Author Topic: Mould and condensation  (Read 438 times)

Mould and condensation
« on: 19 March, 2024, 09:54:39 am »
My house has a single story single thickness kitchen and bathroom off the back of the house. It's now part of the larger kitchen/diner as we had the doorway taken out and opened up

We have some black mould developing. Obviously it's the area of house that gets most condensation and heat differences. I did insulate between the ceiling and the roof above with rock wool. I've just looked up there and the areas of mould which are along the edges of the walls also correspond to where I didn't manage to get insulation properly into. There doesn't appear to be any water ingress, I think this is a temp difference problem. Obviously will clean the mould off but do you think doing a better job with the insulation will also help. There is a air vent on the end of the house for this part

All the windows have trickle vents

Re: Mould and condensation
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2024, 10:14:07 am »
Ventilation and dehumifier are the best weapons against mould.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2024, 10:58:34 am »
Insulation helps, but "cold bridges" can get you. Cold spots in insulation get locally colder than in uninsulated walls (because that little uninsulated bit gets to leak heat to a larger area of the outside than it did before: it's no longer competing against the insulated bits to dump its heat) and if that brings the uninsulated spot below the new dew point (indoor air is warmer after insulation so may be carrying more moisture) you get localised problems where there weren't any problems before. Similarly inside corners get a lot of outside surface opposite them and the junctions are the hardest bits to insulate.

In our previous flat, a cross-wall 1960s building with a single-block skin under wooden boards,and a barely-insulated solid concrete roof,  I spent a lot of the winters bleaching window frames and the corners of the ceiling. It was plenty draughty, too, especially after we removed most of the badly-conceived secondary glazing which was trapping moisture between itself and the windows, though that didn't really help. We just ran dehumidifiers constantly during the winter. The years with washable nappies were particularly bad.

And then we moved out to a house we could insulate and ventilate properly. It's so nice.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2024, 11:10:33 am »
I live in a semi-basement maisonette.  Dehumidifiers have been a revelation!
The sound of one pannier flapping