Author Topic: A wee drop of whisky  (Read 39016 times)

Re: A wee drop of whisky
« Reply #75 on: 21 December, 2016, 01:16:16 pm »
Gin or whisky?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #76 on: 21 December, 2016, 01:56:03 pm »
There is just so much to choose from. Port and sherry finishes with peat smoke are my favorite  :P

Yes, Laphroaig do a couple of nice ones, PX being one of those.

The Bruaichladdich I refer to above was finished in French oak used for eau de vie of some kind
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #77 on: 22 December, 2016, 12:48:03 am »
Gin or whisky?

Whisky, apparently.

Mind, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried their hand at producing some gin as well, to get a bit of cashflow earlier than eight years' time ...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #78 on: 22 December, 2016, 10:11:29 am »
I have a very enticing bottle of Edradour to open on Christmas Eve, so that I can leave a glass out for Santa  ;)

I normally tend to go for single malts from the islands, but after visiting the Edradour distillery on a bike tour many years ago, it's become a bit of a favourite and Lady Redlight was kind enough to pick up a bottle on a recent work trip to Edinburgh.

All this talk of whisky going off worries me, though.  In our household, it can take two or three years to get through a bottle of spirits (we have vodka dating back almost two decades).  I haven't noticed any decline in quality, but then I don't have a particularly refined palate.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ElyDave

« Reply #79 on: 22 December, 2016, 01:59:02 pm »
I have a bottle of Glenmorangie cask strength bought for me on the event of my son's birth.  It's probably got about a quarter left and still tastes fine. My son turned 14 this year

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #80 on: 25 December, 2016, 08:45:46 pm »
Got a bottle of this, will report back when it has killed lurgy of death.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #81 on: 25 December, 2016, 10:20:15 pm »
I gave my father a bottle of Indian single malt for Xmas and he's feeding me bloody Grouse !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

« Reply #82 on: 31 December, 2016, 09:56:14 pm »
Strathisla :thumbsup:

I may broach my Jura16yo this evening

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #83 on: 06 January, 2017, 01:08:24 pm »
I treated myself to a Christmas present of Arran Machrie Moor 6th edition, Mrs Tween got a bottle of Penderyn.  Then in the Amazon end of year sale I failed to resist an Auchentoshan 12yo.

(IMHO anybody living in Aberdeen needs to be banned from this thread on account of The Grill)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #84 on: 25 February, 2017, 09:06:01 pm »
I have a number of faves.

Highland Park--a superb "cross-genre" malt.
Auchentoshan
Ardbeg
Glendronach sherry casked
Glengarioch
Talisker
Laphroaig
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #85 on: 26 February, 2017, 12:16:31 am »
^ which has prompted a survey of the whisky cupboard...
Arran amarone cask 0.4
Bowmore darkest 0.25
Bowmore small batch 1
Bunnahabhain 1
Bushmills 0.8
Caol Ila distillers 0.3
the Glenlivet Nadurra 0.5
Hakushu 0.6
Highland Park 1.6
Jura superstition 0.6
Lagavulin 0.3
Laphroaig 1/4 cask 1
Laphroaig 1
Port Ellen 0.5   <-- reward for babysitting the niece, aged about 1. She's about 23 now.
Scapa 0.9
Talisker 0.1
Yamazaki 0.6

time to get drinking and polish off some of the mostly empty bottles, I think

« Reply #86 on: 26 February, 2017, 05:13:44 am »
Big fan of the Islay, I see.

I'm not going to list my cabinet. There are about 40 bottles in there. Current faves are the really easy drinking AnCnoc, and the much more substantial Kilchoman Loch Gorm.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #87 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:12:56 pm »
Currently on 18yo Talisker. A bit smoother than bog standard Talisker, AFAIR.

ElyDave

« Reply #88 on: 13 July, 2017, 08:44:58 pm »
Mackmyra Vit Hund, unaged spirit. All appley cinnamon, nutmeg, peardroppiness. Lovely an warming on a grey, damp evening

I bought it having had a Mackmyra on SAS, on my way back from Norway last week

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #89 on: 29 October, 2019, 08:27:50 am »
A wee update on the drops

The Aldi one - Glen Marnoch is rather nice.

Sheep Dip and BenRiach are my new go to drops, I got them from the wee shop in town, where I also got the Tomatin and Glen Elgin the year before.

The Black Label isn't my cuppa, but you can't say no to free booze.

« Reply #90 on: 29 October, 2019, 09:16:44 am »
I came across Ben Riach about 10 years ago. They were, IIRC, a fairly recently de-mothballed distillery who were experimenting with all sorts of cask expressions and peatings.

The Tawny Port edition was gorgeous and it went from about £35 to over £100, after I drank almost the entire national supply.

I think I've still got a few bottles of theirs in the cabinet, but I rarely go in there these days.

« Reply #91 on: 04 November, 2019, 10:22:29 pm »
Costco had Aberfeldy 12 year old for £26 inc vat, which is very nice.    They've also got 25year old Glenfarcas for £96 inc vat, but I'm afraid that can stay on the shelf.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Redlight

« Reply #92 on: 06 November, 2019, 09:28:42 am »
I have a very enticing bottle of Edradour to open on Christmas Eve, so that I can leave a glass out for Santa  ;)

I normally tend to go for single malts from the islands, but after visiting the Edradour distillery on a bike tour many years ago, it's become a bit of a favourite and Lady Redlight was kind enough to pick up a bottle on a recent work trip to Edinburgh.

All this talk of whisky going off worries me, though.  In our household, it can take two or three years to get through a bottle of spirits (we have vodka dating back almost two decades).  I haven't noticed any decline in quality, but then I don't have a particularly refined palate.

I am sorry to report that the final drops of the bottle referred to above were consumed last Friday night - conveniently just before Christmas  ;)  This Christmas Day, I anticipate also finishing the bottle of brandy that we bought in 1999 to douse the Christmas pudding, and which has been called into service once a year since then. The vodka is still sitting there.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #93 on: 06 November, 2019, 03:25:40 pm »
There has been a bit of a turnround on my shelves lately. I have finished the Yamazaki and the Penderyn so I have only Scotch left. The Talisker and at Aberlour have also gone, but I've recently bought a Bunnahabhain and a Jura. This last was a special offer in WR and it doesn't say how old it is, but it's single malt and perfectly acceptable.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #94 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:47:33 am »

Redlight

« Reply #95 on: 10 December, 2019, 01:53:42 pm »
I realise this is going to set everyone disagreeing but I would greatly value a recommendation for a decent bottle of Whisky to buy my stepfather. He doesn't have a particularly refined palette but I'd like to give something that he will appreciate as being a bit special. Normally he tends to drink run of the mill blends or single malts of the Glenfiddich variety, so I guess I'd be looking for something Speyside.  I bought him a bottle of Edradour some years ago and he enjoyed that, but I'd like to give something different this time around.

Budget up to about £75.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #96 on: 10 December, 2019, 03:04:36 pm »
I have learned of late (I wonder why it took so long) that throwing more coin at the malts do not equal better drops. I spend £110 on a Port Elen which was a wonderful drop, but said bottle is now £1700, but hell is the taste that good or worth it, especially when a Strathisla is as good if not better.

So I'm kinda inclined to say split the loot and get two bottles.

I have truly enjoyed Sheep Dip, BenRiach, anConc and Strathisla of late. All in the £30-40 area and you can often find some of them on offer.

Heck go to Aldi get one of each of their bottles Glen Marnoch (three versions @ £17.49) and save a few bob's. I got the Islay and honestly it's as good as any I have tasted at £45-55 area.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/10/four-of-aldis-whiskies-have-been-named-among-the-best-in-the-world-9886244/ ooh I gotta remember to throw a bottle of Hogwash into the trolley the next time I'm there just because of the name and price even when I prefer Single Malts

« Reply #97 on: 10 December, 2019, 03:07:50 pm »
I realise this is going to set everyone disagreeing but I would greatly value a recommendation for a decent bottle of Whisky to buy my stepfather. He doesn't have a particularly refined palette but I'd like to give something that he will appreciate as being a bit special. Normally he tends to drink run of the mill blends or single malts of the Glenfiddich variety, so I guess I'd be looking for something Speyside.  I bought him a bottle of Edradour some years ago and he enjoyed that, but I'd like to give something different this time around.

Budget up to about £75.

Macallan 10 is always good.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #98 on: 10 December, 2019, 03:22:59 pm »
Many moons ago I used to make the occasional trip to Scotland when I worked for HMCE. I recall a conversation about the merits of different malts and the local in Aberdeen used to rate The MacAllan. There's a small distilley in Elgin - Glen Moray Glen Livet - which also produced decent stuff. I haven't seen their stuff for a while though as their wet warehouse was severely flooded a few years back.

Oh, it looks as though they are still about.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/251486299?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+Alcohol*PX+%7C+Shopping+GSC+%7C+Alcohol+Top+Offers*Alcohol:+F%26D:+Spirits:+Top+Offers+-+Spirits*PRODUCT_GROUP251486299*&ds_rl=1116019&ds_rl=1116322&ds_rl=1116019&gclid=CjwKCAiAob3vBRAUEiwAIbs5TmgjjlOUX8WaQ2HlBoK-9LzHgB4o6lqYMp9jj1uAPT2lpLoS1J_nohoCWk8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We visited their distillery as part of our "outreach".  ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #99 on: 19 December, 2019, 03:35:53 am »

Budget up to about £75.

A Highland Park, variety to suit the budget? Slight sweetness, so tends to suit folk who aren't *that* into their whisky, but still has a depth of flavour