Linked Events

• Whitby Weekender: 30 October, 2014 - 02 November, 2014

Author Topic: Whitby Weekender-ride leaves York station midnight 31/10/14 **Problem**check OP!  (Read 12413 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
:(
30/9/14 Just heard, house not available due to summer renovation schedule slippage.

See https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=85883.0 for the ride thread!
Edit 21/9/14

The bike ride part of this expotition leaves York Station at midnight on Friday and arrives in Whitby for breakfast.  It's a social ride with a comfortable pace (what that means does depend on the weather) and a few minor inclines but back when I could ride a bike 60 miles even I managed all the ups and was brave enough for the descent of Blue Bank.  Nowhere open for a halfway stop but roadside brewing and hedge inspection have historically sufficed and Woolly has offered a potential motorised pop-up cake stop.

Deano has volunteered to lead the ride again.

I deal with the accommodation for those who want to make a weekend of it.  Anyone wanting to do the ride and not actually stay the rest of the weekend in Whitby but who wants to loiter for a while on Saturday morning and get fed cake and beer/coffee/TEA in front of the fire is very welcome indeed to do so, but should be aware that they may be photographed in amusing poses with bottles and wooden train track.

(Here starteth the original post)

So, I saw my-mate-with-the-holiday-"cottage" yesterday, and have confirmation that I've got it booked for the relevant Friday/Saturday nights with an option to take it on the Thursday too if there is any interest.  Price is £100 a night for the whole place.

Previous years' threads:

2013 https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=70801.0
2012 https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=59136.0
2011 https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=51743.msg1042830#msg1042830
2010 https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38025.msg720888#msg720888

I don't know if it's a Cub weekend or not at present - although they'd probably never forgive me if I left 'em behind.  Either way I'm probably game for going ahead sans bicyclette to form part of the advance party, and would love it if any of the usual suspects were tempted to do likewise.  The EldestCub has already attempted to open negotiations with CrinklyUncle to be allowed stoker duties...

Who's in?

Edit 26/8/14

Runners And Riders

I make the list of possible participants:

Potentially staying Thursday night (I'll need to confirm this quite soon!):
CrinklyLion
EldestCub
SmallestCub
Arch
Mr Arch
Possibly some Mordorians in a chicken/fox/corn/river logistics manner?
Anyone else interested?

Staying Friday, not riding:

Arch
Mr Arch
Barakta
CrinklyLion
EldestCub
SmallestCub
Woolly
Wowbagger

Possibly staying Friday but considering riding:

Peli
CrinklyAuntie

Riding on Friday, staying on Staurday:
Nikki
Kim
andrewc
Deano
CrinklyUncle
Phanta

Riding on Friday, not sure if staying Saturday:

slowcoach
Socks+Mrs Socks

Riding but not staying Sat night:

Tiermat
tom_e

This would make for a fairly full house!

I'd suggest that Kim&Barakta, Arch&Mr Arch, CrinklyAuntie&CrinklyUncle get their usual rooms.  Woolly&Peli the little attic (so long as your shoulders/arms etc can cope with mattress on the floor accomodation?) leaving the larger attic and the big double room on the second floor as "dorms" for the rest of us.

The Schedule:

- Advance party heading over either Thursday or Friday (tbc) to ready the house, fire up the heating and get the kettle on.  I load up the fridge (k-f-oj, lacto-free, fizzy pop, fuzzy pop, wine and and beer) and organise food for the evening for early arrivals as well as stuff for self service over the weekend.
- Cars etc can be parked for free by the Whalebones in the off peak season.
- Riders arriving Saturday am for fry ups at the caff, beer at the 'spoons, and vegging out in front of the fire at the house.
- Saturday pm - steam trains, beaches, kites, goth spotting, counting steps to the Abbey, whatever takes your fancy really.
- Saturday evening - Chish and Fips.
- Sunday am - I persuade the rayburn into producing a cooked brekkie
- Sunday after breakfast - packing up, then divide and conquer as some head to the beach/town etc to keep small people out of the way and others do the cleanup before we all go our separate ways.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Whitby Weekender, Halloween 2014
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2014, 10:00:26 pm »
In.  Hopefully without a chest infection, this time.

Oh, probably worth spelling out the dates in the topic BTW.

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2014, 11:51:24 pm »
In! Last year was good ...except for chest infection induced dramas  :o

Phanta's bringing her horn this year, right?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2014, 12:19:57 am »
If she doesn't, I'll have to bring mine...   :demon:

« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:04:22 am »
Last year was fun, so put me on the list.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:04:56 am »
Count me in.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:06:16 am »
I am aiming to do the ride this year, dunno about accommodation, though, will probably do my normal routine of riding to Whitby, eating far too much, getting the train home then sleeping on the sofa for the rest of the day.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:11:39 am »
Absolutely! I'm happy to lead (as much as I ever bother to) the ride again.

Oh, I now know how to get onto the viaduct for the last bit into Whitby, if anyone fancies it for the views. Involves steps, mind.

CrinklyAuntie

• aka Auntie Cake and The Sheriff of Christmas
« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:41:19 am »
I'm quite tempted to ride this year.

« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »
Count me in as a probable. I would class myself as a definite if it wasn't for the fact that if I inked it into the calendar I can guarantee that a clashing event will turn up. If I just pretend I'm not a definite, the calendar fairies may not notice.

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2014, 12:31:52 am »
Count me in for riding and cottaging!

I'll have to find a space on the handlebars for the steampunk horn.

« Reply #11 on: 27 May, 2014, 07:57:15 pm »
Hi - is this Friday 31st October, and Saturday 1st November?  If so could you book me in, I haven't taken part in previous events but would like to give it a go.

I live near Sunderland so if the weather is OK I could cycle there there / back (or if not, get the train part of the way).
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #12 on: 27 May, 2014, 08:42:24 pm »
It is indeed - although if there is any interest in making a longer weekend of it I can get the house on Thursday night for an extra hundred quid.  I likely won't do that for just the Cubs and I, but would be up for doing so if anyone else is!

« Reply #13 on: 27 May, 2014, 09:46:21 pm »
Hi - is this Friday 31st October, and Saturday 1st November?  If so could you book me in, I haven't taken part in previous events but would like to give it a go.

I live near Sunderland so if the weather is OK I could cycle there there / back (or if not, get the train part of the way).

Cool. Should add to the unusual bike quotient!

What happened on the Mosstrooper, by the way? You looked alright at Muggleswick.

« Reply #14 on: 29 May, 2014, 07:40:10 pm »
Deano - I got to the downhill above Nenthead and the cold, drizzle, wind and mist was blasting across so I gave up and turned right, down to Allendale and a warm cafe.

Lack of moral fibre, or common sense, depending on how you look at it.  Still a nice day out, the best bits of the ride for me were the quiet roads because of the early morning start and a lovely breakfast at Muggleswick.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:23:22 pm »
With apologies for prolonged absence due to IT reasons (it being too fiddly to read YACF on my phone, and then sort of getting out of the way of visiting)...MFWHTBAB and I are up for this, assuming I'm not tied to something boring like a job I can't get time off from.

Can't imagine us being fit to ride, so most likely we can do advance party and broom wagon stuff if needed. :thumbsup:

Would be cool to meet up with you all again, really must get back over here more.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »
Hurrah!  Presumably with the same room as last time?

*writes that booking in to the room allocations*

« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:55:42 pm »
Oh, yes please!

We'll be legal by then, of course.... ;)

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #18 on: 03 June, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »
I'm keen for the Thursday night too, jobs allowing. Same room as usual to save me scratching the walls and thumbing the carpets. :o

I'll bring tools and vehicle for anyone who needs transporting.  :thumbsup:

I may also be dressed for the occasion..... ;)

« Reply #19 on: 14 June, 2014, 09:17:09 pm »
I've been thinking (ah, you wondered what that burning smell was...), and if we can wrangle enough stuff from charity shops and wield a needle or two, I may have a mildly steam punk outfit to wear about town....

I'll be able to walk up the steps and you can all point at me!

« Reply #20 on: 14 June, 2014, 10:07:57 pm »
Prompted by reading this thread, I went back and re-read last years, for nostalgia. Which led me to think:

How come Mr Arch only looks about 18? :o

I was amused to note that the day after the weekend, we'd been and set the date for our wedding, and pressed the apples for the cider...

And then, the very last post. Oh Nikki, you didn't know then! (neither did we, actually!)

Top hat & vintage welding goggles...

Mis-read that as wedding goggles...

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #21 on: 14 June, 2014, 10:50:23 pm »
And then, the very last post. Oh Nikki, you didn't know then! (neither did we, actually!)

Top hat & vintage welding goggles...

Mis-read that as wedding goggles...
I had an embyonic thought even then, once I found the goggles being thrown away at the railway.  I sort of built the complete outfit around figuring out how to use them.  ;)

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #22 on: 14 June, 2014, 10:55:48 pm »
Prompted by reading this thread, I went back and re-read last years, for nostalgia. Which led me to think:

How come Mr Arch only looks about 18? :o
Time warp?
Photo taken in 1984?
I am immortal and have only aged 6 hours since 16:56?

« Reply #23 on: 12 July, 2014, 12:21:15 am »
After a conversation with Deano this afternoon, I'm considering this - a lot will depend on me being able to skive offwork from home on the Friday so I can get some kip beforehand; late starts generally don't agree with me.

The orange n+1 might be ready by then too.

Screw goth-ness, I'm going for the pumpkin vibe.

ETA: No accomodation required - a tentative plan is to head on back down to Scarborough and get the train home.

The off road route to Scarborough is fun,  but allow at least 3 hours.  I nearly missed my train!

« Reply #24 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:48:12 pm »
Train tickets are now available for this weekend. I'll be getting in to York 9.15 on the Friday, and leaving Whitby at about 12.45 on the Sunday.