Author Topic: PBP Registration website  (Read 86949 times)

Re: PBP Registration website
« Reply #300 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:12:13 pm »
I recall catching a rider from Tennessee, one LEL, somewhere near the Scottish border.  I was in shorts and a jersey, and he was wearing everything he had.

« Reply #301 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:12:38 pm »

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #302 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:33:03 pm »
Thread is getting off topic.  Please do not post unless you are commenting on the registration process or providing statistical analysis that shows improving chances for a 200er.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #303 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:21:56 pm »
Thread is getting off topic.  Please do not post unless you are commenting on the registration process or providing statistical analysis that shows improving chances for a 200er.

You're quite new to YACF, aren't you  ;D
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #304 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:04:18 pm »

13 pages in... I thought we'd done quite well this time.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #305 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:10:07 pm »

13 pages in... I thought we'd done quite well this time.

Indeed - no-one's yet ask which colour valve caps increase your chances of getting a pre-reg place.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #306 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:31:45 pm »
Pink valve caps this year i believe  ;D

rob

« Reply #307 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:36:37 pm »
Pink valve caps this year i believe  ;D

Can you get those or will I have to borrow some nail polish ?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #308 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:55:02 pm »
Dragging it back OT

"The Paris-Brest-Paris organizing team shares your frustration for not being able to welcome more than 6,300 people for the PBP'19. We are currently studying alternative solutions to accommodate more people while maintaining the expected security and quality levels. We will get back to you no later than February 17th."

From the PBP Facebook.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #309 on: 01 February, 2019, 03:27:11 pm »
Dragging it back OT

"The Paris-Brest-Paris organizing team shares your frustration for not being able to welcome more than 6,300 people for the PBP'19. We are currently studying alternative solutions to accommodate more people while maintaining the expected security and quality levels. We will get back to you no later than February 17th."

From the PBP Facebook.

The solution is simple: to implement a mandatory exclusion of those riders that have successfully completed PBP on two or more occasions - thus giving others a chance a participate, making it a ride for the many, not the few :demon:
Garry Broad

simonp

« Reply #310 on: 01 February, 2019, 05:02:55 pm »
Dragging it back OT

From the PBP Facebook.

The solution is simple: to implement a mandatory exclusion of those riders that have successfully completed PBP on two or more occasions - thus giving others a chance a participate, making it a ride for the many, not the few :demon:

If they were trying to maximise completion success this seems to be at around 3-4 previous rides.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #311 on: 01 February, 2019, 05:57:11 pm »
Dragging it back OT

From the PBP Facebook.

meanwhile on facebook I see the opposite suggested, from someone who had ridden it 5 times before and feels he deserves a place more than people who are not french that did a longer BRM than him last year..

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #312 on: 01 February, 2019, 06:42:56 pm »
Dragging it back OT

From the PBP Facebook.

It's a problem that's exacerbated by technical advances. Poor eyesight often put an end to qualifying, as the route sheets couldn't be read, GPS solved that. The bikes have got lighter, lighting has advanced beyond recognition, and there are TLC events to pamper the aged Audaxer.

So the Anciens/Anciennes soldier on well into their seventies, while the reach of Audax is extended by the better kit. That's before we even account for the growth of a cycling middle class in emerging nations.

2011 had fewer participants than 2007 though. So the difficulty of PBP can be reasserted by a combination of bad weather and financial meltdown.

rob

« Reply #313 on: 01 February, 2019, 06:50:16 pm »
I’ve done it 5 times.   Just because I have devoted a large chunk of my life to the pursuit of audax does not make me more deserving of a spot.

I really wanted another go and to get in an early group, so I did a 1000 last year.   I’m not sure I would have travelled very far to get a 1000 in but there was one nearby that I really fancied.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #314 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:47:33 pm »

meanwhile on facebook I see the opposite suggested, from someone who had ridden it 5 times before and feels he deserves a place more than people who are not french that did a longer BRM than him last year..

For those who are working towards their ACP Randonneur 5000 or Randonneur 10000 medals, missing out on a PBP can mean having to wait 4 years, and starting again on all the other requirements.

With something like PBP which is run only every 4 years, and has such a finite number of spaces, what is the best way of allocating spaces?

The current system is not perfect, but it's pretty clear. It favours those who have been riding long distances already.

There's something romantic about the going from zero to PBP in a year, but I think given the popularity increase of long distance cycling, it doesn't seem wrong to have the prequalifiers.

Maybe they could have a pool of 300 places allocated by lottery for those who didn't have a prequalifier BRM, but have completed the SR series in the year of the event.

Oh, and if they could accept an alternative 1200 instead of PBP for the Randonneur 5000/10000 awards, it might take some of the pressure off the event[1]

J

[1]I'm guessing those chasing these medals are in a minority tho... It's the only reason I want to do PBP
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #315 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:03:32 am »

Oh, and if they could accept an alternative 1200 instead of PBP for the Randonneur 5000/10000 awards, it might take some of the pressure off the event[1]

This focus on PBP has always made me think they are very silly awards.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #316 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:13:31 am »
The Randonneur 5000 is ACP's award and it was created when there were no BRMs in other countries, let alone LRMs in France or other countries. There is significant respect for tradition in France, so things don't tend to change much.

PBP is basically the model for 1200s worldwide and its popularity shows that the riders believe it to be the pinnacle of randonneuring/ audax. Yes, there are more challenging, more scenic and even better supported 1200s around the world but there is only 1 PBP and that event is what the vast majority of long distance riders aspire to. The experience of riding PBP is the draw. That PBP helps you qualify for a R5000 medal is trivial in comparison. Just look at how few R5000 medals have been awarded relative to the multitudes who have finished PBP.

I don't have a problem with any particular award being difficult to achieve. Audax Italia previously created a multi-year award that only Italians could qualify for, even if other nationalities had done the qualifying events.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #317 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:23:25 am »
If that's what they want to do - and if people strive to "win" these awards - then that's fine. good luck to them!

Doesn't mean I will have any interest whatsoever :)

(It's kinda like mutual kudos on strava, and other similar social media stuff - or a kid's gang celebrating how great they are. In a treehouse where noone cares what the hell they are upto. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #318 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:47:10 am »
With something like PBP which is run only every 4 years, and has such a finite number of spaces, what is the best way of allocating spaces?

The current system is not perfect, but it's pretty clear. It favours those who have been riding long distances already.

There's something romantic about the going from zero to PBP in a year, but I think given the popularity increase of long distance cycling, it doesn't seem wrong to have the prequalifiers.

It's never been a problem for the French hitherto, and even this edition of PBP will most likely not present them with too many problems - most people who did prequalifers stand a chance of getting a ride [they might have to swell the numbers a little bit]. Those with no qualifiers will obviously have a problem [although if a rider is still interested you may as well do the SR anyway just in case, you never know.]

It's not inconceivable to imagine that riders might be on the borderline with 'only' a 600 prequalifier in 2022. If that were to be the case, I think some kind of preference to those who have not done PBP before but have shown they are capable to riding these kind of distances in the prequalifying year could be given qualification priority. Which ever way you look at it, the organizers might be put in the position of making some kind of decision about selection - decisions that will always be disagreeable to somebody. Unless of course they make the event bigger, but that's a decision of a different nature that would most likely give them an even bigger logistics headache.

I was lucky enough to be one of the romantics in 2007!
Garry Broad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #319 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:59:18 am »
Barry Parslow rode the last of his five PBPs in 1987 and said it had got far too big by then and had lost its allure compared to his first PBP in 1966. Things change.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #320 on: 02 February, 2019, 11:10:36 am »
Barry Parslow rode the last of his five PBPs in 1987 and said it had got far too big by then and had lost its allure compared to his first PBP in 1966.

A real romantic..and a pioneer! - the first Brit according to the AUK site - one of about 270 riders by the looks of it
Garry Broad

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #321 on: 02 February, 2019, 11:36:43 am »
Dragging it back OT

From the PBP Facebook.

Amazing.  There be light at the end of the b road.

Phil W

« Reply #322 on: 02 February, 2019, 03:24:17 pm »
They need to be careful that increasing numbers do not lead to an extended bulge and queues at the controls.  That might knock a number of riders overtime as well as impact negatively on the experience of PBP.  I wonder how accommodation near the start will be faring under the onslaught for next August?

« Reply #323 on: 02 February, 2019, 05:51:30 pm »
ACP's loyalty should initially be to Audax organisations around the world, ...

Not to their compatriots?

That's FF Velo's job. That's the rebranded FFCT, the French Cycle Touring Federation.
It's always worth looking at the logos on shirts to see where allegiances lie.

The French participants in the Touriste category belong to the clubs of the Federation, and there's a strong volunteer input, as there is from CTC in AUK.

Ben T

« Reply #324 on: 02 February, 2019, 08:54:27 pm »
Is LRM/BRM basically like a venn diagram, or is one entirely a subset of the other?
I must admit I had thought they were synonymous.