Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460874 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1450 on: 28 February, 2015, 08:34:28 am »
Another 223 miles on the board.  I thought Tarzan would be a little Jaded aftet Sebring but it appears not. Well on his way to Victory in this Ham'r race.

GO TARZAN!!

That's like making the claim that person wearing the yellow jersey after day 3 of the Tour de France is going to be the winner when the race gets to Paris ???

Still more than 300 days to go, Tarzan is only 700 miles up on Steve. 3 days off the bike due to an illness and it's level pegging again.

Let's wait 'til the fat lady sings before making rash claims, eh?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1451 on: 28 February, 2015, 08:50:11 am »
It is a record.

If Steve makes it through the year he will have the record, thus becoming the first person to officially ride further than TG in a year. If Kurt makes it through his year having ridden more miles than Steve then he will hold the record ten days later. If neither of them continues to pile on the miles  and they stop  and IronOx does do more than 75,056 then he will hold the record.

Or maybe none of them will and it will be there for the taking in the future.

Either way it is not a stroll. Some may wish to take the 's' off, but that doesn't really add anything.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1452 on: 28 February, 2015, 08:54:21 am »
Another 223 miles on the board.  I thought Tarzan would be a little Jaded aftet Sebring but it appears not. Well on his way to Victory in this Ham'r race.

GO TARZAN!!

That's like making the claim that the yellow jersey on day 3 of the Tour de France is going to be the victor when the race gets to Paris ???

Still more than 300 days to go, Tarzan is only 700 miles up on Steve. 3 days off the bike due to an illness and it's level pegging again.

Let's wait 'til the fat lady sings before making rash claims, eh?
I like people making predictions.

So far its about 1-all - with LWAB going for a Steve win. (I've probably missed some others.)

No need for people to get huffy about it - if you think England will win the rugger today, you're welcome to say so. it doesn't mean you're dissing their opponents. You don't have to provide scientific evidence.
They're just predictions of a sporting event's outcome.

Where is everyone else putting their Yacf/Monopoly money? Anyone give me odds on a dead-heat?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1453 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:05:35 am »
I'm not being huffy, Matt - it might be someones perception (as mentioned in another thread initiated by Basil anf his comments) - just making a comment as i think it's too early to make any judgement on who's going to go the furthest.

Edit: OK, Kurt's turned out 6 x 200 miles+ rides in the last 7 days. However, considering average mileage on day 49 he's only doing 14.5 miles/day more than Steve. On day 33 the difference was 16 miles/day - so in 16 days Steve has pulled back 1.5 miles a day - so 154 days from now  they'll both be churning out the same daily mileage and then Steve will start to do more miles in a day than Kurt.

But it doesn't work like that does it?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1454 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:11:21 am »
I'm not being huffy, Matt - it might be someones perception (as mentioned in another thread initiated by Basil's comments) - just making a comment as i think it's too early to make any judgement on who's going to go the furthest.

Quite.

« Reply #1455 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:16:12 am »
Nothing like a bit of sport....

Tortoise and hare ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #1456 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:24:15 am »
Posters are reminded to remain excellent to each other and to the Universe.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1457 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:27:42 am »
It depends which time trial. CTT bans recumbents. The UMCA doesn't, though they usually have a separate category.

It is irrelevant though, in this record, as UCMA are allowing recumbents.

However they also have separate age categories, so, like boxing, will have multiple record holders across the categories.

At the end of this bout it is likely there won't be a record holder. There will be several.

« Reply #1458 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:31:14 am »
If it is a race then Steve will undoubtedly win because he will complete his year first.  End of.   if Kurt is racing anybody it is himself as Steve is audaxing his way to the miles in a calendar year whereas Kurt is time trialling his way to miles in 365 days and will always be ten days behind.

As for the Victory, I didn't know Horatio was going for a record as well.   :P

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #1459 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:28:57 am »
Would Steve undoubtedly win (sorry - 'get the record')  if Tarzan gets to midnight 31 Dec 2015 with more miles than Steve?

Lets say Steve has done 79 999 miles by the end of the year, but Kurt has done 80 000 miles, and still with 10 days to go.

Not sure how that would be judged. I'm hypotheticationalising of course.

Go STEEEVE!

MarkA

« Reply #1460 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:30:41 am »
Yes he would.  This has been clarified.  The whole 365 days must be completed before any record is awarded.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1461 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:38:22 am »
If Steve has cycled more than 75,065 miles at the end of 31st December 2015 then he has the record. Full Stop.

What happens after that is different. Steve will have broken the record and will hold it until it is next broken. Which could be by Tarzan.

If Steve doesn't cycle more than 75,065 miles in 365 days then it is open for someone else to break and hold the record.  Which could be by Tarzan.

Ironically, the current situation works well as if they had both started at the same time and both ridden more than 75,065 miles, only one of them could break and hold the record. The other would have nothing apart from knowing that they had ridden further than the previous record.

« Reply #1462 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:45:04 am »
Let's suppose for the sake of argument that both Steve and Tarzan bag more than 76.000 miles (and IronOx less).

Steve will have:
UK record
European record
his age class record.

Tarzan will have:
US record
North-American record
his age class record

Both are winners and record holders

The UMCA allready stated that they don't recognise an overall record, only age class records. So it's up to us, the public, to declare who has the overall record.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1463 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:51:53 am »
75,065 miles has nothing to do with the UMCA record.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

macnark

« Reply #1464 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:55:01 am »
I have a history of TT and pursuit (with some success).You haven't lost the 'race' because your down with 5/6 of the event still to go. Stay calm, stick to your schedule and if needed pull the stops out closer to the finish.

Sure, recently we have see examples in the hour event that he or she who apparently is on course to a world record in the first half, is a gasping shell of an 'amost did it' by the end.

BUUUUT - these lads are not frazzling themselves, they are riding super conservatively at sub 95 AHR so I would be of a mind to assume my co-attemptee is going to finish fairly well preserved, so I'd want to minimise his lead at every opportunity, if I feel I can afford the effort to do so.

I suspect Kurt is making as big a buffer as he can, and I think Steve will respond similarly in his own good time, but I'd hope he does it soon because I am finding this all very stressful haha!

Go STEEEEEVE! (but not too much and not too little)

macnark

« Reply #1465 on: 28 February, 2015, 10:58:30 am »
Okay, thanks for the clarification about that.

Still,  we know what we'd want to see :-)

Go STEEEVE!

macnark

« Reply #1466 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:03:03 am »

This is true, but it IS the benchmark of the Tommy Godwin record, by which many supporters (and both competitors I believe) are gauging this year's efforts.

simonp

« Reply #1467 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:25:53 am »

This is true, but it IS the benchmark of the Tommy Godwin record, by which many supporters (and both competitors I believe) are gauging this year's efforts.

I think that was fungus' point. Holding the UMCA record but not beating Tommy will be less of an achievement.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1468 on: 28 February, 2015, 11:53:06 am »
UMCA notwithstanding, should Tarzan clock up mile 75,066 first then obv. he'll be the one who broke Tommy's record first.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1469 on: 28 February, 2015, 12:00:46 pm »
Technically a one year event can't be a time trial, it's a Road Ride. The 100,000 miles would be a time trial. A 'Record' is defined by how an event is recorded. The official 10 mile TT record may well have been 'beaten' in club events on a 'float night', but the record will be a CTT open event.
I'm not enthused by the mixing of upright and recumbent, but those are the rules.

What interests me most is the meeting of two cultures in supporting the riders. One culture is that of sporting success, they've seen British Cycling pick up medal after medal, Wiggo and Froome win the Tour, and they like scent of victory. Which is fine, that's what sport is about.

For dyed-in-the-wool cyclists it's a bit different. For me, the two high-points of recent years were Wiggo's joke about the raffle on the Tour podium, and the handshake at the end of the Olympic TT with Tony Martin and he and Wiggo sat on the tarmac, leaning on the crowd barriers, recovering.

The film that best illustrates this point is of the 2008 Mersey Roads 24. Steve is in it of course, and lots of members of this forum. I'm in it, handing up sponges, and Kurt's RAAM partner, Joel Sothern, features at the end.
The music will irritate Matt C, who puts in a fleeting appearance, over-dressed as usual. Heather and I also put in a stint marshalling at Espley roundabout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CLt7JjqP0

We go to the Mersey to help make it happen, not to be partial. We're part of a community which exists to provide a stage for people to explore what they can do under defined conditions. Some take it more seriously than others, some have a more appealing approach, and that's as interesting as the result. Extreme efforts reveal a lot about underlying character, but everyone gets the same chance. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1470 on: 28 February, 2015, 12:08:37 pm »
No need for people to get huffy about it - if you think England will win the rugger today, you're welcome to say so.

One would, however, open oneself to derision for getting the day wrong :P

</pedant>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1471 on: 28 February, 2015, 12:28:08 pm »
his age class record

Both are winners and record holders

The UMCA allready stated that they don't recognise an overall record, only age class records. So it's up to us, the public, to declare who has the overall record.

AFAIUI UMCA have said...

5. An overall record is not certified separately from the age category records. Obviously, if riders in two different age categories each hold a record, the overall record is the one with the most mileage, but it is not certified separately.

UMCA Records Chairman
Drew Clark

UMCA validation aside I hope Steve can get to 76066mls first.

Go Steve!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1472 on: 28 February, 2015, 02:52:41 pm »
We're not all passive spectators. Many are supporting through practical help, or through funding. There's an element of prejudice in that, that's what being a fan is about. We can build any narrative we like about how our rider is performing.

However, there shouldn't be any prejudice in how the event is policed and recorded. Everything seems above board in that regard.

Kurt's strategy of treating it as 365 12 hour rides, places more physical strain on his body than Steve's lower intensity approach. But I don't see that Steve has much slack in terms of time to be taken up, so he needs to get faster if he isn't going to encounter sleep-debt problems.

« Reply #1473 on: 28 February, 2015, 03:24:28 pm »
A lot of the interest has to come from some sort of construct. Two middle-aged men are cycling for long times, at relatively moderate speeds, on boring roads, separated by thousands of miles.

« Reply #1474 on: 28 February, 2015, 04:24:52 pm »
I've always taken the term 'time trial' to mean that riders are riding against the clock, and not each other. The concept created to get around racing on open roads being banned. They are still riding against the clock be it on a fixed distance course or a 24?