Author Topic: Left luggage at controls?  (Read 2154 times)

Left luggage at controls?
« on: 11 January, 2013, 11:21:03 pm »
Does anyone know if it would be possible to leave kit at controls (other than bag drop controls) on the northbound journey and collect it again on the southbound?  I'm not sure if I am going to ride with or without the cockpit canopy but wondered if I started with it, if I then decided I wanted to ride open cockpit if I could leave the canopy at a control.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
Re: Left luggage at controls?
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2013, 11:29:47 pm »
Why don't you think along the lines of 'If everyone wanted the same request as me would it become a total pain in the arse for the controllers who have enough to worry about without loads of individual requests for special treatment'

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2013, 12:46:54 am »
I'm not going to be able to commit a controller to agree to this, especially as we don't know which control you're thinking of.

They're a helpful bunch, so will probably do it. But don't count on it happening.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2013, 06:28:27 am »
Why don't you think along the lines of 'If everyone wanted the same request as me would it become a total pain in the arse for the controllers who have enough to worry about without loads of individual requests for special treatment'

I think that is the answer to so many questions being asked about the minutiae of the ride at the moment.

I know the volunteers at the controls will go above and beyond to help a rider out, but this should not be assumed or taken advantage of.

I expect nothing more than having my card stamped, being fed and watered and offered a place to sleep (does not have to be a bed). At 2 controls, there will be a bag of clean clothing to change into.

Beyond that, it is down to me to sort out.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2013, 07:01:00 am »
I expect nothing more than having my card stamped, being fed and watered and offered a place to sleep (does not have to be a bed). At 2 controls, there will be a bag of clean clothing to change into.
Beyond that, it is down to me to sort out.
+1

Randonneur Spirit

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2013, 09:32:00 am »
Does anyone know if it would be possible to leave kit at controls (other than bag drop controls) on the northbound journey and collect it again on the southbound?  I'm not sure if I am going to ride with or without the cockpit canopy but wondered if I started with it, if I then decided I wanted to ride open cockpit if I could leave the canopy at a control.

Lee - please worry about things like that when the huge current admin. load on just a few people has eased off.
It may all seem easy to you - but there is a huge amount of sorting out of entries and oddities going on .

S & K and myself have spent 18 hours in total this week with at least another 9 to come this morning and have now reached a point where we can concentrate on about 100 questions - not a big problem  but when A pays 5 times for entries for ABCDE  we need to understand what has happened - and make sure that E has not slipped thru somehow.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2013, 09:34:24 am »
i am also trying to herd 52 cats ( riders) all with different problems to get their entries finalised - problems all over the world with the links into Paypal.

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2013, 10:44:34 am »
Meanwhile I have several hundred requests and applications for waiting list places to respond to.

Mike-T

• I'm not on the run
« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2013, 08:00:44 pm »
Hey, I’m new to the forum and I’m really surprised about the ideas some riders have. ???

I’m doing brevets since 1999, have done PBP twice (the route is signed, no bag-drops), BMB (the route is marked with arrows on the ground, bag-drops), RockyMountains (route-sheet) and VanIsle (route sheet, bag-drops) and almost 60 brevets but it never came to me to ask organizers for full service.

I’m registered and hope I can finish LEL on my own as this is a new distance for me but I’m pretty sure I will try to.

This is an audax / randonneur event. You should try to ride it self-sufficiently. What, if you could let your canopy at a control and two controls later you would like to have it to protect you from the rain? Are you then going to call the control to ask them to bring it to you?

As marcusjb and Roland already said: It’s all about randonneuring spirit.  :thumbsup:

Cheers
Mike

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2013, 09:05:29 pm »
Hey, I’m new to the forum and I’m really surprised about the ideas some riders have. ???

I’m doing brevets since 1999, have done PBP twice (the route is signed, no bag-drops), BMB (the route is marked with arrows on the ground, bag-drops), RockyMountains (route-sheet) and VanIsle (route sheet, bag-drops) and almost 60 brevets but it never came to me to ask organizers for full service.

I’m registered and hope I can finish LEL on my own as this is a new distance for me but I’m pretty sure I will try to.

This is an audax / randonneur event. You should try to ride it self-sufficiently. What, if you could let your canopy at a control and two controls later you would like to have it to protect you from the rain? Are you then going to call the control to ask them to bring it to you?

As marcusjb and Roland already said: It’s all about randonneuring spirit.  :thumbsup:

Cheers
Mike

Absolutely - with you 100%

« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2013, 10:55:44 pm »

Absolutely - with you 100%

Are you implying that the fee doesn't include a full-service portering component? Why, for the money we're charged I was expecting a manservant to ride my bike during any stages where I might feel a little off-colour. I may have to seek a refund.

(Actually, on left-luggage, I can see myself asking at a control when I realise I've brought the kitchen sink despite my previous best intentions. Taken as read that it's best efforts, own risk, unlikely to be possible etc etc - and arranged ad hoc if at all. I'd then spoil it by failing to be appreciative, but that's just me.)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2013, 10:57:22 pm »
If you take too much, call in at a post office and post it home - or just carry it ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2013, 10:06:32 pm »
I am all for threads about how do I train, what do I need, which sleeping bag (I am seriously looking at the klymit kit as a result of the Facebook page).  I mostly ride on my own upto 250miles and have no backup.  I think there should be a ban on the organisers replying to any thread for the next 2 months.  The amount of work they must be putting in, over and above their day jobs is considerable. Lets leave them in peace.

Mike-T

• I'm not on the run
« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2013, 07:47:25 pm »
:thumbsup:  good suggestion

it's still enough time to solve all minor and/or major problems and to answer all questions

Mike

« Reply #14 on: 14 January, 2013, 08:33:37 pm »
This is not an official LEL forum so while it is a bonus to have some of the organisation around here I don't see why they should have any obligation to reply to every thread.  If someone wants to ask the organisation something directly, they can use the email address on the website?  I'm sure there are pleanty of others who have ridden in previous years who can awnser most queries?  Some of us are new to this and thus need to start somewhere.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2013, 08:40:00 pm »
Replies here are read by more than just the person asking...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...