Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195684 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #575 on: 05 July, 2016, 09:04:56 am »

This "top three tough rides" business; I was thinking that SimonP started this, the MC1K(a) and the HGWI1300 - all of which have a gnarly reputation (not necessarily deserved in each case!). I entered all 3, but only started 2. Did you ride either Mille Cymru? (forgive my Monday morning memory)

And what are your top three??   (I can guess one, if foreign allowed)

Just seen this bit - I won't derail the thread other than to say that this was in the list due to weather and terrain.  Two are foreign rides.

First AUK ride in 13 years of SRs, PBPs, LELs, Mille Alba & Cymru etc. which has defeated me.

Sorry to hear it!  That's an impressive track record.

Yep, they finished  :thumbsup:

Hurray!  They took the option of a B&B in Penrith I believe and I did not see them after that from memory.  I was weighing up that option myself, if the weather overnight had continued to be as bad as during the day it would have made some sense for sure; I was at Penrith around 11pm (from memory, which is buggered up, so could have been anywhere from 10pm-midnight!) and a hotel at that point would have been great.  I think Askrigg closed at 10am, so an earlyish start and bingo.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #576 on: 05 July, 2016, 09:31:17 am »
@ Jonah

Thanks - I assume you finished, too?

« Reply #577 on: 05 July, 2016, 10:24:09 am »
Postie's story is the most striking, he completed the 2100Km Wild Atlantic Way ride, and this one as well. All with his usual good humour, although he did complain about his hands a bit.

« Reply #578 on: 05 July, 2016, 10:38:35 am »
Well, that was blooming hard. only been doing enough this year to keep my RRtY going, so one 200 each month, with a 100 and a 200 ECE tagged onto 200's in Jan and Mar. I didn't even make the effort to lose weight, as I thought it was gonna be easier than the Mille Cymru (it wasn't, thanks Andy!).

Before the event, it was nice to share the train journey with Joolz, and even meet fellow audaxers at 'spoons. I am partial to their veggie curry, but wasn't expecting it to be dearer up north! Seeing some took into the superfood meal made me wonder if I'd made the right choice. Cycled to my hotel in the rain after only two pints, for an early sleep.

Day 1: Awoke earlier than I wanted (5-ish). All packed and in reception at 8am (when it should open). No-one there. Bike visible inside the locked bar/pool room. 8:15 someone arrives for work and lets me retrieve my bike. Begins to rain as I start my 5 mile ride to the start, but it soon stops. Weetabix, toast, two coffees and a chat before the start. I had planned on not doing 30 kph to the first control (as I sometimes do) but the group was rolling along nicely, and it was good chatting to people. Disaster struck when we singled to pass parked cars and an oncoming tractor. After I'd singled the front of the pack seemed to suddenly slow. I thought I'd braked just enough not to touch wheels with the guy in front, and not too hard to catch the guy out behind. I was wrong, and even brought down the guy in front, a slow topple over. I was ashamed (my first time) and sorry for the bloke. He said he was ok, and I really hope he was. The ride up to Winlatter was ok, the rain wasn't (and why I'd considered DNS). Café was full. I fancied soup, went for the meal deal. After the sarnie, I was told no soup. Heart sank. Rode with Diesel through Seascale and the passes. I would have preferred a slightly rougher surface when out of the saddle or zig-zagging. I always go with the plan of getting my breathing under control before a climb, then keeping it that way. On both climbs I lost it, could feel the old ticker beating hard, so walked to the tops. I think we arrived back at Askrigg around 2:30am. I really enjoyed three bowls of pasta, shower and change. Then it was one hours kip on the carpet, no blanket, then 30 mins on a mattress.

Day 2: Weetabix, toast and coffee. Diesel was raring to go. I'd been told the day started with a climb, so was letting my breakfast settle. Didn't enjoy the early climbing (would have on my carbon with no luggage). Great views. Met the Selby CC couple who were talking of packing at Barnard Castle. I tried to talk them out of it, at least get through day 2. I didn't feel like eating at Barnard, just a coffee and cake (easier to digest), but they all went for breakfasts, so I had a (very nice, but couldn't finish it) veggie breakfast and tea. We left the Selby couple there and made our hilly way to Stanhope. I just had a drink there, but Diesel stopped to eat. I rode up the steep hill out of Stanhope at around control closing time. At the top I saw Karl heading down. He told of Sully's problem, and I made the mistake of offering a cable (it was probably quicker for them to go back to Stanhope, assuming there was a bike shop there). Sully had said gears, then we were looking at the brake nipple in the hood. I left them with a brake cable as a bloke at the house we stopped by came to help. They needed pliers and I'd decided to do without them on this trip. As I rode with the crosswind. I realised I'd left the wrong cable. I did think of carrying on, but I'd given them hope, so returned with the gear one (discovered at the finish it was useless, as "universal" covers Shimano and hybrid, but not Campag). Lonesome windy rainy hilly ride towards Kielder, yo-yo-ing with fixie  James towards the control. I arrived first, disheartened the shop was shut. Saw the four, and the pub sign. Had soup, whilst watching them down their pints, tuck into their pub grub, and talk of staying there the night. I was sorely tempted to stop, but I'm stubborn. My only DNF was a mechanical. I said I wasn't tired, and the good thing about night riding is the wind drops (ha ha!). One of the four (sorry, I forget names easily, but I did recognise you) said there was a shop 15 miles away in the next town (I really should look at routes before an event). Think I left the pub about 30 mins inside control closing, without seeing James. Newcastleton was alive with people at one end, all out to see the Royal British Legion Pipe Band. Bought batteries (the spares I brought weren't lasting), Spar isotonic drink, and a nice tasting Kenco macchiato coffee at the shop, and listened to the band down the street. The Spar man said they were finally marching. I cycled down the street, and realised, and realised they'd gone into the one I needed. I stopped and hovered around awhile, eventually walking my bike through the crowds, remounting, and facing the climb ahead. I could hear them playing again as I rode up the hill. I didn't know Diesel wasn't far behind me. I hated the top. It was still windy. You wind your way along, and there were a couple of dead straight bits due west, right into the wind. I remember descending the first time, thinking it was over, looking for the road below, but only seeing one zig-zag up the next hill. If I studied the route and my atlas sections I brought, I'd know how many climbs I faced, so wouldn't get demoralised. Lockerbie took an absolute age. ATM receipt, I carried on my lonely way to Penrith. I still felt ok, surviving on HI5 energy drink and body fat. The descent from Lockerbie was fast. I saw several groups of (audaxers?) cycling the other way. Tiredness was sinking in a bit. I saw a light approaching behind me, and a McD sign ahead. I thought of stopping, but carried on. The light behind had vanished. Stopped in the centre for an atm receipt. Texted the wife on the outskirts to say I'd gone through Penrith (She like s me to text at the controls, even at night, so if she wakes up she knows I'm still moving). Got to a roundabout. "A6 Penrith 15 miles". Heart sank. I'd just gone through Carlisle. Onto the A6. Light behind. Stopped. It was James. He's stopped at McD and still caught me. I'd been singing to keep awake, so it was good to chat to someone. Think it took 90 mins to do the 15 miles to Penrith. After there James stopped for a kip in an inviting BT booth. I carried on, singing what bits of songs I knew again. Birds were beginning the dawn chorus, and it was nice seeing the sun come up. I meant to take a pic of my brevet before handing it in (for the times), but I think I arrived before 7am. No pasta available this time, but the lady (sorry again for no name knowledge) heated up rice pudding. Thought it better this time to sleep in my clothes, found a camping mattress and a thin sheet. Set my alarm for 90 mins, but awoke after 30, to an emptying hall.

Finish this later......

Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #579 on: 05 July, 2016, 11:17:48 am »
What a great ride, one week on from finishing the wild Atlantic way 2100km,the biggest worry was had my legs and the rest of my body recovered?
Answer was just about!!!!

Rode with my normal wheelman and mark from derby,making a 3man team for the whole ride,
Made good time on day one in by 11.30pm
Day 2 was very hard,got to lockerbe in tatters and feeling very low, fish and chips followed by a fast run south sorted things.
Day 3 what a day,dry,sunny and endless steep hills across the moors,great cycling
Day4 a short ride to the finish in the sun, a chain gang for the last 20miles.

Thanks to andy for a great ride, plus thanks to mark and kev for the company.
After over 2000niles in 18 days i am having a rest for a day or two.

« Reply #580 on: 05 July, 2016, 01:05:31 pm »
Wow that was crazy but brilliant. I wrote some notes but they're a bit long.

I have a video which I'll post on here and FB when its ready too

Day1
Fast tandem train for a while, did 10 miles in 28 mins at one point. Thanks Tandem. It wasn’t the only time I would ride in the vicinity of the tandem, our routes crossed (!) a number of times particularly end of days 3 and 4.

Riding with Gareth Baines, Alex Bend and Mateusz Kluska we made very good progress with the first 100km at an average speed of 32kph.

Took shelter in a bus stop as the heavy rain moved in before Whinlatter, and gorged on VEGAN cakes in Siskins cafe which made me very happy.

Hardknott and Wrynose were already known to me, and I knew I could ride up them, just. So I gurned my way up the climbs and got back to Ascrigg at (what I can work out from my Strava ride) must have been just after midnight. 1hr faff + 3hr sleep + 1hr fass meant 5 hours off the bike and I set of day 2 at 5am.

I started day 1 confident of finishing the whole thing, but by the end of the day I was 50%

Day 2
5am start, Gareth and Matt had a more leisurely breakfast so me and Alex set off separately. Saw loads of riders on the climbs at the start of day 2 towards Barnards Castle. I think we stopped at Stanhope, I do remember going in the Coop and getting a single tomato, 2 bananas, salted nuts and 4 bread rolls. We knew this was a tough stage because our moving average was 18kph.

2 hours later I had lost Alex, presumed to be to a food establishment, but I really didn’t know. Stood in another bus shelter for 10 mins while heavy rain passed, and no sign of Alex still. Then had a text informing me of his DNF which I was gutted about.

Plodded onto Keilder at barely 19kph into headwind.

“Village store closed between 1-2pm” CRAP!!! It was 1:25 and I wasn’t keen on waiting around. I was half minded to turn back to Ascrigg and bail. I had looked at the weather forecast and I understood there to be a south-westerly all day. Which meant a 100mile deathmarch down from Locherbie and a potential 4-5-6am finish which would ruin the ride. The closed shop was the last thing I needed.
I climbed to the top of the village and got the car garage “Pitsop” to sign my card. As I was leaving they suggested the Angler’s Arms pub and gave me directions. The pub was warm, had a open fire, and two friendly dogs competing for the attention of all the patrons of which I was a popular one. Probably my strong odour!

So a quick pep-talk from the dogs and a good movement from down below I was ‘ready’ to slog it out to Locherbie.

The road to Locherbie was slower than I could have imagined, every bit of progress was cancelled out by the headwind, and problems riding in a straight line. I was talking to Neil V pre-ride about the Thorn Audax and how it just goes true and straight - this is what I needed right now…

In Newcastleton I got a fresh, ripe peach and other assorted nutrients from a Spar shop, and saw a few other riders had stopped in an adjacent cafe. Saw Marcus JB roll past just as I was leaving.

Climbed fairly strongly up onto the moors or highlands or whatever they’re called and chatted to some highland cattle with gurt horns. The tandem approached me as I was climbing but they dropped back and I didn’t see them again until Ascrigg.

Some minging chips in Locherbie and I said hi to Reg T and MarcusJB.

Somewhere after Locherbie my left knee had malfunctioned and I was unable to ride out of the saddle for the rest of the ride.

Left Locherbie expecting a 4am finish, but there was a tailwind for hour upon hour, and Reg kindly towed me for hour upon hour and I get back to Ascrigg at 02:30am.

On arrival as Ascrigg I was having trouble finding vegan food, the tinned spagetti looked amazing and I was about to have a bucket load until I realised it was the kind with chunks of animal matter in it. That’s fine I’ll have the pasta I thought, but I was in a cheese sauce … dammit. So 4 slices of bread and jam filled the gap instead.

2.5hrs sleep at the end of day 2. At this point I was very doubtful of finishing, and even then I didn’t realise how difficult day 3 was going to be.

Day 3
I think I started a bit later on day 3, maybe 8am? Gareth B took a nice photo of me as I was about to go. Alex was there to wish me well and told me his plight. I didn’t really want to go but eventually I did. Lovely tailwind to Robin Hood’s Bay (RHB) and a brief stop at Yarm for a coffee saying hi to Aiden (VC167) and MarcusJB along the way.

It dawned on me that I still had to do a coast-to-coast to finish the ride, which was daunting. And there was a headwind.

Double portion of chips and two espresso’s at RHB was 100% required before the climb out of the bay. This is a climb with a 5 minute KOM on Strava and I took 23 mins. It was so hard I was weaving all over the road getting toe-overlap problems with the front wheel too often.

I knew there would be a headwind and some lumps before Rosedale Chimney, but I wasn’t expecting how bad it was. Words include dreadful, frightful, extreme, ghastly, beastly and desperate. I wasn’t long before I was walking up the steep ones. I think I walked two of them before the Chimney.

I looked on my garmin profile and saw what looked like the Rosedale Chimney elevation profile approaching, and I cleared it with ease - because it wasn’t the Chimney. My mind was getting desperate and that was a final punch in the guts which I didn’t need.

Ironically I managed to get some salted nuts down my throat and became a bit more cheerful ad the Chimney approached for real. I knew this was the last major hill of the entire ride. I walked the steep bits and rode the rest. Two riders passed me on the Chimney and I wished them well. One of them rode the entire thing!!!

Met Adam from Audax Hackney on the way to Thirsk at another espresso stop, and yo-yo’d with him for a while. Its very nice to have another rider in the distance to focus on. I got some advice on my bad knee.

This is where the tandem caught us and I caught a ride to Thirsk services (21:02hrs) where I had another 2 espressos and layered up for the cold night section.

I was deep into unknown territory with my caffeine dependence at this point, having had about 4 caffeine gums and 6 coffees. The main concern of mine was losing time and body heat from having to curl up at the side of the road.

Gareth B was back at base (probably getting the beers in) sending encouragement via messenger. I was carrying his Spot Tracker after his DNF so my progress was being followed which made me feel a bit better. I was at Masham, slogging it uphill to Ascrigg. Stopping often for 20 secs, to walk. My muscles needed a rest as I couldn’t ride out of the saddle.

I stayed awake and made it to Ascrigg at around 01:00.

Day 4
Maybe 4 hours sleep and a 6am?? Departure set me up for a relaxed finish. I met Jon Banks for ACB who told me about his fight with the time-limit and sleep deprivation which puts my ride into context. Jon only had 1hr off the bike before starting day 4, and was riding really strongly still. Does he ever get sleepy!?!?

At this point my nutrition was a half jar of Biscoff spread for which I pinched a spoon from a control somewhere. This stuff is 100% always digestible and was perfect, if a bit strange-looking sticking up from my top-tube bag.

My knee meant my power output couldn’t spike, so hills were slow and my aero position made the flats relatively fast. This all meant that riding in a group was uncomfortable so I made myself drop off the back a few times. Equally I was steaming ahead on the flats at low perceived effort.

Towards the end I was fast-passed by a few fellow riders and hooked up with them to chaingang the last 12 miles or so. Last 45 mins at 30.5kph felt very fast and very difficult!!
Lovely to see everyone again at the finish in Bispham and a huge sense of achievement. About 2.5 hours to spare before the time-limit.

« Reply #581 on: 05 July, 2016, 01:31:09 pm »
Well what an adventure; the hardest ride I’ve ever done! A really tough challenge throughout with rain, headwinds, wilderness and relentless climbs – the ride had it all and set against a back-drop of stunning scenery.

Riding with wheelman Postie and Derby Mark, all of us like-minded, helped a lot; with gallows humour and banter helping on the hills and the big K needing to be ridden on every leg, especially day 2 when we knew we were in for a late, late finish having been climbing all morning.

Feeling pretty battered this morning !!
Lover of the greatest invention of all time - the bicycle

« Reply #582 on: 05 July, 2016, 01:32:05 pm »

On arrival as Ascrigg I was having trouble finding vegan food, the tinned spagetti looked amazing and I was about to have a bucket load until I realised it was the kind with chunks of animal matter in it. That’s fine I’ll have the pasta I thought, but I was in a cheese sauce … dammit. So 4 slices of bread and jam filled the gap instead.

It's funny how the memory plays tricks. That was the situation on Friday night. On Saturday night we had a Quorn bolognese, with cous cos, or mashed potato for the wheat intolerant, and beans on toast, in response to comments from vegans and non-dairy. There was soya milk available as well.
With riders more spaced-out during the second night, we felt that keeping pasta on the go as well would mean that it would end up sticky and congealed.
Riders also ate a lot of cereal, and we had biscuits on the tables. There were only two of us for most of the night, and the dishwasher proved a boon.

« Reply #583 on: 05 July, 2016, 01:46:56 pm »
A quick canter through some of the day 1 video. There's an enormous amount of colour grading still to do with five different cameras on the go, best seen at 720p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JWdisLuKgA

Chris S

« Reply #584 on: 05 July, 2016, 03:11:13 pm »
A quick canter through some of the day 1 video. There's an enormous amount of colour grading still to do with five different cameras on the go, best seen at 720p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JWdisLuKgA

Excellent  :thumbsup:

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #585 on: 05 July, 2016, 03:23:35 pm »
Well that was beyond tough - even in perfect weather conditions, it would have been a very difficult ride, but the wind (and rain) on day 2 meant that I came perilously close to my first DNF. The following is a bit of a brain dump, and may not read particularly well – it would be fair to say that I’m not exactly with it today!

It was a quick start on day 1 with a tailwind, and a big group as far as Arnside, then some intermittent, but very heavy showers as we worked our way through the lakes. Siskins food was very good, but also very slow, although at this stage, I didn’t realise how much a factor time was going to be. A decent run down to Seascale and then inland to take on Hardknott / Wrynose, which were tough, but manageable (mainly thanks to having day 1 legs). I was making decent time at this point and a quick Tescos raid in Ambleside set me up for the final 108k to Askrigg, which was tailwind assisted, and relatively fast, in spite of a few lumps. A quick feed, a proper bed (I was lucky in that respect, it would seem) and an OK sleep meant that I was in relatively good shape going into day 2.

With hindsight, I should have left an hour earlier on day 2, but I wasn’t to know how long a day it would be. Cross/headwinds, prolonged showers and lots of climbing meant a very slow overall average, despite keeping stops to a minimum, and by Kielder (home to a very angry local – you had to be there…), it became pretty clear that it would be a very long night, even with the promised cross/tailwind in the 140k from Lockerbie. Things got harder past Newcastleton, with a steady drag over the moors in my lowest gears because of the (now relentless) headwind. Some good company from a rider from Coventry, whose name escapes me, was appreciated. I spent a lot of time doing the maths on the run in to Lockerbie, working out what time I was likely to get back to Askrigg and how little sleep I’d get before having to take on day 3 – it was quite a bleak prospect. After the warzone that was Carlisle on Saturday night at 9.30pm was negotiated, I pushed on to Penrith, where I’d been told that some people were booking hotels, adding even more doubts in my mind. Thankfully Adam from ACH turned up at the garage control just after I did, and we agreed to ride together through the night, finishing just after 4am. I rode with him for much of the remainder of the ride, which made things a lot easier, and I hope my company and pacing on the climbs went some way to paying back the extra work he was doing on the flatter stages (I just don’t have enough power to assist much in group riding). It was towards the end of day 2 that my Achilles started to play up, and this got progressively worse throughout the ride. By the end of day 3, my right ankle was twice the size of my left, and the ride now became an exercise in pain management. With hindsight, I probably should have packed, but sometimes the bloody mindedness that is such an important attribute in Audax can work to your detriment in making you push on when the sensible decision is to stop.

A couple of hours sleep, and on the road again just after 8 on day 3 to tackle the North York Moors. I’d been here before on family holidays, but was too young to appreciate what an amazing area it is, especially for cycling – the guys that are local are really lucky. The tailwind assisted moorland stage from Yarm to RHB was as good as any I’ve ridden, and the (locally made) fishcake and chips hit the spot and set me up for the steep bits to follow. No question the next section was tough, but I’m built for steep stuff, and managed to stay clipped in all the way around, despite a few toe overlap wobbles. The headwind drag up to Sutton Bank was demoralising, with fast traffic and a rough surface, although there was some payback in the descent (how many A roads have 25% gradients?). I managed to control at an alternate garage in Thirsk (was expecting there to be more in the town), and then headed onwards on my own as the sun set, with about 60k to go, and a gradually diminishing headwind. Aidan F caught me up at this point, and stuck around for some welcome company, and we popped into a pub just before closing to grab a coffee, and the obligatory “you must be mad” conversation with a couple of bemused, but very encouraging locals. It was a tough push into Askrigg for about 1am, with me going into uncharted sleep deprivation territory (600k being my longest ride previously). But knowing the back of the ride was broken spurred me on.

I would have loved the final day to have been a procession to the arrivee, but the Achilles issues put paid to that, with plenty of ibuprofen just about keeping the pain manageable. The climb over the Pennines was wonderful, partly because I knew that it was near enough downhill all the way to Blackpool once we crossed the watershed, but mainly for the stunning scenery and sunshine. A few fast groups came past us going very strongly, and a quick roadside café pit stop broke the stage up nicely. Big shout to ACH Adam for doing at least an hour’s work into the headwind after Lancaster, whilst I studied the mudguard on his Airnimal at close quarters (I’ll buy you a beer in due course). Soon enough we’d finished, and I was glad to collapse into one of the very comfortable sofas knowing that I’d pushed myself harder than I’d ever done before, and (just about) come through. Time will tell how long it’ll take for the ankle to heal and for me to get back on the bike – Hereward the Wake in a fortnight might be a tough ask!

Lastly, a huge thanks to Andy and his team of helpers who really made the difference at the Askrigg control, I suspect some of them had less sleep than I did over the long weekend! Thanks also to the many DNFs who stuck around to help and gave so much friendly support, as well as the guys on the road riding at a similar overall average to me, who offered company, banter and much needed encouragement. Most definitely an epic event which I’ll remember for a long time! It was nice to get the perspective of someone at the other end of the field from Flatlander, who I met on the train back to London – I very much doubt I’ll ever be in a situation where I can think about pubs and a few pints on an event like this  :thumbsup:

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #586 on: 05 July, 2016, 04:46:41 pm »
"I am interested in  a medium Jersey if anyone has one spare."

Commemorative jerseys, priced at £36.99 + p&p can still be ordered at: http://forcegb.com/AMP-event-jersey.html

Andy Corless

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #587 on: 05 July, 2016, 04:53:27 pm »
I've got a spare jersey in large (unworn) if anyone is interested - happy to post it and will accept sensible offers. Drop me a PM if you're interested  :thumbsup:

LMT

« Reply #588 on: 05 July, 2016, 05:04:58 pm »
And I've got a medium jersey unworn if anyone wants it. I'm not one for wearing a jersey of a ride when I was a DNS (had an off which resulted in a NOFF on the Italian job a few weeks ago). £25 posted.

« Reply #589 on: 05 July, 2016, 05:15:19 pm »
Day 3: Couldn't see any Weetabix, so had cornflakes and toast (I arrived too late for quorn bolog???). I spotted Ian, who I last saw about to have his coffee at the Arnside pub. He'd disappeared by the time I came out with mine. We had a catch up at breakfast, and I rode much of that hilly day with him. The NY Moors are lovely, as are the descents. Shame about the climbing though. After the veggie option of chips and mushy peas at the RHB chippy, I let Ian (and fixie James who we met there) go on ahead, so I could digest the chips before what was to come. The climb out of the bay was hard, and I was embarrassed to be overtaken by a schoolkid on a racer. Waiting to cross the A171, I thought about calling my dad, meeting him in Scarborough for a drink, then heading out on the A170 to rejoin the route. But it's an AAA ride, so you gotta do the climbs to earn the points. My brakes held out on the windy descents, but my seizing up gear changes meant I didn't start riding up a concreted steep bit until it eased. That climb was looking like one I just descended, and I was worried I'd done a switchback or something. All was good, as there were newer climbs along the pink line on the Etrex to have a go at. I was grateful I was progressing so slowly that I didn't meet any oncoming traffic. As I descended I looked across the valley for signs of Ian, James, anyone, going up Rosedale. No-one. I felt alone. I was talking to myself for motivation up Rosedale, and got into a rhythm. However, I turned a corner, tried to zig but was slowing up, nearly came off, so got off and walked (touring shoes!) until it eased. Rode to the top as a speedy van came down. Took a selfie at the sign. 9:45pm. I descended quickly, encountering a sheep at the bottom who played chicken with me. I lost. 10:15 by the time I got on the A170. Saw a tail light ahead. Chased it down, expecting it to be Ian. It was James. I was glad to have someone to ride with again. We rode hard together, and eventually caught Ian who appeared to be waiting/snacking so far up the drag to Sutton. The descent was glorious (even in the dark). I felt for James's spinning legs. All was shut at Thirsk, even the 'spoons (just before midnight). We all got atm receipts, and were met by another fixie (sorry again). He said somat like "60k to Askrigg, 20kph, three hours". "If we don't stand around" said Ian. We set off, scanning the horizon for a McD sign. We kept splitting a bit. I went ahead as Ian and fixie wanted a cat nap. James was somewhere behind by then. I thought my pace was ok, but it took a lot longer than three hours. Tiredness meant I kept stopping to see if there were any lights behind, as I kept drifting towards the verge, and seeing things in the trees and bushes. I can't remember what time I arrived (maybe 4am), but Andy saw me with my bike and asked if I was just leaving! I was really grateful for the tom soup and rice pud he nuked. I found two sheets and three chairs. I didn't want to hunt around all the rooms downstairs for somewhere to sleep (had I known there were actual beds available..). I didn't set my alarm , expecting to wake up after 30 mins with an increasing bad back.

Day 4: When I awoke it was gone 6am, and I worked out I'd probably had 90 mins. Getting up was agony. Super stiff legs. No time for a shower or brekky. I saw Ian getting himself ready, and one or two of the gang of four from Kielder who asked if I was still riding the event. I think I still was. I was almost the last one to leave, a bit after 6:30 I think. I went passed a few cyclists, legs still aching, unsure how long it would take me, as I'd heard of a long climb, and the headwind was still there. Then everyone overtook me, and I watched with sadness a grupetto fade into the distance. I was determined not to fail, and broke out my emergency veggie fruit pastilles, full of sugar inside and out, but 10g of carbs per sweet, and easy to digest. I also used my last sachet of Hi5 energy powder. Trying as hard as I could to maintain 20-25kph on that rolling headwind climb, I passed two cyclists who didn't look to be on the event (no rackpacks and both looked fresh). Was I Lanterne Rouge. I remembered two blokes sorting out a mechanical at Askrigg, and they passed me somewhere. I remember stopping in a town to look at how many kms were left, and decided I should be fine, but wanted to make it by noon, just in case. I felt like I didn't need to eat or drink coffee, but when I saw the snack van in the layby, I decided to have a coffee. How delighted I was to see fellow MPers there too. I then spotted egg bap on the menu, so had that with my coffee and chat. I set off on my own, hoping my stop wouldn't be my downfall. There were some rubbish roads around Lancaster. My wrists, legs and arms really felt it. I went as low as I could into the wind on the flats, until my neck or back ached, then sat up for stints. I kept looking behind as a bloke gradually caught and overtook me. I kept him in my sights until the low battery warning on my Etrex flashed up. I decided to stop and rummage for the spare batteries (my bag was organised at the start). I made an error at the second big O outside Blackpool, taking the third exit, missing the Norcross one. Heavy traffic, so I walked on the grass to the cycle path at the O. I'd already missed a turn near the beginning, my elastic band hiding a routesheet instruction (I use the sheet first, then usually glance at the Etrex). I was glad to arrive around 11:45, 15 mins or so quicker than MC2. I had tea and cereal, planning on going to 'spoons for the veggie burger, chips and pint deal. The comfy chair and chat were great. The legs killed.

Thanks go to Andy and helpers for an immense undertaking. I'd be scared to put on something like this.

Lessons learned: study the route (although it sounds like this caused some to DNF), ride faster/lighter, to get to sleep controls earlier for a better bed and food (probably those who arrive last need it more?), and write down names when I hear them!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #590 on: 05 July, 2016, 07:25:32 pm »
You certainly weren't lanterne rouge, Bikeabilityman, as Steve finished right on the time limit.

I've sorted out the usable photos, which are all at https://www.flickr.com/photos/30024450@N04/albums/72157670660785225

Day 1 - Paul D and Toby in Little Langdale:

Day 2 - gorgeous morning in Wensleydale:

Descending to Swaledale (I think the front two are Joolz and Brian, who we shuttled with along the route):

Aidan and tandem climbing away from the Greta:

And the important stuff :P The tough start to day 2 called for breakfast in both Barnie and Stanhope (we went to the Dales Centre, which Steve recommended, and rightly so - mince pie and gravy at 9 am was perfect):

Second-to-last stop, the burger van near Caton, as garage forecourts are getting too middle class nowadays...

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #591 on: 05 July, 2016, 08:10:21 pm »
Descending to Swaledale (I think the front two are Joolz and Brian, who we shuttled with along the route):

That is an absolute cracker!

« Reply #592 on: 05 July, 2016, 08:19:11 pm »
Keep the photos coming i'm waiting for one me me to pop up :)

My videos should be processed by now, you can see them on youtube

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1gyav4AI8M

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhs6obwH0-8

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #593 on: 05 July, 2016, 08:29:01 pm »
That burger van smelt amazing.

Those are great pics deano
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #594 on: 05 July, 2016, 09:13:08 pm »

Great videos, Adam :thumbsup:

(I can't have been the only to have bumped onto the pavement and around the temporary traffic lights around Windermere, can I?)

« Reply #595 on: 05 July, 2016, 09:35:10 pm »
My fullest admiration for anyone who took part, and to my clubmate bikeabilityman for his epic adventure and equally epic write up.

« Reply #596 on: 06 July, 2016, 09:11:03 am »
Audax Club Hackney would like to thank Mr Corless and his team for an outstanding long distance cycling event.  The club saw 7-riiders taking part, 5 of whom got round the gruelling leviathan from hell route.  Those included Adam 'Kinzey' Kinsey, Julian 'Joolz' Wiliams, James 'Skilly' Skillen, Paul 'Paul' Manasseh & Justin 'Jonah' Jones

Ed Holt and Joss Wallace battled hard against the elements but unfortunately didn't make the entire distance this time.

ACH

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #597 on: 06 July, 2016, 09:44:47 am »

Cracking video Adam, captured the enormity of the event very well - I was the chap who you filmed (just) making it up Rosedale Chimney (30/30 gearing helps). I'm so glad there's evidence of this, I was starting to doubt I did it myself  ;)

« Reply #598 on: 06 July, 2016, 10:15:05 am »
Adam, thanks, those are superb videos.  The unintentional arrogance of youth: riding one-handed up Rosedale Chimney, moaning about being slow!

Did I see Sean Towneley from Colne briefly at one pause for a snack?

Excellent!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #599 on: 06 July, 2016, 10:21:32 am »
Great photos Deano!

Thanks for a great ride Andy - I really enjoyed it. Thank you also to club mate Paul M and to the mighty John Banks for pulling our sorry arses round one of the hardest rides this side of Nagasaki