Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460826 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)
« Reply #3250 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:56:57 am »
Great stuff - congratulations to Kurt and Alicia  :thumbsup:

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #3251 on: 10 January, 2016, 11:30:40 am »
As said above its a bloody mind boggling distance.  Chapeau to Kurt & Alicia  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #3252 on: 10 January, 2016, 11:53:21 am »
I stayed up and followed the live tracker, I got to about 10 miles to go and had to go to sleep, but whilst looking at Kurts location i brought it up on Google earth and those Florida roads are flat and featuerless i really don't know how he kept it together.

I am really happy for Kurt and Alicia they really worked hard for that record.  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3253 on: 10 January, 2016, 11:58:59 am »
Amazing achievement. Kurt is now officially among cycling's greats.
Embrace your inner Fred.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3254 on: 10 January, 2016, 12:48:07 pm »
As well as taking the record (and I do hope UMCA credit him with 76076 even if their calculations vary by a mile or two), Kurt is one of only three record holders to ride every day of the year (Ossie Nicholson in 1933 and Billie Dovey in 1938 being the other two).

I also hope that both Kurt and Alicia are remembered together for the record. We wouldn't be looking at a new record without the pair of them.
+1 to all that especially the part about Alicia.  16th of April was the day my support for Kurt became 100% and unshakable - such grit.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3255 on: 10 January, 2016, 01:44:09 pm »
It appears that we finished this endeavor just in time. There is a cold front moving in that will hit tonight that will drop the temps down into the 30's. Today we are off to walk the beach and then check out history of st augustine before heading to Vite Bikes tomorrow to pick up a bent for Alicia. If she is going to go after the women's record she will need the right tool. Then it is back to Arkansas for work and to preperations.

Go Alicia :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #3256 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:53:01 pm »
What a team. They are truly awe inspiring.

Chris S

« Reply #3257 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:57:12 pm »
I'd put money on them flipping places now, with Kurt supporting an Alicia attempt on the Women's record.

« Reply #3258 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:06:02 pm »
I'd put money on them flipping places now, with Kurt supporting an Alicia attempt on the Women's record.

As posted elsewhere on here, that's already underway.

https://www.facebook.com/tarzanrides/?fref=ts

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3259 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:09:21 pm »

That would just be so extraordinary were she to succeed and for a husband and wife team to be both the record holders.
I'm wondering though, whether Kurt now needs to get his life back 'on track'.   ie earning some money.  That year has cost him a fortune. (I assume)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3260 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:26:55 pm »
Not sure if it has been linked elsewhere, interview with Kurt and some British idiot here, text and audio format.

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2016/01/09/hamr-year-record-godwin-searvogel

« Reply #3261 on: 10 January, 2016, 04:15:39 pm »
Amazing so Alicia is going for the ladies record  ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3262 on: 10 January, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »

That would just be so extraordinary were she to succeed and for a husband and wife team to be both the record holders.
I'm wondering though, whether Kurt now needs to get his life back 'on track'.   ie earning some money.  That year has cost him a fortune. (I assume)

A dollar a mile, he said somewhere. That's a fair bit! But, if the family business can stand it and his ex is supportive, then it would be great to see the roles reversed.

« Reply #3263 on: 10 January, 2016, 05:43:25 pm »

I interviewed Andy Wilkinson at the Mersey Roads in the summer, while he was marshalling at Tern Hill. He's been supporting his wife Jill in a bid to beat Beryl Burton's 12 Hour record, she's got within 20 minutes. Andy has held every CTT record over 50 miles at some time or other. I was mainly out to find out how he thought Steve was doing, but I also had the 100 mile times, so was able to update him on the contenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pViF5OXHS0

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3264 on: 10 January, 2016, 05:56:30 pm »
Not sure if it has been linked elsewhere, interview with Kurt and some British idiot here, text and audio format.

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2016/01/09/hamr-year-record-godwin-searvogel
Great stuff.
A comment of minority interest:
"
Kurt Searvogel did the undoable with five days to spare, which means he had most of this week to pad his record.
“A lot of my fans are like, ‘Ride, ride, ride! Make it really hard, make it impossible to break.” said Searvogel. “It’s like, ‘OK, whatever. When the weather’s nice, I’ll ride. When not, I’ll do something else. Like a sane person.'”
"

And I liked this:
At the end of the day, the hardest thing of this record is getting on the bike and turning the pedals.
– Dave Barter
;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #3265 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:02:08 pm »
Amazing so Alicia is going for the ladies record  ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I personally think that's a bit of fun from Kurt, He would have to give up another year of work and competition, he couldn't get away with anything less than full support role reversals, don't think that's going to happen soon.

So from now on Kurt is out of our life, he will leave a big daily hole. I will definitely take more interest in USA ultracycling results in future to see how he gets on.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3266 on: 10 January, 2016, 06:13:40 pm »
At the risk of going over ground well-trodden  on another thread ...

I doubt Alicia would need 365x24 support to beat 100mpd.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #3267 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:52:36 pm »
Fantastic achievement Kurt; and thanks to the amazing Alicia without whom....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3268 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:34:14 pm »
Just seen on Facebook that Kurt's dad died in his sleep last night.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3269 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:35:28 pm »
Just seen on Facebook that Kurt's dad died in his sleep last night.

Oh, that's crap news. Commiserations, Kurt. 2016 strikes again...

« Reply #3270 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:39:38 pm »
...and he hadn't seen him for the whole year :(

LMT

« Reply #3271 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:46:46 pm »
I have not read the FB post so I don't know if he was ill, or it was sudden. But I hope that someone whispered in his ear that his son has made history.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3272 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »
I saw a post earlier from a relative of Kurt's (sister?) with a photo of her standing beside an obviously old man and from the context I guess that he had died, but it wasn't clear who he was. Stroke, I think.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3273 on: 14 January, 2016, 10:09:48 pm »
That's so sad. Kurt, my thoughts are with you and your family.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3274 on: 15 January, 2016, 08:40:59 pm »
A mind boggling achievement.

How on earth do you revert to Real Life after that?

Incredible.

H
g

With a decent decent  beer or three! !