Author Topic: How to stop Mapsource opening when device is connected?  (Read 1706 times)

How to stop Mapsource opening when device is connected?
« on: 17 May, 2009, 09:03:59 pm »
Can't recall how I did this on my ex-computer. I prefer to open a mapping programme of choice when I connect my HCx.
Is the automatic opening of Mapsource controlled by an option within Mapsource itself? Or it is done by Gstart? The latter is supposed to ask what I want to do on connection - I can't see an option to "do nothing". I'd rather keep the Gstart as the automated opening is handy for the 305 / Garmin training centre but I'd prefer it not to do anything when I connect the Etrex.
Thanks for any info.

Re: How to stop Mapsource opening when device is connected?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:12:33 pm »
Right click Gstart in the panel and select exit. It'll ask if you want to continue having it start at windows start up, say no. That should do it.

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:23:37 pm »
Thought that might be the only way: not having Gstart running at all. I though the idea was that it would ask what you wanted to do, so that you could answer accordingly depending on what you have just connected. It seems not. Thanks delthebike.

The Mechanic

« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2009, 10:59:07 am »
No idea what I have or haven't done but my Mapsource does not start when I plug my Vista HCX in.  It does ask me if I want to use it in mass storage mode though.

« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2009, 03:47:48 pm »
If you do want Mapsource to start on connection, Gstart (available for download on the Garmin site) will do that for you, but it is not, as my query indicates, very configurable. Personally I'd rather that it opened Memory Map, if anything.

« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2009, 04:30:12 pm »
I prefer not to have an application open when a device is plugged in.

That way if I plug the device in just to charge it, or to use the USB storage for collecting/dropping .gpx files I can do without any annoyance of applications firing up.