Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460820 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #1750 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »
Well done Steve! 

<Wonders if the TG endorsed cafe is at the Swan & Castle or George and Dragon> 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1751 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:14:11 pm »
I think the George and Dragon is where Steve stopped, up to the resolution of the Spot tracker, anyway.  They have a cafe according to the website.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1752 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:32:49 pm »
The pub I stopped at in Quainton has a very good cafe attached.

I hope they get a delivery of fresh supplies before we pass through on the LOL 200 on Sunday.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1753 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:07:29 pm »
I think I've discovered why Kurt had to leave Florida. Click here and scroll to the bottom.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1754 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:33:05 pm »
Latest video shows Kurt facing some Rain.
Getting there...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1755 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:37:31 pm »
Kurt is going to help me improve my geography of the USA no end. Next up on the scheme of work is the geography of Alabama. This is a bit more of a tricky state because it's almost in 3D, tho the highest point is still less than 750 m above sea level.

The Arkansas - Mississippi border wonders away from the Mississippi River quite a bit from the river, which seems odd. However, looking more closely made me see the border passes through some oxbow lakes, so I'm guessing the current border traces the route of the Mississippi River from a time before the river was straighten. Quite fascinating from a geography geek point of view.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1756 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:42:44 pm »
Latest video shows Kurt facing some Rain.
He managed 194 according to his gps - although the video mentioned a shuttle, dunno why.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1757 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:44:50 pm »
You can actually ski in Alabama, artificial snow usually, but it's often cold enough. http://www.cloudmont.com

« Reply #1758 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:04:35 pm »
Those who have been questioning Kurts ability to ride in non-perfect conditions might note his ride yesterday had plenty of hills and rain yet  he still maintained a 19+ average. 

« Reply #1759 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:29:41 pm »
Those who have been questioning Kurts ability to ride in non-perfect conditions might note his ride yesterday had plenty of hills and rain yet  he still maintained a 19+ average.

Not bad for a 200lb 51 year old man...

Chris S

« Reply #1760 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:37:05 pm »
Here we are, 30% into March, and these guys are churning it out in their respective turfs, each in their own way. Incredible.

Obviously I have a soft spot for Steve - he's an AUK. But I kinda like Tarzan too.

The better athlete, with the better plan, will out. It's just the best show. Better than any telly you can buy  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #1761 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:41:33 pm »

Being a Brit, I support Steve, not just because I am a Brit but because of his interest, dreams and endeavours he's set this whole thing in motion. And also because I am a Brit  :)

But being a 56 yr old, I feel, for obvious reasons, a lot closer to Kurt than I do Steve. What's he's doing as a 50 yr old should be in inspiration to us all older farts, not because we want to cycle 200miles a day, because I most definitely do not, but because, if you want to do something, age should never be the ultimate inhibiting factor. Age is, by it's reality, inhibiting, but it should never be a reason never to have a crack at things. Kurt brings a lot of that to the party.
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1762 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:50:56 pm »
Kurt is going to help me improve my geography of the USA no end. Next up on the scheme of work is the geography of Alabama. This is a bit more of a tricky state because it's almost in 3D, tho the highest point is still less than 750 m above sea level.

The Arkansas - Mississippi border wonders away from the Mississippi River quite a bit from the river, which seems odd. However, looking more closely made me see the border passes through some oxbow lakes, so I'm guessing the current border traces the route of the Mississippi River from a time before the river was straighten. Quite fascinating from a geography geek point of view.

Found myself looking at state lines in that area on the map while reading the novels of Greg Iles; there are a number of little bits of Louisiana east of the river and likewise of Mississippi on the west.  It seems that, before the White Man started faffing with the course of the Mississippi, tracing its headwaters back to the furthest point up the Missouri river side of things gave a longer river than either the Nile or the Amazon.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1763 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:06:56 pm »

I've never questioned Kurt's ability but I do question your idea of what constitutes "plenty of hills" - 1,901m of ascent over 313km really is not a lot of climbing. More rolling than Florida for sure but far from hilly.

The amazing thing is that Steve managed to do even less climbing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1764 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:20:11 pm »
Kurt ain't no ordinary bus shelter man. He doesn't do them in a hurry. As he said himself "I don't do sleep dep".
Whereas Steve's middle name is 'sleep dep'. Kurt is more of a time trialist, and, on average, a faster cyclist than Steve.
But he don't do sleep dep, and so will always be looking to crack out is miles in good time...and by implication, good conditions too, because the two go together. Conditions are extremely important to both of them, but I get the feeling they're more important to Kurt, mainly because, he's not looking to do the bus shelter thing, at least not in a hurry! The question is, how far can Steve go into sleep dep? It's going to be a huge ask, looking at his schedule beggars belief. Staying with hosts is going to seem more more like a quick F1 pit stop with the passing of each and every week.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1765 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:25:22 am »
Headwinds, rain and a broken brake cable: 176miles. I think that proves
 your point
<i>Marmite slave</i>

red marley

« Reply #1766 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:39:36 am »
I make it 187 miles for the day - he had a vehicle transfer to Arkansas and put in late day 30 miler after his main ride.

« Reply #1767 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:43:33 am »
I'm going by his garmin uploads to Facebook.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1768 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:53:50 am »
I make it 187 miles for the day - he had a vehicle transfer to Arkansas and put in late day 30 miler after his main ride.
186.7, according to the official spreadsheet: 152.6+34.1.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1769 on: 12 March, 2015, 07:08:43 am »

A mere youngster.

srw

« Reply #1770 on: 12 March, 2015, 07:31:12 am »
The question is, how far can Steve go into sleep dep? It's going to be a huge ask, looking at his schedule beggars belief. Staying with hosts is going to seem more more like a quick F1 pit stop with the passing of each and every week.
The details are buried in the mists of another, defunct, forum, but my memory is a very long way indeed.

IIRC, when he did his 408 audax points in a year (which, allowing for over distance, translates as about 45,000km, or 900km per week) he frequently did three overnight rides per week. He was working full time in a warehouse - a physically active job - and made up the miles by doing a couple of 200km overnighters during the week, and a third, properly long ride at the weekend. All of that was done without any kind of home or admin support of the sort he's getting now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1771 on: 12 March, 2015, 07:31:59 am »

A mere youngster.
And a lightweight.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1772 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:19:01 am »
This does not add up up.

His own page says 142.1 plus 34.02. Alicia Snyder called it ".. 170miles plus". His Strava activity has a weird bit in the middle.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1773 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:31:56 am »
This does not add up up.

His own page says 142.1 plus 34.02. Alicia Snyder called it ".. 170miles plus". His Strava activity has a weird bit in the middle.

I see what you mean.  Strava for Kurt's first 11th March ride shows a total of 152.6, but with an odd ~10 mile jump from 62 to 72 miles.  The track on Garmin Connect has the same 10 mile teleport, but doesn't include it in the total, so it reads 142.1.

We'll have to wait and see which total the UMCA decide to use.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1774 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:37:19 am »
I don't understand why Kurt seems to still have so many technological issues.   Steve has non as far as I can tell.

What is Kurt doing, right or wrong to make this happen?