Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460860 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #2650 on: 10 October, 2015, 07:29:35 pm »
Indeed.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #2651 on: 11 October, 2015, 11:44:10 pm »
Unless it's a tracker problem, I think Kurt is having another bad day.  No movement for almost 5 hours.  Hope it's nothing serious.
The sound of one pannier flapping

red marley

« Reply #2652 on: 12 October, 2015, 06:23:27 am »
It must have been a tracker problem. 227 miles posted on Strava.

« Reply #2653 on: 12 October, 2015, 03:21:51 pm »
Saw on facebook they filled the van with the wrong fuel.

red marley

« Reply #2654 on: 12 October, 2015, 06:25:35 pm »
The Facebook post from Alicia in full...

Alicia here with just another day...

Do you ever get so mad at yourself for doing something so stupid?

Well, I am officially an idiot. Major blunder racing around in a hurry early yesterday morning. I went to the gas station to fill the Sprinter van with diesel and the pump wasn't working. Then I realized the gas station wasn't open yet. Really? I thought most gas stations were open 24 hrs. Ok, fine I drove to another one that was open. Great, I'm already running late. It was still dark out but looking in the rear view mirror I noticed the curtains were closed in the back of the van. When I stopped at the gas station, I jumped in the back to open the shades. My cell rang and I jumped to the front, grabbed my phone and hopped out of the van. It was Kurt so I answered the call and started to proceed with the pay-at-the-pump routine and started filling up with fuel. As I'm going over plans with Kurt I am horrified when I see that what I am fueling the van with is unleaded gas and not diesel. This is a diesel engine. "No! I just put in 25 dollars worth of unleaded gas in the van!!!"

In grim shock we both said it at the same time, "We're F#*@%ed."

I wanted to scream and cry, but I couldn't. My bike was on the rack, so I put what riding cloths I had on and rode back to the house to get the minivan. It was at the most five miles all uphill, dark and cold. It helped that I froze my anger and frustration off, but not the best way to start the day.

Now, the joy of getting the Spinter towed and flushed. I dread to find how much this will cost. I was beating myself up all day about it, but Kurt never got mad at me. When I asked him, "Why aren't you mad?" He said, "We all do stupid stuff, but won't admit it." Then he proceeded to tell me one of his major blunders.

Well, ok, even though it's not ok...

Either the tracker's also b0rked today, or it will be another short one (36 miles currently showing). While its obviously an inconvenience for Alicia in particular to have the van out of action, I'm not quite sure why it is so much a problem for Kurt's riding, given that he is spending most of his time riding pretty close to home (certainly by Steve standards).

« Reply #2655 on: 12 October, 2015, 06:41:53 pm »
Either the tracker's also b0rked today, or it will be another short one (36 miles currently showing).

I'm pretty sure it's the tracker if yesterday is anything to go by.  Exactly the same thing happened - just stopped dead in mid-afternoon.  It's slightly worrying for those of us who like to track their progress from time to time though!

Yeah, can't see why the van should be too big a problem whilst still at home.  As you say, inconvenient rather than attempt-threatening.

« Reply #2656 on: 12 October, 2015, 07:01:38 pm »
when your tired, you can catastrophise the little things quite easily

Martin

« Reply #2657 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:04:50 pm »
IMHO there's a notable lack of cyclists encouraging Steve on the road. Just saying.

IMBW but I thought Steve's preferred MO these days was to be able to vary the route as and when each day in order to maximise distance; having to synchronise with support riders would add extra work which may not benefit Steve...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2658 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:47:47 pm »
I get the impression that Steve prefers people not to necessarily ride with him cos he isn't always wanting to be chatty or sociable and wants to control his own speed and focus on heartrate etc. An occasional hi/wave and even accompaniment if you can keep up but generally from what I've seen of him in interviews he's a more solitary introverted kinda character than Kurt.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #2659 on: 14 October, 2015, 12:34:22 pm »
when your tired, you can catastrophise the little things quite easily

When you are tired, it is quite an accomplishment NOT to catastrophise the little things...

Perhaps all that cycling helps keep things in perspective? 
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #2660 on: 17 October, 2015, 08:57:30 pm »
Facebook update says he has a new Orbrea TT bike, courtesy of the company

:thumbsup:

« Reply #2661 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:13:51 am »
Congratulations to the newlyweds.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2662 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:19:35 am »
Clearly inspired by Laura & Rob.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2663 on: 20 October, 2015, 12:42:59 pm »
Congratulations to the newlyweds.

Getting married obviously took time away from his riding.  Does this man have any dedication to the task in hand!!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2664 on: 20 October, 2015, 12:45:13 pm »
Perhaps next time Jo publishes his 'hours on the bike' chart, he will mark the wedding slot.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #2665 on: 20 October, 2015, 03:51:01 pm »
Getting married obviously took time away from his riding.  Does this man have any dedication to the task in hand!!

He'll probably stick in a long one today to make up for it!

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2666 on: 20 October, 2015, 04:31:59 pm »

He'll probably stick in a long one today to make up for it!

Fnaar, fnaar!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

hillbilly

« Reply #2667 on: 20 October, 2015, 04:56:09 pm »

« Reply #2668 on: 20 October, 2015, 07:26:22 pm »
Perhaps next time Jo publishes his 'hours on the bike' chart, he will mark the wedding slot.

He already has done, but its a only a little hump on the chart...........       :o

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #2669 on: 20 October, 2015, 09:52:35 pm »
Congratulations to both... a year to remember!
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2670 on: 21 October, 2015, 10:36:40 am »
Tommy Godwin took time out to see the King.  Tarzan takes time out to get married.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2671 on: 21 October, 2015, 10:51:46 am »
Tommy Godwin took time out to see the King.  Tarzan takes time out to get married.
Godwin's diary entry for that day (28 October) says "Prince of Wales".  But there wasn't a Prince of Wales in 1939 between Edward VIII taking to the throne in 1936 and the birth of Prince Charles in 1948.  It is thought that TG's reference is to a pub or restaurant where he may have met with other cyclists on that date - not a royal audience!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2672 on: 22 October, 2015, 08:20:59 am »
<pendant>
Charlie didn't become Prince of Wales until 1958.
</pendant>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2673 on: 22 October, 2015, 08:39:24 am »
d'oh!  I don't remember that, you see, having only been -23 at the time.  :)
Duly noted for pub-quiz usageage.

« Reply #2674 on: 22 October, 2015, 11:33:04 pm »
Is 1958 correct? I think I remember his investiture(?) in the late 1960's, unless I dreamt it. I was only born in '58.