Author Topic: What lead won't bounce out of Etrex 30 running from dynamo  (Read 2992 times)

What lead won't bounce out of Etrex 30 running from dynamo
« on: 19 September, 2016, 04:18:32 pm »
Today I've put the dynamo hub back on as I now need lights for those early morning trips.
Last year I invested in a dynamo and sucessfully ran the GPS via the USB lead from a Luxos, but experienced problems with the lead dropping out of the Etrex. To try to cure this I got a lead with a right angle connection and attached an elastic band around the connector on the lead and then looped the band around the Etrex. This was animprovement bit it still has the occasional  loss of power and the subsequent shutdown sequence begins, due to loss of power.
I read that others use a similar set up and wondered if they too have had this issue and, indeed, how they have overcome the problem?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What lead won't bounce out of Etrex 30 running from dynamo
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2016, 04:49:45 pm »
I just use the standard lead that came with the eWerk. No problems.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2016, 05:05:15 pm »
Mini-USB connectors aren't brilliant at staying attached at the best of times.  They aren't really designed for charging (they're for exchanging data with computers, and assume a lot fewer mating cycles), and suffer from the sprung element being in the socket, rather than the plug as per micro-USB.  It's entirely possible that the looseness is a function of the socket on the eTrex.

Only thing I can usefully suggest is to go rummaging in the random USB cables box and try all the ones you find to see which is most secure.  If you don't have a random USB cables box, you probably know someone who does.

TBH, one of the main advantages of the eTrex (over things like the Edge) is that you don't really need to do this sort of thing.  It's easy to carry a couple of sets of batteries, or buy more on the road, etc.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2016, 05:55:39 pm »
Yebbut it's nice to ride with it permanently backlit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2016, 05:58:50 pm »

TBH, one of the main advantages of the eTrex (over things like the Edge) is that you don't really need to do this sort of thing.  It's easy to carry a couple of sets of batteries, or buy more on the road, etc.
[/quote]

Thanks, I would have agreed with you when running the old HCX as it would light up and bleep when I needed to make a turn but the "improved" 30 doesn't do that and when one runs through the night in winter the backlight is needed and the dynamo is then more convenient.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2016, 06:15:08 pm »
Thanks, I would have agreed with you when running the old HCX as it would light up and bleep when I needed to make a turn but the "improved" 30 doesn't do that and when one runs through the night in winter the backlight is needed and the dynamo is then more convenient.

Ah yes.  I tend to use auto-routing, where it still does.  The handling of track navigation on the new eTrex is certainly a retrograde step.   >:(

Fair point about keeping the backlight permanently on.  It uses less power than you might expect (actually, I've got a thingy - I could make some proper measurements), but still amounts to a substantial increase in consumption for long rides.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2016, 06:29:05 pm »
Of the things my Edge 305 has suffered with, a charge cable falling out is not one of them.

That's gone and done it now hasn't it?

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2016, 09:13:56 pm »
I just use Energizer Lithium batteries. I get around 900-1000 km out of them.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2016, 08:05:13 pm »
I am sending off my etrex as repeated USB use on long rides has wrecked the socket. Plus that on / off annoyance was never solved on rough roads  on a long ride. You can effectively get it to keep the backlight on just on batteries when navigating a track.  Don't ask for details right now but I have mine setup that way. It was necessary on the Wild  Atlantic Wat Audax. I was still getting over 20 hours from Duracell with the backlight light on all the time. When I get a refurbed unit back I'll no doubt need to set that one up the same. At which point I'll be able to tell you how  I do it if you haven't worked out already.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2016, 08:49:02 pm »
You can make the backlight on an eTrex stay on by selecting "Stays on" from the backlight timeout menu (in Setup/Display).

actually, I've got a thingy - I could make some proper measurements

Had a go, but in the absence of some fully charged NiMHs, decided against recording data and plotting graphs and all that geeky stuff.

Suffice to say, looking at my oscilloscope's calculation for RMS current draw over a 12 second period (the current waveform is complex, as you'd expect from a computer that's doing stuff, so you need to average a few seconds to get a meaningful sample) from my random mostly-used NiMHs it's averaging about 100mA with the backlight off rising to about 230mA with the backlight at full brightness.  In other words, full brightness backlight more than doubles the power consumption of the eTrex 30.

Anyway, the really interesting (if unsurprising to anyone used to working with lighting) thing is that this scales non-linearly.  At the lowest settings the extra current draw is barely noticeable (a few extra mA).  The current draw only reaches 150mA at about 3/4 of the way up the brightness scale.

Given that when it's actually dark the minimum brightness is perfectly adequate for reading the screen by, I'd suggest that it should therefore be perfectly possible to use it with the backlight permanently on at the lowest setting, without causing the eTrex to eat batteries.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:02:32 pm »
In relation to the original Q about keeping the cables in place...

To minimise stress on the cable / socket, try to find a cable with a small connector, thin-ish wire and no heavy ferrite blob hanging off it.
I managed to find a stupidly lightweight one recently, but the steering action caused the wire to fail internally after 300k!

On the Battery pack end, I have previously held the cable in by choking off an elastic band round the cable where it enters the plug, and then stretching the band over the battery pack thus holding the plug firmly in.   I suppose a variation on this could be done at the GPS end too, but I've never tried.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:04:05 pm »
I wonder if augmenting the plug with some tactical Sugru, in order to create a flange that might better be strapped in place would help?

Feanor

« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:10:50 pm »
On a vaguely related note, if you are considering running it on external power in the pissing rain:

1) Don't. The socket and SD card will become wet and eventually knackered.
   ( I had to replace the lower case assembly when this happened.
   Let it run in internal power till the rain stops or you get to shelter.

2) If you think you might waterproof it with gobs of silicone grease, well yes, that might work. But DO NOT substitute Vaseline!  The rubber flap will absorb the Vaseline and expand, and it well never seal closed again. ( I had to buy a replacement rubber seal. )

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:13:27 pm »
How does having a USB cable plugged in expose the SD card?

Feanor

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:18:09 pm »
They are on the same I/O daughter-board, which is exposed to outside if either flap is open.

The daughter board is sealed into a cavity in the case, which means that even if external side floods, the inside where the main board is remains dry.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:21:48 pm »
Okay, that makes sense.

Hang on, flap?  Are you thinking of an Edge or something?

Feanor

« Reply #16 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:25:23 pm »
Ahh, yes. In this case, yes I am, so a little OT.

The design of the eTrex may be different, in as much as it may not kill the SD to deth also, but the general point about the USB port not being waterproof applies.  I don't know what the sealing arrangements are in the eTrex, so if the USB gets wet, I'm not sure what else gets wet.

Here's photos of the remains of a wet Edge:

Dry Side:

Wet Side:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:35:54 pm »
Indeed.  Not having seen the insides of the eTrex 30, a daughterboard arrangement as you describe seems plausible.

The SD card on an eTrex 30 is located behind the AA batteries in the battery compartment (sealed by a gasket where the battery compartment cover fits) in one of those crappy flat microSD card holders that's a bit like the SIM holder in an old Nokia.  The card likes to make a bid for freedom - or intermittent looseness - if you're careless when changing the batteries.

(The older eTrex 'x' range had it end-on in one of those push-to-insert/-push-to-release holders which never caused problems.  I have seen the inside of one of those, and the USB socket is potted into the rear cover, and should be admirably waterproof.)

Either way, I don't think getting water in the USB port is going to be conducive to having a good day, and is best avoided.  I'll stick to AAs.  Charge a second set from your dynamo if you must (I believe the E-Werk can charge NiMH batteries directly).

« Reply #18 on: 21 September, 2016, 08:22:10 am »
Of the things my Edge 305 has suffered with, a charge cable falling out is not one of them.

That's gone and done it now hasn't it?

Well it certainly did it for me!
Set off on a mandatory DIY yesterday in the dark with rubber band in place after 19 miles I noticed that the Etrex had lost power from the dynamo and switched off. Must have missed the bleep and message due to the traffic and as I was on familiar roads and knew where to go I didn't look at it for 3 miles.
 My first thought was that I would abandon any atempt to get the ride verified (as it wouldn't be fair to ask that nice Mr Smith to approvre an incomplete track) but to carry on and have a day out . At the cafe stop I managed to identify exactly which bit was missing and found that if I did an extra loop on the way back I could include the missing bit. That's 223km for a 200 mandatory route :facepalm: