Author Topic: Etrex 32x repair?  (Read 3490 times)

Etrex 32x repair?
« on: 30 March, 2022, 05:06:53 pm »
One of my etrexes seems to have died. I switch it on, and see it start to boot up, until I see the menu grid appear. At this point the screen fades out, switching off the unit. This is with new batteries.
When I connect the etrex to a pc, it all looks normal.
I had the idea of connecting to a pc, then doing a full reset; it doesn’t seem possible to do this, there is no response to any button pressing when plugged in.
Is it possible to fix, or get fixed this gps? It is not that old, but out of warranty.
What might have caused the failure?
Thanks for any help!
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

Re: Etrex 32x repair?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2022, 05:32:35 pm »
This may seem daft but you don’t have battery saver on do you?  That turns off the screen pretty quickly after boot, even though the unit is still on.

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2022, 05:41:45 pm »
The screen fades away within a second of the menu grid appearing. In that time, none of the buttons do anything.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2022, 05:47:44 pm »
Since it powers up OK from USB, I'd say it sounds like there's a problem with the connection between the batteries and the main board.
I don't have that model, but I understand that some models have spring contacts which can rub away the contact pads on the PCB leaving a poor connection.

I'll leave it to someone with direct knowledge of that model to comment further, as I may be barking up the wrong tree!

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2022, 11:40:17 am »
I think the battery contact is ok, since it consistently starts to boot up, which requires battery power.

Probably something to do with the processor, or more likely a dodgy file which blows the mind of the processor.

If there is no diy fix, does anyone have experience of Garmin Support? I wonder what their response might be if I sent it back?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2022, 11:58:13 am »
Anything here that might help: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102928.0 ?

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2022, 09:27:44 am »
Follow up - Without much hope, I contacted uk Garmin Support, by freephone. VERY HELPFUL. They showed me there is a way of resetting from the usb power, but this didn’t fix my unit when I tried.
Even though the gps was out of warranty by a few months, they offered to exchange my etrex for a reconditioned one foc. Transit paid. Within 5 days of my phone call, I now have a replacement etrex, which looks like a new one. Recommended!

ppg

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:42:02 pm »
My Oregon 700 died last week.
I bought it as NOH (newly overhauled) 16 months ago at very reduced rate from Factoryoutletstore.com who claim to be Garmin resellers and offer a 2yr Garmin warranty.

I was sceptical but I rang Garmin UK support, answered immediately by very helpful agent who went through the diagnostics routine and confirmed it needed to be returned,
the warranty status TBD. They then emailed a follow up requesting proof of purchase etc. and I was very happy to later receive a free UPS return label and confirmation that it would be swapped out with a reconditioned unit.

So, very happy with the shop and Garmin support, less so with the Oregon failing after less than 2 years - my Oregon 450t still works (mostly) after over a decade.

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2022, 09:38:11 am »
My 5 month old Etrex 32x developed the symptoms described by OP. On switcing on, goes to the main screen then switches off after a few seconds.

I did a full reset - a rather fiddly pressing of two buttons and the joystick.  Ten days on , with frequent use, it seems to be behaving itself (so far).