Author Topic: Newbie Cyclocross  (Read 6179 times)

Re: Newbie Cyclocross
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2009, 07:48:33 pm »
Here's a fixed 'cross dismount, follow the guy in the red top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2gwN_kDLmA

I'll have a go next time I ride the fixed through the park.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #26 on: 11 September, 2009, 09:47:02 pm »
That's so smooth I had to watch it a dozen times!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #27 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:15:18 am »
Thread resurrection: My club was running the first cross race in the Wessex league calendar yesterday, so I went down and had a go. Unfortunately, being firmly inside 18 - 39 years old I was racing against a lot of Cat 1 and 2 guys taking it very seriously.

Still, a lot of fun, nice and dry and a nice easy course for me to learn on. I had exactly the same problem as Palinurus was taking about though - I can dismount and leap the boards with the pros, but all of my remount practice was forgotten in a instant, and I lost probably 20 metres everytime. Only lapped twice by the winner, and nowhere near last so that's a success. Maybe go up to Swindon in a couple of weeks now I've got the bug.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 15 September, 2010, 04:54:33 pm »
Nice picture Paul - did you get a new skinsuit for the photo session?!?

Maybe see you at the DPCC event in Newbury? (must be as near as Swindon) Oct 10th  IIRC
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 15 September, 2010, 06:40:55 pm »
It's great isn't it?

Nowhere near last sounds like a good result.

Looking forward to getting started again, I've got five races lined up for October.

As for the remount just practice. Might help: the most useful tip for me (possibly came from one of those videos I linked to earlier) was that you should be able to remount while stationary, when I had to consider how to get on the bike in one motion rather than how to jump onto a moving bike it made it easy.

I was fine last season, I'm still trying to get it that bit smoother.

« Reply #30 on: 16 September, 2010, 11:13:25 am »
The skinsuit is 18 months old to raise some enthusiasm for time trially. Didn't work, hasn't been worn more than a few times. Thought I'd dig it out again for the cyclocross as a) I'm 'sposed to be racing (!) and more importantly b) I don't want to get my good shorts muddy and/or ripped when I inevitably come off. :thumbsup:

I might yet come up to Newbury, although it has competition from the New Forest Gridiron 100k that day. You going to ride Matt?

Everywhere is too far away from Dorset! Some of the southwest league (Taunton and Chard) and the western league (Bristol and Castle Combe) are closer than many of the Wessex league races (Reading and Oxford in particular).

Palinurus - I did watch the vids on this thread and they were most helpful. I hadn't tried the remount standing still though. I'll give that a go and see how I get on.