly long run to about 13km/8miles ready to start a HM training plan in late May, with a race date of the first weekend in August.  The plan is to be on Islay and do the double of HM on Saturday and Ride of the Falling Rain on Sunday (100miles).

Now starting from further back, that's 4 months to get back to where I was which doesn't seem unreasonable.  I don't want to drop too much cycling though as I need to keep the endurance going there as well. The HM plan as most of them do is based around a weekend long run and then varying tempo and speedwork through the week.  While away with work, I'll be able to follow the plan fairly well of course, but at home I'm thinking of how to balance the two.

My thoughts are along the lines of swapping out the tempo runs for a meaningful effort on a 25km loop from my front door, and audaxes in place of long runs.  Not replacing all of them of course, more of a mix and match.  I'd like to keep up some swimming as well, if i can, perhaps in place of the interval work. 

Any contrary views/other suggestions?

« Reply #1903 on: 10 February, 2019, 10:43:16 pm »
My understanding is that running places different demands on joints and muscles than cycling, so if it were me I'd be wary of replacing too many of the long runs and finding that my legs hadn't adapted - even if my general fitness was OK. On the other hand, a lot of training plans seem to be full of recovery runs, and a bike ride sounds like a good match to those.

I've rather got the opposite problem at the moment - Mrs Dan is away a lot so my cycling is to the station and back, though I am finding time for a bit of running. I was hoping to do some longer rides this year, and am hoping that running has me fit enough to pick that up in a month or two - and that bum / saddle adaptation comes back quickly!

On that topic, I got up to 50 minutes today, although dramatic clouds meant rather more stopping for photos than I would normally do.  :-[

ElyDave

« Reply #1904 on: 11 February, 2019, 06:27:37 am »
Time on feet is,as you say, important, so no plan to replace all long runs with long rides, more trying to ensure both are represented.

« Reply #1905 on: 11 February, 2019, 12:11:41 pm »
Any contrary views/other suggestions?

I wouldn't drop/swap any of the runs. Just add the cycling as necessary, most training plans have the option of doing cross training.

4 months is easily enough time to build up to being able to finish a HM given what you're written so far (whether you'll be as fast as you wanted to be is another question, given you're coming back from injury then you just need to accept that you probably won't be).

Looking at the 16 week beginner (BUPA) marathon training plan on my desk (I'm doing a hybrid between that and an intermediate plan) it says:
* To get the most out of it, you should already be able to run at least 5km, and ideally 10km, comfortably before starting
* The first HM length or greater run is a 15 mile run at the end of week 10

so that's 5km (ideally 10km) comfortably to more than an HM in 10 weeks.

The intermediate plan (starting with being able to do 10km comfortably) has a 13 mile long run at week 6.

Have a look at some Half-Ironman training plans as that should cover what you need (HM, 90km cycle, etc) and just ignore the swimming (but do some if you can as it's all good for fitness and recovery). You'll find they have just as much running as a traditional HM plan but also throw in a load more cycling.

The gentle ramp up in distance/time on feet is important though. I'm lucky that I can get away with more than the usual suggestion of limiting it to 10% increase in time/distance a week.

I started my marathon training on Jan 7th where I got round a 5km run comfortably but would have struggled to carry on to do 10km comfortably. Yesterday was the end of a week where I did 5h47m of running including an 18km long run; although it was a bit of an outlier week as I had two long runs (Monday and six days later Sunday) as I had to move the long run from the week before a day later into this week. Legs feel quite tired today unsurprisingly, but a 1km swim and that time in cool water has helped ease them a bit.

I've got my first HM distance run on Friday (extended commute into work). Looking forward to having done that run!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1906 on: 15 February, 2019, 03:25:15 pm »
I've got my first HM distance run on Friday (extended commute into work). Looking forward to having done that run!

Ugh.

Left hip flexor started to complain at 12km but it wasn't bad enough to warrant stopping, so I ground it out as an 'easy' run in 2h20 (HRavg 15bpm lower than I usually do a HM). Hip flexor and right calf pain (from being kicked) probably from 5-a-side football the night before, don't normally do long runs the day after playing football.

Thankfully that's done. Real HM (The Big Half) in three weeks, plenty of time for recovery although that isn't my target race so I won't be pushing it for a specific time.

essexian

« Reply #1907 on: 16 February, 2019, 04:58:29 pm »
Any recommendations out there for a new treadmill

My wife's treadmill is on its last legs (its about 15 years old and has been well used) so we are looking for a new one.

Hopefully less than £400 (less than £300 would be good!), top speed 10mph or so, not that bothered about programmes etc but a wide base and a changeable slope angle would be good.  The machine would be used for an hour walk (top speed around 5mph) four or five nights a week.

Also, delivery would be good. 

Any suggestions gratefully received.

ElyDave

« Reply #1908 on: 17 February, 2019, 06:56:34 am »
Life fitness have a factory/workshop on the edge of Ely, they sometimes do returned units, not sure if they would work for you?

On my account, Friday, 5km easy, warm, windy, no dramas, but hr higher than preferred for the pace. Need to do some base building work to hr I think, rather than a pace/distance target run to time.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1909 on: 22 February, 2019, 06:08:26 pm »
The good news.  There's no stress fracture in my dodgy left foot.

The bad news.  Radiologist says its 'wear and tear'.  Stress fractures can heal, but there's not a lot you can do with wear and tear.  I guess we'll see what the podiatrist says next week.  So have now completed 4x imperial centuries on the bike this year and 4 miles running.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1910 on: 26 February, 2019, 11:03:46 pm »
Return of the intervals. Ugh.

Starting off "gently" with 5x800m at 5:15/km pace with 90s walking recovery between each.

That's quite a bit faster than my current 5k pace (I think, haven't done a parkrun for ages) so no wonder I was topping out at 182bpm.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1911 on: 28 February, 2019, 11:54:55 am »

The bad news.  Radiologist says its 'wear and tear'.  Stress fractures can heal, but there's not a lot you can do with wear and tear.  I guess we'll see what the podiatrist says next week.  So have now completed 4x imperial centuries on the bike this year and 4 miles running.

Podiatrist says there was a stress fracture, but it's healed.  The bad news is that it's healed in a way that's fused the bones in toes number 2 and 3 so that they don't flex.  So we're going for insoles, exercises, physio, in an attempt to make things better, but in the long run it will need surgery to sort the problem out, which is not difficult but will mean several months off the bike when I have it done.   >:( >:( >:(
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1912 on: 28 February, 2019, 01:30:22 pm »
but will mean several months off the bike when I have it done.   >:( >:( >:(

That's a bugger.  When I pick up running injuries which entail a lay-off (achilles, ITB) I can usually carry on cycling pretty much as usual.  Not being able to do either would be a real blow.

Having said that, you will have a very good incentive to do all the prescribed physio (and maybe a bit extra  ;)).
The sound of one pannier flapping

ElyDave

« Reply #1913 on: 28 February, 2019, 03:19:05 pm »

Podiatrist says there was a stress fracture, but it's healed.  The bad news is that it's healed in a way that's fused the bones in toes number 2 and 3 so that they don't flex.  So we're going for insoles, exercises, physio, in an attempt to make things better, but in the long run it will need surgery to sort the problem out, which is not difficult but will mean several months off the bike when I have it done.   >:( >:( >:(

This is why I've not elected for surgery on my big toe joints for bone spurs impacting on moblity, that and holes in feet being generally a last resort for diabetics however good the control is

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1914 on: 01 March, 2019, 08:15:48 am »
Its probably a good thing to get your gait checked every now and again.  It's only now the problem has been diagnosed that I've realised that I've been walking on the outside of my left foot to compensate for the injuries, and I'm having to make a conscious effort to walk normally.

If I'd been videoed or just had someone who knows their stuff watching me on a treadmill they would have probably spotted that something wasn't right and might have averted the injury.  But it is what it is and I'm looking forward to a good Super Randonneur series this year culminating in the https://sites.google.com/site/le1000dusud/home in September.  Then if things aren't working I'll have the surgery done and rest up for the winter.

Good luck all with your running seasons, will continue to follow.  I do have an entry in the Race to the Stones if anyone is interested.

« Reply #1915 on: 04 March, 2019, 01:47:11 pm »
Ran out of motivation 21km into today's 24km run. Taking 3 well out of date gels didn't help and they really were inedible (which I found out after a mouthful of the first) so in the bin they went.

Going to be a long slow trudge around The Big Half on Sunday as I doubt my legs will have completely recovered by then. Oof. Will be surprised if I can go faster than 2h15. Not that worried, I was just using it as another 21km training run so don't care about the time (or the medal).

Think I passed a Swiss Hat going the other way in Richmond park, only twigged who it was as he had just gone passed.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1916 on: 04 March, 2019, 03:48:09 pm »
Did my first running in  4 years today.
6km at 7:15/km and No stopping or walking.
Priority is getting muscles use to run again.
I'll try to run 3 times a week at ae1 and ae2 for 4 Weeks,
Before trying to increase speed .
I Can really feel my weightloss now. 😊😊

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1917 on: 05 March, 2019, 10:43:00 am »
Ran out of motivation 21km into today's 24km run. Taking 3 well out of date gels didn't help and they really were inedible (which I found out after a mouthful of the first) so in the bin they went.

Going to be a long slow trudge around The Big Half on Sunday as I doubt my legs will have completely recovered by then. Oof. Will be surprised if I can go faster than 2h15. Not that worried, I was just using it as another 21km training run so don't care about the time (or the medal).

Think I passed a Swiss Hat going the other way in Richmond park, only twigged who it was as he had just gone passed.

I found choc brioche rolls worked quite well on long runs.

« Reply #1918 on: 05 March, 2019, 11:35:55 am »

I found choc brioche rolls worked quite well on long runs.

Quite possibly but they don't hand them out during real events (got Big Half and London Marathon in the next couple of months) and I want to train on what I'll be offered during the race.

Also I can carry two or three gels in a race belt or the little pocket on my hand bottle. Carrying anything else would require a different bag (which I wouldn't be using on real events).

« Reply #1919 on: 06 March, 2019, 09:08:38 am »
Calf went ping playing 5-a-side last night, but managed to play on for another 35 minutes although it was certainly uncomfortable I didn't do any further damage.

Rode a bike to help herd the children at School running club this morning sporting a pair of lovely calf guards I had in the drawer, think I'll keep it on to help support the calf for the rest of the day.

Will take it easy for the rest of the week (no other running or football) and see if it has recovered enough for The Big Half on Sunday. Enforced taper!

« Reply #1920 on: 07 March, 2019, 08:59:39 am »
Walking on it and a bit of cycling seems to be helping ease it. That and wearing a compression calf guard pretty much 24/7. Limp almost gone and, more importantly, the tenderness when prodded on the back is a lot lot less.

Will try a gentle test 5k on it on Saturday and make up my mind about Sunday's half.

« Reply #1921 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:41:52 am »
Good luck with the taking care of it, and with the running too.

« Reply #1922 on: 09 March, 2019, 10:29:52 am »
No time to do a proper test, going to just turn up at the start on Sunday and hope for the best. I'll bail if I feel any pain.

Good news is the weather is a bit colder and windy so it'll justify wearing compression tights that should help the calf.

« Reply #1923 on: 09 March, 2019, 07:56:23 pm »
I hope it holds up for you tomorrow Greenbank.

I got to an hour today, over the nearest hill in the wind.
I’m running a 10k next week. Just checked and it’s another 100m of up and 900m of along compared to today. That feels plausible.

« Reply #1924 on: 10 March, 2019, 02:30:28 pm »
It held up thanks. No complaints from the calf. Started steady and paced it quite nicely for once. 2:16:36 in the end, not bad for me at 91kg.

Not very inspiring route but nice to run on closed roads (minus the cobbles in Wapping). That tunnel...