Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460773 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1600 on: 05 March, 2015, 07:31:40 pm »
Kurt won't be working much for a charity (or much else) this year if he intends to take the record.

He could ask for sponsorship - e.g. only a penny a mile...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1601 on: 05 March, 2015, 07:55:42 pm »
I may have heard it wrong, but didn't he say something about pulling his kids around on his 4 wheel trailer in the snow?

Thing is, with the best will in the world, riding your bike around for 200 miles a day, day after day, come what may, could easily wear a bit thin and start to feel a bit meaningless if you love your kids, begin to miss them and fancy spending time with them. He also does a lot for work for a local charity to help orphaned children.
As they say over there - go figure.

That was what I picked up.

If you have got other big things in your life, taking a year out just to ride every day and do nothing else makes it one hell of a lot harder. This, to me, is one of the key differences between Steve and Tarzan. Steve's life has been so geared to cycling, above everything, that what he is doing now just seems like a logical progression. That's not the impression I gain with Kurt. To me it seems to be the difference between built-in and bolted-on.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo

« Reply #1604 on: 05 March, 2015, 09:35:55 pm »
Two things jumped out at me in those two articles.

1) Kurt has lost 25lb in weight so far. I wonder if that all happened at the beginning and has stabilized. It's been suggested Steve started heavier than usual deliberately in January. Can these guys actually get enough calories in to match what they're using up, day after day?

2) Kurt is quoted as saying that he watched Steve on the first day and cycled a few miles more than him. I've seen it said in lots of places that that's Kurt's tactic, but I've not seen it said by Kurt before.

« Reply #1605 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:10:25 pm »
"Does the Nicholson schedule exist somewhere?"

I have it in fact I've done all of the rider's schedules since 1911.  Hope to publish them all soon as they are fascinating.

« Reply #1606 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:27:46 pm »
With support and wishes from his children, Kurt will do this.

Go Kurt.

"Our dad is the greatest cyclist in the World."
That's all he has to think about.

hillbilly

« Reply #1607 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:32:33 pm »

2) Kurt is quoted as saying that he watched Steve on the first day and cycled a few miles more than him. I've seen it said in lots of places that that's Kurt's tactic, but I've not seen it said by Kurt before.

I read that as "Steve showed he wasn't dicking about, so I decided to show him I wasn't either".  Rather than a comment on a general tactic.

Kurt comes across as a decent guy.  I'm enjoying following his efforts.

« Reply #1608 on: 05 March, 2015, 10:38:19 pm »

I read that as "Steve showed he wasn't dicking about, so I decided to show him I wasn't either".  Rather than a comment on a general tactic.

Kurt comes across as a decent guy.  I'm enjoying following his efforts.

Me too - I'm not complaining. If I were riding in Kurt's position, I would certainly have done more miles than Steve on Day 1. For my own state of mind, I'd want to start off feeling I was winning. I don't see doing a few miles more than Steve as some kind of underhand tactic - if Steve is going to set a record, and Kurt wants to beat it, then he has to do a few more miles than Steve - that's how you beat a distance record.

« Reply #1609 on: 06 March, 2015, 08:38:41 am »
"Does the Nicholson schedule exist somewhere?"

I have it in fact I've done all of the rider's schedules since 1911.  Hope to publish them all soon as they are fascinating.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #1610 on: 06 March, 2015, 09:10:36 am »
It will be interesting to see if diet has much effect over the year.
Kurt does appear to be eating a pretty poor selection of over processed food.
At least Steve gets home cooked food with plenty of fresh veg on a regular basis.
A very long way to go yet, I wish them both well.

LMT

« Reply #1611 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:22:32 am »
Really good to see some nice comments on FB following Kurt's video where he's on a downer.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #1612 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:46:40 am »
Really good to see some nice comments on FB following Kurt's video where he's on a downer.

Staunch supporters of the Teethgrinder we are, but that does not lend itself to dissuading the opposition.

Whilst I would like to see Steve smash the record into absolute bits, the additional interest of protagonists is to be encouraged. Not only because it makes vicarious watching more interesting, but because it may also inspire both of them as the year progresses.

Go Kurt, GO (a little bit further) Steve!

« Reply #1613 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:57:44 am »
Kudos to Kurt for putting it out there. It brings home the enormity and impact of the challenge. Of course I hope Steve trounces him, but for the right reasons.
9 miles SW of Marsh Gibbon

LMT

« Reply #1614 on: 06 March, 2015, 11:00:52 am »

Staunch supporters of the Teethgrinder we are, but that does not lend itself to dissuading the opposition.

Whilst I would like to see Steve smash the record into absolute bits, the additional interest of protagonists is to be encouraged. Not only because it makes vicarious watching more interesting, but because it may also inspire both of them as the year progresses.

Go Kurt, GO (a little bit further) Steve!

Interesting underlying tone, I was just passing a comment.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #1615 on: 06 March, 2015, 11:39:37 am »
As was I. There is no underlying tone to my comment, I have no time for such nonsense and I truly wish both riders nothing but the best of health and good fortune throughout their endeavour. I would offer the same encouragement to both riders under the cirumstances, though of course I would favour Steve solely because I have briefly ridden in his slipstream.

More that I am observing (particularly in the media) that it is an increasingly prevalent means of 'winning' not to become better than an opponent, but to encourage them to be (or be seen to be) worse than you. Clearly there will be many opportunities for me to prove this over the coming months, not least of which on the "Politics" board (if there is such an animal).

« Reply #1616 on: 06 March, 2015, 12:46:47 pm »
Yes there is such an animal -"Politics and other big issues"
but you need to learn the funny handshake to get in-go to "Office reception" for an invite.

« Reply #1617 on: 06 March, 2015, 03:11:25 pm »
re looking at his FB page - looking at those broken bars, he might do as well to stick with the bent for a while, if he's happy with it. It seems more reliable somehow.

« Reply #1618 on: 06 March, 2015, 09:34:58 pm »
The question of the day is - will Kurt leave Florida? another 30 miles following his current trajectory will git him close, but not over the border, I think.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1619 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:01:21 pm »
And if he does leave Florida, is he marching to Georgia or going to Alabama with a banjo on his knee?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1621 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:40:51 pm »
Surely:
http://youtu.be/Thls_tMuFkc

or (assuming he remembers to switch the tracker off):
http://youtu.be/v78-ftcqpNw

As for Alabama:
http://youtu.be/1Ez9v7LQrVc
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1622 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:45:26 pm »
And he's gotta cross Mississippi, Goddam!:
http://youtu.be/hBiAtwQZnHs
Getting there...

« Reply #1623 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:47:45 pm »
Of course, the Mountain Goats. Going to Georgia.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qe6DE9BXWeY

I think Macon's too far north for now, though.

« Reply #1624 on: 06 March, 2015, 10:55:00 pm »
He doesn't have to go via Mississippi - he could go through Tennessee instead. He could consider a move to Memphis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udctidi7GKI