Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460835 times)

red marley

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2500 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:54:34 am »
Kurt has been able to move between three bases (Florida, Arkansas, Wisconsin) over the year so he does at least have some variety. I imagine the strain of doing the same long rides day after day must be considerable, so I can see why Steve might introduce the M24 and PBP into his year even if not optimal for the OYTT. I also suspect he might have his eye on eventually holding the record for the lifetime number of Mersey 24s and PBPs.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2501 on: 27 August, 2015, 12:13:47 pm »
I also suspect he might have his eye on eventually holding the record for the lifetime number of Mersey 24s and PBPs.

You are probably correct.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Martin

« Reply #2502 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:25:07 pm »
Bahh  :( I've become a Facebook infidel can't view his page any more

must....resist......

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2503 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:46:24 pm »

must....resist......

The more Zuckerperson makes it difficult to look in from the outside, the less I want to join up.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2504 on: 28 August, 2015, 02:31:54 am »
According to his Facebook page "Not feeling it anymore - sick and tired so slept in then did a tourist ride with alicia and ended early. Will try again tomorrow or maybe not."

73 miles done.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2505 on: 28 August, 2015, 04:53:53 am »

must....resist......

The more Zuckerperson makes it difficult to look in from the outside, the less I want to join up.

I wonder how many of their claimed 1.5bn users are mysteriously named "Lance Myboyle" or some such, if people signed up with silly details just so they could follow something of interest that the evil empire decided was for members only.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #2506 on: 28 August, 2015, 05:51:42 am »
I wonder how many of their claimed 1.5bn users are mysteriously named "Lance Myboyle" or some such,

Facebook has a billion users in a single day, says Mark Zuckerberg

I imagine there is some double counting in there, with any FB add on any page added into the mix, but - wow!

« Reply #2507 on: 28 August, 2015, 09:14:02 am »
Zephoria have some statistics about Facebook.

The missing statistic is the percentage of Babyboomers who are still looking for the button shaped like a ‘V’ sign.

hillbilly

« Reply #2508 on: 28 August, 2015, 09:21:47 am »
Erm, whilst this is all very interesting, it has chuff all to do with whether Kurt will overcome his melancholy today.  I hope he lifts himself up, or that his support lifts him, sooner rather than later.  That buffer he has will soon evaporate if he mopes around his people carrier for too long.

red marley

« Reply #2509 on: 28 August, 2015, 09:32:35 am »
Again, I may be being stupid/unobservant, but I couldn't see any reference to Kurt's comment on Facebook as referred to by Psychler. Perhaps he deleted it? Also, the Strava link for his 74 miles was for 4 hours in the morning, but the trackleaders site at the time of writing has his last log at 9pm, so perhaps we will get a second Strava ride posted when he wakes up today?

If not, it is another example of the magnitude of the challenge. One day of "only" 74 miles wipes out all the August progress he has made in climbing over and above Tommy's 206mpd pace.

« Reply #2510 on: 28 August, 2015, 09:58:24 am »
Ongoing best wishes Kurt. Including many congrats, also ongoing!

simonp

« Reply #2511 on: 28 August, 2015, 10:37:26 am »
It's on his personal FB as opposed to the Tarzan page. Seems to be public as I've not friended him.

red marley

« Reply #2512 on: 28 August, 2015, 10:55:28 am »
Assuming you mean this one  - https://www.facebook.com/Metarzan I think it is out of bounds to us non-FB people (I just get his front page without any substantial content).

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2513 on: 28 August, 2015, 11:06:03 am »
Yes, that's the one. Only one ride uploaded (three times - so I guess he's using three Garmins). No answer to the 40+ comments urging him on. I hope all is well.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2514 on: 28 August, 2015, 03:55:01 pm »
53 miles logged already so hopefully the touring day has restored his mojo a bit.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2515 on: 29 August, 2015, 10:18:54 am »
Yes, I don't think that there is much to be gained by mixing organised events into the plans.
Steve didn't add any real mileage by doing PBP, and the days around the Mersey Roads were rather ordinary (by his standard).  Of course, Steve will have enjoyed the change in routine and the chance to ride in company for a change.

I talked to Steve while riding half a stage with him at PBP. THe change of routine and riding with others indeed played a major factor in his decision. It's a boost for the mental side of the challenge.

« Reply #2516 on: 29 August, 2015, 04:35:59 pm »
Looks like Kurt's heading home!  He's taking a southwards route towards Arkansas.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2517 on: 29 August, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »
Yes he is - Alicia needs to see her dentist.

« Reply #2518 on: 29 August, 2015, 05:58:20 pm »
I suppose with a two-person team the risk factors increase - the support can get ill as well!
The sound of one pannier flapping

red marley

« Reply #2519 on: 02 September, 2015, 12:16:49 pm »
A major accumulation of small problems led to a challenging day for Kurt and Alicia yesterday. From his Facebook page...

1st garmin marked by detours. The rest of the day would be worse. National Burn Your Trash Day in northeast arkansas added more smoke to an already hot and hazy day. P2 broke shifter cable - everything need to be moved to the giant. Giant hadn't been ridden for a while so obviously it had a flat rear tire that had to be changed before I could start. Giant's rear derailyer went into crash mode when I worked on the tire so I had to reset it. Finally I'm cruising along on some great roads with Giant riding great. Get to Gas station for next hop with some fried orka - things are looking up as we drive toward LR. Around Cabot things take another turn. A driver pulls up along side to tell me that a bike is dragging. Envie rear Rim destroyed (Can anyone help with that). I ride into little rock from Jacksonville and head into the house. About 2 miles from the house city of L.R. has decided to fuck up so my roads in the neighbor. I hit lip of ground payment and break the handle bars on the giant. That is 3 bikes out of commission so when I get home I have to start building the titanium bike frame up. As I'm doing this I go to load my garmin for the day but alas my computer has decide it going to crash too. So this morning I'm on my old computer getting ready to ride a bike that is opitimized for being on the comuputrainer. Alicia Snyder will be see a lot of bike shops today. We are looking for a new or used 4 bike rack to replace what we currently using. Its time to go ride or at least try.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2520 on: 02 September, 2015, 12:24:34 pm »
 :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #2521 on: 02 September, 2015, 12:36:26 pm »
Good job he had all n+1 bikes.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #2522 on: 02 September, 2015, 01:36:31 pm »
From his FB feed.

Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel
1 hr ·
I asked A when is it time to admit defeat - she said "when your dead - now get on your bike and ride"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2523 on: 02 September, 2015, 02:04:22 pm »
I think he might profitably carry at least one bike inside the van, even if it's got its wheels off and handlebars turned sideways.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #2524 on: 02 September, 2015, 08:13:36 pm »

Welcome home Kurt!

Give me an S... and an H... and a I.... and a T!

Been a rough few days.

You see the advantage Steve has...? with a team who have heard of the word "maintenance"

Seriously though, that is the second time bikes have come off the back - I think an investment in a new bike rack would be profitable.

Beyond the mechanical issues - past history suggests Kurt is a competitor - he loves fighting for the no. 1 spot. But when you have the record 'in the bag,' when it is getting easier day-by-day, when there is no immediate pressure coming from Steve... the temptation to sit up a bit... well, that is just human.

Which makes you wonder what kind of bloke Tommy Godwin was? This is on a different axis to mental and physical strength. To keep going, day after day, for the sake of some number, for the hope that no one will ever match what you are doing... off the scale in terms of being a SUPER SUPER SUPER HARD SOaB!
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts