Author Topic: [LEL17] P43 reporting from India ( My blog)  (Read 2753 times)

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
[LEL17] P43 reporting from India ( My blog)
« on: 08 September, 2017, 06:01:19 am »
I have seen the blog thread already running , but I'm starting a new one to thank all the members here. I don't know the amount of words to use for Thanking you all, infact during the ride or at the end of ride, I wondered, if I didn't find this forum ,what would have been my condition !

Right from reaching to my place before the event, tubes, buses and then about weather, gear and navigation all my fears are addressed by wonderful people here. I will hyperlink them in this post later, just as reference to any rider in future. Apart from riding bike, my training was to eagerly go through almost every post in this thread. I wonder if there is a contest for maximum hits in day before LEL, I might win the prize :)

Especially , reading old blogs from here made me well prepared to understand what to expect during the ride. 

In short, I stayed at Luton, at my cousin's place for a day and the camped in Davenant school grounds for 3D/2N. Volunteered a bit. Took 7 hours additionally to finish the route. Later I went on a vacation to Scotland. As a sendoff, I got a guided London trip on Brompton from Olaf ( redfalo here) and Titus.

I met exitstageleft,redfalo and 3peaker during the event. Everytime, I see a YACF badge, I used to get so excited. Sadly, many times it was either during a climb or when I was exhausted, so I missed having some beautiful conversations out there, but no regrets, will see you all at Paris in 2019.

Just like first love in teens or the first crush... this first international trip of mine became very memorable and I couldn't pass a day without thinking about my memories there.

Once again thanks to all you wonderful, kind and amazing members of this forum , organisers and fellow riders.

Here is my blog about my experiences just during the ride : a two part story and a long read.

Part-1 :https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/2017/09/05/lel-2017-london-edinburgh-london-part-1-northbound/

Part-2 : https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/2017/09/05/lel-2017-london-edinburgh-london-part-2-southbound

Cheers.

I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

Re: P43 reporting from India ( My blog)
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2017, 07:15:49 am »
That's a very expressive read. It's interesting to see the concerns of people from other countries. It wouldn't occur to us Brits that someone might wonder if there are wild animals, but why shouldn't there be in such isolated places?

It helps explain why some thought there must be people to look after the sheep. There are foxes, which might take lambs, but they wouldn't challenge an adult sheep. Foxes are killed by the gamekeepers who protect the grouse, which some shoot. That's why there are so many rabbits on Yad Moss.

« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:04:04 am »
A great read thank you. I would recommend it to all UK riders who think the UK is normal!

« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:21:39 am »
What a great blog. Really expresses what it is like to carry on pushing through such exhaustion and pain.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2017, 11:14:00 am »
It was an emotional roller coaster reading your ride report!  You demonstrated such enormous grit and determination to complete the ride despite knowing you were out of time.  Chapeau!  I wish good luck with your future Brevets!
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2017, 12:05:36 pm »
Excellent.  What an emotional event for you - and for us reading it!

Peter

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2017, 01:01:36 pm »
A great read, thanks!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #7 on: 08 September, 2017, 05:48:55 pm »
I was the man on the desk at Loughton  :thumbsup:
Emotional ride/read, well done.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2017, 07:02:52 pm »
Thank you all  :)

I was the man on the desk at Loughton  :thumbsup:
Emotional ride/read, well done.

He he, I forgot to introduce there. Glad we met here.

That's a very expressive read. It's interesting to see the concerns of people from other countries. It wouldn't occur to us Brits that someone might wonder if there are wild animals, but why shouldn't there be in such isolated places?

It helps explain why some thought there must be people to look after the sheep. There are foxes, which might take lambs, but they wouldn't challenge an adult sheep. Foxes are killed by the gamekeepers who protect the grouse, which some shoot. That's why there are so many rabbits on Yad Moss.

This fear of wild animals needs a long explanation. To begin with, the fear of dogs and dog chases are very common in India, as there will be many street dogs and strays. They will ruin the plesantness of a night ride. ( Sometimes they help you to be awake :p)

Wild animal encounters are not common, even in India. In that case, we will not be even allowed to  ride bikes through  national parks. But my fear of wild animal encounters started with a brevet called Bliss in the hills. It is a non audax 1200 brm with 13000 m elevation. The route passes through major south Indian hills and atleast 200 km stretch passes through roads where there is chance of encountering an elephant. While no one actually saw one,, during the ride, there is always a fear among riders. I never reached till that place in my two attempts though. Some riders encountered Indian Guars ( wild buffaloes). So these brought a permanent fear in me about wild animals.

So when I saw national park name after Thrisk, there was some fear in me. Thanks to a post in facebook that the maximum possibility is just a badger. That's my story.

I saw that interview of Indian lady. Yeah, as she said ours is a densely populated nation and you might encounter a human now and then. If there are wide open farms atelast in one corner of the field there will be small house built for the keeper of that farm. That's why one never loses hope.

Thanks for your explanation. I saw many dead rabbits along the way.
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

« Reply #9 on: 08 September, 2017, 09:46:49 pm »
Great read and very interesting to hear someone else's view of the UK and a fantastic achievement for yourself.

The van parked on the grass collecting bags at the start was the one I was driving for the duration.

« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2017, 10:20:44 am »
I was afraid to ask what had happened to you as I didn't see your name on the finishers list.
It sounds like you "enjoyed" the majority of the ride and our countryside and embraced the spirit of the event.
Sorry that we couldn't provide better weather.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:55:45 pm »
That was wonderful to read, thank you for sharing it.  Congratulations on finishing.  I think this is my favourite line, audax at its best:
I rode till every part of my brain and body got pissed off.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.