General Category > OT Knowledge

digital vernier callipers

(1/17) > >>

canny colin:
Looking for recommendations for above , mainly for measuring bearing sizes on bikes ect .  Close up vision is not what it was . Are cheaper £15  / £ 25  callipers worth having Thanks colin   

Brucey:
the ones from Aldi are very good for the money. They are not super-smooth when they are new but free up with use/fettling. BTW I have owned and used posher ones (e.g. Mitutoyo) and I wouldn't bother with anything like that for bicycle work.

[edit; they are obviously not available all year round but (in last year's version) they  do have big numbers in the display, and have a good (battery saving) auto on/off facility.]

cheers

grams:
Get one with a metal body. The black plastic ones are too bendy to measure anything even mildly accurately.

Otherwise they’re all pretty much the same.

T42:
I'm happy with my 9€ eBay calliper, e.g. it measures drill shank diameters to within 0.03 of a mm from the stated value, which is probably inaccurate anyway.

Main issue with such callipers is manufacturing tolerances, which you can judge by seeing how consistently they measure the same thing.  I use mine for everything bikish plus luthiery and I've no complaints.

--- Quote from: grams on 20 May, 2019, 09:23:30 am ---Get one with a metal body. The black plastic ones are too bendy to measure anything even mildly accurately.

Otherwise they’re all pretty much the same.

--- End quote ---

Not with a bargepole.

fuaran:
I've got one from Lidl, cost about £9 I think. Works fine for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version