Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460763 times)

Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #3125 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:37:01 am »
The UMCA HAMR rules (https://ultracycling.com/sections/records/max-mileage.php) don't make it clear but I would guess that since he would have had to have nominated a start date then each day will be midnight to midnight (local time).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #3126 on: 06 January, 2016, 10:33:54 am »
Really good article from Bicycling magazine on Kurt, and the final days

http://www.bicycling.com/rides/people/kurt-searvogel-breaks-the-year-mileage-record

« Reply #3127 on: 06 January, 2016, 12:57:40 pm »
Really good article from Bicycling magazine on Kurt, and the final days

http://www.bicycling.com/rides/people/kurt-searvogel-breaks-the-year-mileage-record
Thanks for the link, thats very interesting.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #3128 on: 06 January, 2016, 01:01:40 pm »
FWIW, it's the same link that Jacamo posted 10 posts ago yesterday evening. (Albeit Jacamo's link had some extra fluff on the end of it but it's the same article.)

« Reply #3129 on: 06 January, 2016, 01:19:49 pm »
The UMCA HAMR rules (https://ultracycling.com/sections/records/max-mileage.php) don't make it clear but I would guess that since he would have had to have nominated a start date then each day will be midnight to midnight (local time).
Yeah, Rule 22 suggests that it runs until midnight.

« Reply #3130 on: 06 January, 2016, 01:38:24 pm »
Ah yes, didn't spot that bit.

Martin

« Reply #3131 on: 06 January, 2016, 04:19:10 pm »
Ah yes, didn't spot that bit.

but he'll have finished a 300k BRM by about 1600hrs (actually 1700 if they apply the 30k maximum)

I see Alicia's let him out of the playpen, heading S at a rate of knots

« Reply #3132 on: 06 January, 2016, 04:37:14 pm »
But it's the one day that he won't have to worry about getting up and riding the next day, so he can finish the 300k Brevet and happily bury himself until midnight. Or he could pack it in at any point now and still be the new record holder. That's a big test of resolve right there.

One thing that will be interesting is how he winds down from the challenge. Going from 200+ miles per day to nothing won't be good for the body, he'll need to do some miles (or some other exercise) although I don't think anyone knows exactly how much and for how long.

Martin

« Reply #3133 on: 06 January, 2016, 04:43:20 pm »
Maybe Alicia will do a runner back to Little Rock with the RV  ;)

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #3134 on: 06 January, 2016, 04:46:09 pm »
While Kurt tried to remain focused on riding, Alicia bore the brunt of the stress. Her teeth cracked from nighttime grinding, and her hair began to fall out.

The article implies that at least some of that stress emanated from here

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3135 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:00:44 pm »
While Kurt tried to remain focused on riding, Alicia bore the brunt of the stress. Her teeth cracked from nighttime grinding, and her hair began to fall out.

Justin!

What did you say to the poor woman?   :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3136 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:32:57 pm »

He was getting a lot of shit thrown at him from UK Strava users, and some here moaned about his flatter routes and long tailwind days. I found the use of a recumbent difficult to accept at the start, but soon came round.

« Reply #3137 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:50:10 pm »

He was getting a lot of shit thrown at him from UK Strava users, and some here moaned about his flatter routes and long tailwind days. I found the use of a recumbent difficult to accept at the start, but soon came round.

I came around pretty quick when I realised Steve had a hand in setting up the rules, and was happy to condone their use.

Some people are so stupid as to believe it's always been a British record from the outset.
I can't stand that anti-USA bile.
Still. All that's history now anyway.
Garry Broad

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3138 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:53:22 pm »

I came around pretty quick when I realised Steve had a hand in setting up the rules, and was happy to condone their use.

Some people are so stupid as to believe it's always been a British record from the outset.
I can't stand that anti-USA bile.
Still. All that's history now anyway.

That was one of the things that brought me round too - also the insight into his character and what he was going through by following his daily exploits on facebook.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3139 on: 06 January, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »
                        Just caught up with this...Well Done Kurt and Alicia!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3140 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:38:49 pm »
I see the hamster has escaped and has ridden to Port Charlotte.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3141 on: 06 January, 2016, 08:15:19 pm »
I found the use of a recumbent difficult to accept at the start, but soon came round.

Good to see some sense blowing into the Western Isles  ;D
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3142 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:18:55 pm »
I found the use of a recumbent difficult to accept at the start, but soon came round.

Good to see some sense blowing into the Western Isles  ;D

Stand sideways on to the wind for long enough in Stornoway and it will blow the crap out when it goes in thro' one and out thro' t'other ;D

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3143 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:13:19 pm »
I came across this article in Cycling Weekly via Twitter, which I've since retweeted, but there may be some yacf posters who should read the article as well.

Comment: Why I [Nigel Wynn] think Kurt Searvogel’s annual cycling record deserves our respect
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #3144 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:23:02 pm »
I came across this article in Cycling Weekly via Twitter, which I've since retweeted, but there may be some yacf posters who should read the article as well.

Comment: Why I [Nigel Wynn] think Kurt Searvogel’s annual cycling record deserves our respect

And there's a bit of mouth breathing going on in the comments section there too ...

Oh dear.

« Reply #3145 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:23:19 pm »
Reading the comments to that article. There really are some sad, mean spirited bastards on the Internet.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3146 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:25:30 pm »
The article is a classic case of never read the bottom half of the internet.

There are some very sad, bitter folk out there.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3147 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:29:49 pm »
To be fair it seems to be mainly one single "mean spirited bastard", but that's one too many.  They can grumble all they like - no-one who's followed the challenge can deny Kurt's achievement.
The sound of one pannier flapping

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #3148 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:38:24 pm »

It is remarkable that someone can say 200+ miles a day don't count because he rode most of it downhill with a tailwind. Of course that makes it easier but I'd like to see the trolls posting that try and do it even once, let alone 365 times.

I remember the time I ECE'd a 100 into a 200, and the 50k ride home was probably the fastest 50k I ever rode under Audax conditions. There were times when 20mph was all but effortless because of the tailwind and the slight gradient. Even if I could have retained the tailwind and the gradient I wouldn't have wanted to try and sustain that for 10 hours at a time.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

LMT

« Reply #3149 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:56:35 pm »
A bunch of knobheads, and TBH the very nature and title of the article offends me. Why does one need to put forward their opinion on why Kurt's record should be respected? The very nature of this achievement should automatically come with a massive dose of respect and acknowledgement. It would have been better if the article had been, ''Why all you lot who resent Kurt's HAMR record should f*** off or even better try an attempt yourself.''

I love the cherry picking in the comments as well. To compare LFL you should look at the amount of miles Godwin rode from the 10/01/39-09/01/40 to accurately compare it to Kurt's total. Not to mention - that there is no mention - of all the help that Tommy had regarding pacing and what not.

Looking at his Summer milage as well I'm failing to comprehend how Tommy banged out that sort of milage day after day. Or it could have been that he was a superb athlete. As is Kurt, Steve et al.