Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462762 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20050 on: 04 December, 2017, 11:57:42 pm »
My chain broke as I dismounted at work!. I knew it was way overdue. I bought a new chain for it last year, but that ended up on my BMX and it's been making noises for a while.
Much to my surprise, the nearby bike shop, which mostly deals with renting bikes to tourist, was surprisingly well stocked and had 2 brands of 1/8" chains, 1 generic and a SRAM PC1. I picked the SRAM.

« Reply #20051 on: 05 December, 2017, 02:34:12 pm »
Chains simply shouldn't break IMO.  I know they do, but I have a chain that is nearly 14 years old on a 9-speed.  It's been a very well used bike, especially for long slogs in the hills, incl. a Raid Pyrennean. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20052 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:54:06 pm »
Chains simply shouldn't break IMO.  I know they do, but I have a chain that is nearly 14 years old on a 9-speed.  It's been a very well used bike, especially for long slogs in the hills, incl. a Raid Pyrennean.

Can't be that well used, if the chain's 14 years old.

« Reply #20053 on: 05 December, 2017, 07:33:55 pm »

It was the locking joint and it looked like the retaining bolt had snapped.  It's been making noises (at the joint) for a while, which I happily ignored, whilst meaning to buy a new chain.

« Reply #20054 on: 05 December, 2017, 08:29:36 pm »
Got micro-close passed by a chap today and I asked that he leave more room. I'm pretty quick away from the lights / choose my route through traffic well and found myself ahead of him.

Repeat. Close pass, request to keep further away, especially when there was absolutely nothing outside of him and we were in an empty bus lane.

And repeat, except this time I used FFS as an exclamation and was a little more forceful in my request. Nice chap following up behind pulled alongside and congratulated me on taking the nobber to task.

At the lights by Newington butts he started whinging and nice chap intervened fairly firmly.

(Pointing to nobber.) "You're wrong."
(Pointing to me.) "He's right."
(Looking back at nobber.) "You've been passing people far too close all the way along here."

Nobber.  "What are you ?  Some sort of self-appointed arbitrator ?"

Nobbers don't know when to keep their mouths shut.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20055 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:21:11 pm »
Had a close call today.

I had the lane to myself on green, pedestrians started crossing (at a crossing, but on red) I started dinging my bell like mad, nearly all stopped. Except 1. He strode out into the road, i shot for the gap behind him, he saw me and stopped/tried to go back. All the brakes. Somehow made a LHT with pannier do an endo and I just grazed him with my shoulder.

peds man....

« Reply #20056 on: 06 December, 2017, 07:48:51 pm »
Back wheel slipped on something greasy whilst taking a roundabout at speed on the way in this morning, caught it but oh so close to going down

and I nearly got hit (at considerable speed) by a motorist who doesn't know how to roundabout on my way home tonight.

« Reply #20057 on: 07 December, 2017, 09:14:54 am »
Proper Mancunian today, forgot about the flooded bit at the bottom of the dip in Irlam, just about managed to avoid a swim.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #20058 on: 07 December, 2017, 01:03:22 pm »
I used my mtb today. I wanted wide bars in case of gusts, and fatter tyres in case of off-roading (there is a stretch where trees often fall in strong winds, necessitating a bit of cross-country) or deep puddles with bumps in them.

A small faff to transfer the bagman to the mtb, and remember to pack a 26" tube, and fit lights, only to find that it would all have been fine on the 700c bike, but I didn't know that when I set off.

Had to remember the wider bars when filtering, other than that, uneventful.

I wonder what the homeward journey has in store? Last I heard, it was going to get arctic this afternoon...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #20059 on: 07 December, 2017, 07:22:34 pm »
I don't much rate this getting older lark.  Over an hour work-bound and although it was a side/head wind it wasn't particularly difficult to cope with.  A handful of years ago I wouldn't even have noticed it.  *Sigh*
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20060 on: 08 December, 2017, 05:54:33 pm »
Bit blizzardy* this morning.

*Just a slight exaggeration. There was wind and there was snow.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20061 on: 08 December, 2017, 06:38:45 pm »
Yes, the SNO mandated my alternative all-main-road route which is clogged up with gridlocked cars.
So slow going, weaving in and out of stationary traffic.

A minor off on the lunchtime loop because I attempted the Westhill Cycle Path initially.
This was silly.
Back onto the main road.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20062 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:25:49 pm »
Walked the last coupla hundred metres or so home, 'cos ice.

« Reply #20063 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:10:08 am »
Yeah, it was bloody cold.  Left office late and Friday night along Princes street was absolutely packed with the Xmas market and part goers.  Great atmosphere

Paul

« Reply #20064 on: 09 December, 2017, 03:16:23 pm »
The light snowfall yesterday morning motivated me to go offroad. Wonderful, crisp, sunny (and muddy) ride in.

« Reply #20065 on: 10 December, 2017, 07:05:39 am »
Walked the last coupla hundred metres or so home, 'cos ice.

On studded tyre bike for Thursday and Friday commutes .....board meeting cancelled 'cos of snow. They should get bikes!
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #20066 on: 11 December, 2017, 08:27:37 am »
Another one on the studs here - lots of black ice about and got told I was 'braver man me on that thing' by a guy clinging to a gate post opposite the drive. The only thing you have to remember is just how treacherous it is underfoot when you stop.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20067 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:42:00 am »
Better than expected this morning. Even our untreated street was rideable due a fresh sprinkling of snow over the ice. The rest of the roads to work were clear.

Paul

« Reply #20068 on: 11 December, 2017, 11:11:19 am »
No studs, but my standard mtb tyres were up to it.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20069 on: 11 December, 2017, 07:45:42 pm »
Another Main Road commute on account of the SNO, which was slow on account of being held up by large groups of selfish slow road users, sometimes 2 abreast, not getting out of my way.
Do You Know Who I Am?

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #20070 on: 12 December, 2017, 01:27:05 am »
Nasty nasty on the way in to work tonight. Left the house at 2000 hrs, and didn't ride the first 100 yards to the main road as it was sheet ice. Light snow falling, but that wasn't the problem. I stuck to main roads more than usual, and kept my braking and turning very slow and gradual.

Not looking forward to the ride/walk home tomorrow morning.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20071 on: 12 December, 2017, 07:52:46 am »
To save money, the bastard Tories who run Swindon Council have halved the gritting runs this year, so the first half was sheet ice.  Ok on the studded tyres (once you stop shivering with terror and let them do their job) but cars weren't slowing down AT ALL.  There are going to be crashes everywhere.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20072 on: 12 December, 2017, 07:10:53 pm »
It was disconcertingly sparkly when I set off this morning, but the Winter's did their job. The trip back was very soggy, but brightened up by a strong tailwind :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20073 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:59:03 am »
Last night's rain ensured our untreated cul-de-sac was an ice rink this morning. I walked that short stretch, but the rest of the commute was fine. I feel sorry for peds, though, the pavements looked very treacherous.

« Reply #20074 on: 13 December, 2017, 10:03:32 am »
Just got home last night as the rain started, instant black ice. Back on the slicks this morning and confirmation that I really am lazy, only 5 mins quicker but a helluva lot less effort.